• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Freedom Brigade

DMAC

First Post
I'm working on illustrations of the characters from a Golden Age Mutants & Masterminds RPG adventure. I'm just doing these for fun as spare time permits (although they may show up in a future sourcebook).

I did these roughs on Friday to figure out the costumes:

fbdoodles2.jpg

And today I finished rough pencils for Invisible Agent and Madame Radium:

iarough.jpg

mrrough.jpg

I'm probably going to do most of the inking with a brush pen for a bolder Golden Age look.

Some other ideas for Commander U.S.A. I've been playing with:
fbdoodles1.jpg

Arkhandus

First Post
Cool stuff! :D

A few comments on the styles of the costumes....

Hmm.... The top page's illustrations seem best for Golden Age versions of the characters, compared to the other illos of Commander USA and Madame Radium. The more modern-ized costumes for them look cooler I think, but not so appropriate for the Golden Age.

I like the lower left concept of Commander USA's costume, but I kinda prefer the mask with the eagle, stars, and stripes on it. Still, the all-covering golden mask is more Golden Age style, anyway, so that costume's probably best if you don't stick with the original, military officer-style costume.

The just-stripes mask, though kinda neat and kinda intimidating, looks too much like an oldfashioned convict's garb turned sideways.

DMAC

First Post
Thanks. The military uniform design for Commander U.S.A. was just an experiment but it's growing on me. I'm still debating going back to a more "traditional" spandex costume though. As for Madame Radium, the costume in the pencil version is basically the same as the color sketch up top, but I decided that a longer dress was more appropriate for someone with "Madame" in their name. :)

DMAC

First Post
I had a chance to do the pencils for three more of the Freedom Brigade pieces this weekend:

Dr. X
drxrough.jpg

Sea Hawk
shrough.jpg

The Magister
magrough.jpg

Kryndal Levik

First Post
Love these- in fact, Madame Radium is very similar to my concept for my City of Villains character. :)

Are all of these heroes? Dr. X and The Magister seem more "sinister" than the others- doesn't mean they're villains, but they're definitely darker than the others.

DMAC

First Post
Yeah, they're all heroes. I see The Magister as being a bit of a sinister anti-hero vigilante along the lines of Batman or The Shadow and The Spider from the pulps. Striking fear into the hearts of evildoers.

Dr. X is supposed to be more mysterious than sinister. I just really wanted to use the "X helmet" design. :)

Kryndal Levik

First Post
DMAC said:
Yeah, they're all heroes. I see The Magister as being a bit of a sinister anti-hero vigilante along the lines of Batman or The Shadow and The Spider from the pulps. Striking fear into the hearts of evildoers.

Dr. X is supposed to be more mysterious than sinister. I just really wanted to use the "X helmet" design. :)

I agree- the "X" design is really cool. :)

Remove ads