Kickstarter The Gaming Stage - A fantasy-themed RPG game board

monstermaker

Villager
A fantasy-themed RPG game board called The Gaming Stage is headed to Kickstarter in November. Three versions of the distressed wood and forged steel product will be available along with several add-on kits to increase its versatility. A portable version with dry-erase play surface is available, as well as two more substantial units with a hinged lid to allow maps drawn on 24x32 grid paper to be inserted under an acrylic play surface.

We can't all justify buying an entire gaming table, but still might enjoy bringing something special to our gaming sessions.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Oh, now this is NICE. The portable would be a good addition to my digital battlemap display. I'm a big fan of gaming surfaces that you can put on tables and put away when not in use. I've yet to find a gaming table that meets all my needs. Much better to have a large, sturdy, affordable table and put my digital display, terrain, or perhaps one of your game boards on it.

The more I look at this the more I like it. I could see getting the Encampment portable version, with the dry-erase acrylic upgrade, folding-feet upgrade, and wall-hanging kit. Would that work?

You mention the dry-erase acrylic being avaialble for the folding version. But if I get the non-folding version, am I stuck with the lower-grade, standard acrylic and wet-erase markers?

Would the folding feet work will with the portable version? I like having the battlemap above the table so you can put some measuring tools, terrain peices, etc. under it out of the way. Especially useful in conventions or at FLGS where table surface space is at a premium.

My other question/worry is about the acrylic getting scuffed? Or maybe more of a concern given my actual experience, someone accidently using a permanent marker on it. How easy is it to replace the acrylic? It look permanent. Does the acrylic go into the frame beyond the studs so that the studs go through it? In that case, a ruined acrylic covering ruins the entire board. But if the acrylic can be put in and remove, then it would be replacable.

Do you have a Kickstarter stub page or whatever they call it that I can follow to get an alert when it goes live?

monstermaker

Villager
Thanks for you interest. It's been really handy on my table for a few years now.

The Portable Encampment version does not actually use acrylic. The printed surface is covered with a dry-erase vinyl laminate. Mine has held up nicely for the last several years. When it starts to get a little ghosting, a rag with a bit of wd40 makes it clean and slick again, believe it or not.

The panel holding the graphic in place on that version is bonded in to make it as durable as possible when being carried or dropped.. That being said, if things do get damaged, a new dry erase print can be applied right over the existing one. It is a self adhesive vinyl, and will go on like a big sticker. It's actually easier than you might think, and instructions would be provided with the replacement.

The versions that have the acrylic do allow for easy replacement if you went that direction. It is held in with screws.

The portable version can get the folding feet, as well as a hanging kit. It would not however have the padlock and hasp shown on the website as that is functional on the bigger versions to keep it closed on the wall.

The Kickstarter preview page should be available this weekend. I'll post it here when it is.

Thanks,
Mike

monstermaker

Villager
The Mimic is an Unlockable add-on for the upcoming campaign starting Nov 4th.

mimic header.jpg

Remove ads