The GMF campaign setting

Catavarie

First Post
Well being as I'm a Coremonger I'm going to borrow a bit from the RPG I've been working on for a while now and create an Island nation of gnomes that have developed Clock & Gear and steam powered machinery, but also keep with their inate magical ability.

Catavarie said:
Well being as I'm a Coremonger I'm going to borrow a bit from the RPG I've been working on for a while now and create an Island nation of gnomes that have developed Clock & Gear and steam powered machinery, but also keep with their inate magical ability.
Cool. I guess I might as well work on the pirates.

Alright, any more suggestions, anyone?

Does anyone want to help me with the pirate nation? I'll probably stat out the Governor-Admiral soon, probably aiming for the level 14 range, fighter/swashbuckler.

themind

Explorer
Do we maybe want two groups of Pirates, an honorable group and an dishonorable group. But most other nations sees them as the same. Using the Dread Pirate PrC.

Well, I was planning on making all of the pirates honorable, just to varying degrees of morality. They all have strict CoC, but how much they loophole is another story. Overall, they're almost all in the same nationality, just some are less bloodthirsty than others.

Nightcloak

First Post
On the subject of Magic vs. Power vs. Optional Rules:

Since this is a community project, and would hopefully involve community members playing it in the furture, I would recommend we start with just the core rules. Or at least a location that uses them as a starting point. This way, those who just want to run a standard D&D game can just go for it and use that location. It also serves as a point for others to port the core rules to their specific region/project.

Now thats the starting point. Many people have shown an intrest in branching out into optional material, which is fine. There is TONS of optional material out their from Wizards and 3rd party publishers. This would make each region unique and interesting, plus give members more options. If Chaosevoker wants to run a heavy Psionic game, then he runs a group out of that region, or if players decide they want play warforged and shifters they can have someone run Macrovore's region or port characters from it at least.

There needs to be some streamlining though. Power level, for instance, should be fairly even across the board. Placing a high powered Forgotten Realms type region next door to a bronze age Testement region is just asking for trouble.

Just my two copper pieces.

Nightcloak said:
On the subject of Magic vs. Power vs. Optional Rules:

Since this is a community project, and would hopefully involve community members playing it in the furture, I would recommend we start with just the core rules. Or at least a location that uses them as a starting point. This way, those who just want to run a standard D&D game can just go for it and use that location. It also serves as a point for others to port the core rules to their specific region/project.

Now thats the starting point. Many people have shown an intrest in branching out into optional material, which is fine. There is TONS of optional material out their from Wizards and 3rd party publishers. This would make each region unique and interesting, plus give members more options. If Chaosevoker wants to run a heavy Psionic game, then he runs a group out of that region, or if players decide they want play warforged and shifters they can have someone run Macrovore's region or port characters from it at least.

There needs to be some streamlining though. Power level, for instance, should be fairly even across the board. Placing a high powered Forgotten Realms type region next door to a bronze age Testement region is just asking for trouble.

Just my two copper pieces.

A. Now that we have NC on board, this thread is official. :cool:

B. Good points, especially uniform power level. I still retain my suggestion of mid-power, because it means that there's still always an enemy bigger than the PCs, but nothing is ridiculous.

C. Anyone got a good map-making program, 'cause once we've compiled ideas, it might be good to make an at least rough map of what we generally want.

D. My suggestion. We make it somewhat like ancient Greece geographically. Regions are separated by huge mountain ranges, with channels and seas separating the various land masses. The nations are primarily ship builders, and the islands range from small islands to entire mini-continents. Then we have one large continent on, lets say the left. We have a few nations primaraly along the coast, a few inland, and then a massive range of mountains separating them from the rest of the continent. Everything beyond those mountains is unknown territories, since no one has ever returned from a trip to the other side. So we have one coastal edge of a continent on the left, with a huge array of islands offshore to the right.

Macrovore

First Post
themind said:
Do we maybe want two groups of Pirates, an honorable group and an dishonorable group. But most other nations sees them as the same. Using the Dread Pirate PrC.
maybe the leader is the dread pirate Roberts?

Nightcloak

First Post
If I survive the holidays, I'll take on the Dwarves.

Hmmm...

I have a few concepts I have always wanted to try out...

* Runs off to watch a few klingon heavy episodes of start trek * :]

Remove ads