D&D 5E The Flaw in Each Campaign Adventure (Spoilers)

Retreater

Legend
In all the official WotC adventures I’ve run, there have been issues I would’ve handled differently. Some are relatively minor, while others knocked the adventure off course. Obviously, these are all my personal opinions, and what didn’t work for my groups might work great for your groups.

Feel free to share your experiences and what you would do differently/change to improve the adventure.

(Of course, spoilers follow.)

Storm King’s Thunder

Early in the adventure the party is investigating the ruined village of Nightstone that has been destroyed by a cloud giant attack, with little information about what tribe did it or why. Out of nowhere, a ridiculous NPC appears in a comical flying tower with a hat on! This is a “friendly” cloud giant who the party is to assume isn’t going to attack him after finding evidence that the village was destroyed by a similar giant. This NPC (Zephyros) is the information dump, quest giver, and ferryman for the beginning of the campaign.

This setup really got my campaign off on the wrong foot. I was playing catchup for the rest of the campaign because my group didn’t trust him.

In the end the political maneuvering of the different Giant clans was way too complex with a shape-shifting dragon behind everything (and very little clues to figure it out). A simple, stream-lined sandbox adventure to take down evil giant chieftains in the Savage North would’ve been epic.

Tomb of Annihilation

While this was one of the best official adventures I’ve run for 5e, there are a few flaws. The driving impetus of the campaign – the Death Curse – is so deadly and fast-moving that it overshadows the rest of the adventure. The best part of the adventure (the jungle exploration and searching for the Lost City) is blasted through to get to the endgame to save the world. Plus there is almost no direction on how to find Omu besides just walking and hoping you stumble into it.

The Death Curse countdown should absolutely be eliminated. Find another less time-sensitive McGuffin.

Princes of the Apocalypse

Evil elemental cultists wreaking havoc on the Realms. Sounds pretty cool, right? So why in the unholy name of Lorraine Williams do you start off the adventure with a confusing dungeon of roleplaying opportunities with people who may or may not be villains? The Air Cult at the start of this adventure throws off the whole adventure. I’m an experienced DM who has tried running this adventure three times, and even I don’t understand what the point of this is.

If you want to have skullduggery, enemies switching sides, and more, put that stuff later in the campaign. Don’t kick off your epic campaign with villains with unclear motivations and a confused party.

Hoard of the Dragon Queen

My initial take on this one is to simply burn it with fire. I guess to improve the main flaw I see with it is to add an actual adventure with player agency to the railroad structure that has been given to the group.

Out of the Abyss

Every time I’ve run this game the horde of strange NPCs following the group after the prison break has been a challenge to GM. I’ve tried running them as NPCs, putting them in the background, killing them off, giving players control of them. They need to be dealt with somehow. I’m wondering now if it’s not best to just give some of the traits of the NPCs to the characters as backgrounds – which might show up later in the course of the campaign.

Also, in the three times I’ve attempted to run this, it all falls apart at Blingdenstone. The group flees the Underdark here, never to return. The universal feeling is that they are too outmatched after running into numerous demon lords at low level that they just want to escape. Once given the opportunity, that is a satisfying enough ending. In hindsight, having Demogorgon appear when the group is around 3rd level is terrible for pacing and really destroys the arc of the campaign.

Dungeon of the Mad Mage

This one is bad, even as a dungeon crawl. It’s not particularly interesting as a campaign. I would recommend using it only to fill in gaps of your regular campaign and drop in the occasional level as needed and re-write it into your existing campaign.

Descent into Avernus

Ok, I haven’t run this one. But if/when I do, I’m not going to use the ghost toddler NPC guide. It seems to fall into the trap of a guide who can’t be trusted, info/dump. Fool me once with Storm King’s Thunder, I’m not gonna be fooled again.

pogre

Legend
Dungeon of the Mad Mage
My experience is very different and my group had a blast with this one. The factions vying for control of the various levels and memorable NPCs made for a great campaign. For me, it played much better that it read.

We started it after Dragon Heist, which needed a ton of work. I appreciated running DotMM pretty much as written.

MarkB

Legend
Out of the Abyss

Every time I’ve run this game the horde of strange NPCs following the group after the prison break has been a challenge to GM. I’ve tried running them as NPCs, putting them in the background, killing them off, giving players control of them. They need to be dealt with somehow. I’m wondering now if it’s not best to just give some of the traits of the NPCs to the characters as backgrounds – which might show up later in the course of the campaign.
I tried going the "hand them out to players" route, but it was definitely unwieldy, and felt bad when half the players lost 'their' NPC due to tough battles - I was pretty merciless in letting them get killed in combat, to emphasise the stakes.

I ended up ditching them all by the time they got to the Kuo-Toa village, culminating in the sacrificial ceremony happening to be held on a spring tide (coinciding with a full moon) so that Topsy and Turvy went fully feral during the climactic battle.

Also, in the three times I’ve attempted to run this, it all falls apart at Blingdenstone. The group flees the Underdark here, never to return. The universal feeling is that they are too outmatched after running into numerous demon lords at low level that they just want to escape. Once given the opportunity, that is a satisfying enough ending. In hindsight, having Demogorgon appear when the group is around 3rd level is terrible for pacing and really destroys the arc of the campaign.
I got kind-of burned out myself at that point. Having escaped the Underdark, some of the players wanted to carry on and come back for part two, but I bounced hard off the next chapter just reading it, and never could summon up the enthusiasm to run it.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Dungeon of the Mad Mage

This one is bad, even as a dungeon crawl. It’s not particularly interesting as a campaign. I would recommend using it only to fill in gaps of your regular campaign and drop in the occasional level as needed and re-write it into your existing campaign.

This is interesting - I've had the opposite experience with this one so far. I'm playing it with a table of first time players who range in age from 12 to 40 and they're all having a great time with it. We skipped the "Dragon Heist" part because they were already 6th level from some previous sessions and have just been doing a dungeon delve in Undermountain and they're all having a great time.

Retreater

Legend
This is interesting - I've had the opposite experience with this one so far. I'm playing it with a table of first time players who range in age from 12 to 40 and they're all having a great time with it. We skipped the "Dragon Heist" part because they were already 6th level from some previous sessions and have just been doing a dungeon delve in Undermountain and they're all having a great time.
Hmm. I guess maybe it's not "strange" enough for me? Or there's not enough character? Or something just feels generic and off about it? I feel like compared to other dungeons I've run (Rappan Athuk, Tegel Manor, etc.) that it's just sort of bland, boring, and too easy. The detail-free maps likely contribute to this.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I've also noticed issues with the published adventures ranging from small to concerning with the exception of Lost Mines of Phandelver. I think this is mostly due to it's smaller scope covering only levels 1 to 5. It knows exactly what it's doing: being a straight forward adventure suitable for beginners to run, but at the same time not being overly simple to the point of being boring.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Hmm. I guess maybe it's not "strange" enough for me? Or there's not enough character? Or something just feels generic and off about it? I feel like compared to other dungeons I've run (Rappan Athuk, Tegel Manor, etc.) that it's just sort of bland, boring, and too easy. The detail-free maps likely contribute to this.

I suspect audience expectations may be playing into it then. The group I'm playing with doesn't have anything to compare it to and so they're enjoying it, and I specifically picked it to be a "standard" D&D dungeon crawl so it's kind of generic nature is a plus instead of a minus.

(I do agree that the maps are not my favorite. I know a lot of folks really like the retro 1e / B/X feel of the black and white plain grid maps but I'm not one of them.)

Sadras

Legend
Great thread!

Storm King’s Thunder

Early in the adventure the party is investigating the ruined village of Nightstone that has been destroyed by a cloud giant attack, with little information about what tribe did it or why. Out of nowhere, a ridiculous NPC appears in a comical flying tower with a hat on! This is a “friendly” cloud giant who the party is to assume isn’t going to attack him after finding evidence that the village was destroyed by a similar giant. This NPC (Zephyros) is the information dump, quest giver, and ferryman for the beginning of the campaign.

This setup really got my campaign off on the wrong foot. I was playing catchup for the rest of the campaign because my group didn’t trust him.

In the end the political maneuvering of the different Giant clans was way too complex with a shape-shifting dragon behind everything (and very little clues to figure it out). A simple, stream-lined sandbox adventure to take down evil giant chieftains in the Savage North would’ve been epic.

My table didn't have a problem with the tower and Zephyros. Sure they were initially apprehensive but they soon saw him for what he was - a likable, small-folk loving, wizened-old giant. There are ways to make the tower's stairs more enticing i.e. describe how an impressively bright red welcome carpet slowly unfolds and rolls out over the steps reaching all the way to the bottom - making it less ominous.

Also, I had his visions for heroes/saviours of the giant problem come in the form of a chessboard, with the one side being evil men, draconic, shape-shifting pieces and wet, while the other was represented with pawns wearing various faction insignia and heroes (PCs) in the back row as well as foreshadowing important NPCs (Harshnag the Grimm as one of the Castles). He explained to them that every time he tried to pick up the "good-aligned" pieces, they would turn to smoke and would never re-appear on the chessboards of future Contact Greater Plane castings. This he understood being that his role was not to interfere directly in the dealing with the giant-small-folk fall-out.

Hoard of the Dragon Queen

My initial take on this one is to simply burn it with fire. I guess to improve the main flaw I see with it is to add an actual adventure with player agency to the railroad structure that has been given to the group.

I absolutely LOVE this adventure, but I did make it my own and I have had the benefit of hindsight from so many others who have run this before me - so I do agree with your advice on this.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Tomb of Annihilation

While this was one of the best official adventures I’ve run for 5e, there are a few flaws. The driving impetus of the campaign – the Death Curse – is so deadly and fast-moving that it overshadows the rest of the adventure. The best part of the adventure (the jungle exploration and searching for the Lost City) is blasted through to get to the endgame to save the world. Plus there is almost no direction on how to find Omu besides just walking and hoping you stumble into it.

The Death Curse countdown should absolutely be eliminated. Find another less time-sensitive McGuffin.
I haven’t run this one yet, but to me it would seem that the time sensitivity is the key selling point. Without that element, it’s just a hex wander, but the death curse gives the adventure focus, tension, and drive. I could see slowing down it’s progress to keep the ticking clock from being too oppressive, but I wouldn’t dream of removing it completely.

S'mon

Legend
Princes of the Apocalypse

Evil elemental cultists wreaking havoc on the Realms. Sounds pretty cool, right? So why in the unholy name of Lorraine Williams do you start off the adventure with a confusing dungeon of roleplaying opportunities with people who may or may not be villains? The Air Cult at the start of this adventure throws off the whole adventure. I’m an experienced DM who has tried running this adventure three times, and even I don’t understand what the point of this is.

If you want to have skullduggery, enemies switching sides, and more, put that stuff later in the campaign. Don’t kick off your epic campaign with villains with unclear motivations and a confused party.

My group love the Feathergale knights. But they only went there in session 5 - T1/M6 1491 DR session 5 Feathergale Spire XP 25+6=31 Lvl 4>5 - after playing through all the intro material, plus a near TPK at Scarlet Moon Hall. Two PCs eventually joined the Knights and got their own Hippogriffs. The PCs and the knights together stormed Sacred Stone Monastery and put the earth monks to the sword - 9-10/7/1491 DR Session 10 Attack on the Sacred Stone Monastery XP 60+8=68+1=69 Lvl 8>9. The adventure is set up as a sandbox, I agree the PCs shouldn't be funnelled to Feathergale right away.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases