The Goodman Gang in The Mysterious Tower

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
And then one day not everybody turned up and so we decided to do something different, but still Goodman Games, anyway a brief interlude while the Goodman Gang spend time in the slammer…

Dungeon Crawl Classics #29
Scenario 2 Old Feodol’s Basement
Level 1​

Turn 45: Newbies

Several weeks ago…

The Wheatsheaf Inn, midday, in the City of Grimbo, in the far corner a table of adventurers huddle and whisper, take turns to stare at the giant man at the bar nursing a small beer.

The first of the five neophyte adventurers is a male Dwarf, short and to the point, black studded leather armour, the studs polished to a high sheen, a huge Darkwood club sheathed in a sling on his back. His craggy face, neatly trimmed beard and facial hair, his smile a half-grimace, to look at him one would think him a taciturn Dwarven mercenary.

The next figure, in stark contrast, an animated young Human woman all smiles and cleavage, nestled in the midst of which is a large skull pendent. Her robes are black, her clothes beneath likewise, although there’s the glint of hidden mail- she’s wearing way too much eye-liner, and lipstick, her hair has been died black, badly, her blonde roots shine through, she chews at her split ends.

The third figure a tall and thin young male Human wearing rough clothes, almost pyjama like, made of a coarse weave, they must itch, his head shaved except for a topknot, he eats peanuts from a small tray in the midst of the tavern table, savouring them, chewing each 32 times. His slightly oriental eyes dart about the room, although mostly watching the faces of his compatriots.

The fourth figure is as animated as the woman, a male Halfling sat on several cushions to boost himself up to the level of the table, expensive robes engulf his tiny frame, strange unknown sigils and question marks sewn into them with gold and silver thread. He’s wearing spectacles, wire framed but with very thick lenses, he shuffles and adjusts the small crossbow slung on his back.

The final figure is a very severe looking female Half- Elf, dressed all in black, except black for the fashion conscious, sleek and smooth, and yet dull, guaranteed to blend in with the shadows. Her hair drawn back and tied out of the way, her face pinched almost sour. She stirs an untouched drink and looks bored with the proceedings.

“I can’t believe that, I just can’t, what do you take me for? I just can’t believe it. I can’t… it’s just wrong; I can’t believe you even said that to him… What did he say? Did he say anything, did he? I can’t believe he’d just let that go, he’d have to say something wouldn’t he. Oh just tell me what he said why don’t you, just bloody tell me?” Drone the Dwarf bangs his hand down on the table, the drinks jump.
“I will if you’d let me…” Babs begins, the gothic looking woman with a cleavage you could ski down.
“Shhh he’s looking.” Professor Basil Collindor, Master of the Mundane and the Miraculous, the Halfling whispers.
The amateur adventurer’s effect disinterest, stare in random directions- certainly not at the giant man at the bar who’s eyeing them warily.

“I can’t believe he did that.” Drone mutters. “I can’t.”
“Shut up” Liana, the Half-Elf, in the dark leathers adds her twopenneth.
“I was only saying, that’s all, just saying… I just can’t believe he looked at us like that, like he was trying to psyche us out, crush us with his mind, maybe he has some sort of psychic powers.” Drone pats himself down, paying particular attention to his head, “do you feel any different, do you?” The Dwarf stares at Liana, she grimaces and reluctantly shakes her head.
“I can’t believe we’re actually here…” Drone looks about him, “in the same bar as the Goodman Gang, I mean they’re not all here now but… I can’t believe it. I just can’t believe it.”

It goes quiet for a second, Skoda Octavia, the so far silent Human male stops chewing, “Wet bird never fly at night”, he shuffles out a pad of paper and the stub of a pencil, scribbles down his latest saying, and then resumes eating the peanuts.

“I can’t believe he said that…”
“Oh bloody shut up will you, Babs what did he say?” Liana snaps.
“Strange really”, Babs readjusts her skull shaped pendent, checks her nails and works on an aberrant cuticle, “he just whispered- Buffet.”
“I can’t believe…”
“Buffet?” The Professor looks nonplussed.
“Yep- Buffet.”
“What did you ask him?”
“Well I told him about the two jobs, do we help one brother or the other, he just grinned lent in and whispered, you know- Buffet, in my ear and then nodded towards my jigglies.”
“Your… Jigglies?” The Professor continues.
“You know… My jigglies.” Babs jiggles her jigglies.
“Oh, I see.”
Skoda meanwhile has fetched out his pad of paper and pencil, he scribes, “Buffet = Jigglies?”
“I can’t believe it.” Drone adds.

The silence stretches, mostly because Drone seems to be content to mumble to himself, he’s obviously deep in thought.

“Right.” The Professor announces, “the way I see it we have two options, both of which take us to Feodol’s Basement to recover the Will, incidentally. So all we have to decide is WHEN we find the Will who it should go to, which of the old Wizard’s children is the rightful heir.”
“Your point?” Liana asks bored.
“My point is we’re going to get paid by one of them, it doesn’t matter which- provided we get the Will, if the worst comes to the worst then we can always keep it ourselves… although I’m not sure what for.”
Liana smiles, “You’ve got a point, we could bargain the price up.”
“What do we know about this guy, what are we going to find in his basement?” Babs asks while trying to slurp her cocktail, the umbrella keeps getting up her nose.
“Well he’s, or rather was, a Wizard…” Liana shrugs, “Professor?”

Professor Basil Collendor shuffles up a handful of peanut shells, shakes them in his fist, and then scatters them on the table. The other four stop what they’re doing to observe this great phenomenon, the shells slowly move- of their own accord. The Halfling mutters arcane phrases, the shells arrange themselves into the shape of a human-ish face, the strange visage has however unfeasibly large ears.

“I’m not certain- I have the feeling, looking at this creature’s countenance, we are going to encounter an idiot, a buffoon.” The Professor scrubs the nut shells off the table.

“I can’t believe that. I…”
“So we’ll meet at here at eight tomorrow morning, head over to Old Feodol’s and get this done.” Liana is up, and with a backwards nod, is gone.

The Professor leaps down from his high chair and follows Liana out, Drone, the Dwarf heads over to the bar, still muttering to himself. Babs sees someone she knows- “Hiya”, she grins and waves and heads off to find someone to lie on for the night.

Leaving Skoda Octavia all alone, the weird oriental makes his way out of the Wheatsheaf and into the rain of Grimbo, outside in the portico of the Inn a group of blackbirds huddle out of the rain.

He stares down at the largest of the avians; the one that has its beady eye on him.

“Cats and dogs.” The bird squawks and then shivers, and then motions its yellow bill in the general direction of the rain, “I’m not going out in that.”

Skoda nods sagely and then heads off into the dark streets of Grimbo.

Next Turn: Stats.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Level 1​

Turn 47: Stats

The following characters were ripped from Goodman Dungeon Crawl Classics #24, Legend of the Ripper, it was the nearest to hand that contained a bunch of first level pre-gens. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Drone​

Dwarf Male Fighter Level 1
NG HP 12 AC 15 Init +2
Str 15 Dex 14 Con 15 Int 8 Wis 10 Ch 10
Saves Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +0
Darkwood Great Club +4 d10+3
Unarmed Strike -1/-5 d3+2/d3+1
Armour: Studded Leather
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike & Improved Grapple
Skills of note: Intimidate +4

Items of note: Potion Cure Light Wounds, Potion Remove Fear, Flask of Cheap Whiskey.

Gate Keeper Barbara “Babs” Dallas​

Human Female Cleric of Wee Jas Level 1
LN HP 10 AC 13 Init -1
Str 12 Dex 8 Con 15 Int 10 Wis 14 Ch 13
Saves Fort +4 Ref -1 Will +4
Club +1 d6+1
Light Crossbow -1 d8
Armour: Chain Shirt.
Feats: Endurance & Die Hard.
Skills of note: Concentrate +4 Diplomacy +3 Heal +6 Spot +4

Items of note: Nothing.

Spell Domains Death & Law
Spells Level 0: 3 Level 1: 3+1

Skoda Octavio​

Human Male Monk Level 1
LG HP 9 AC 14 Init +2
Str 12 Dex 14 Con 13 Int 10 Wis 15 Ch 8
Saves Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +4
Unarmed Strike +1 (or Flurry of Blows -1/-1) d6+1
Sling +2 d4+1
Armour: None
Feats: Dodge, Evasion, Improved Unarmed Strike, Mobility, Stunning Fist.
Skills of note: Appraise +4 Climb +3 Heal +4 Hide +4 Move Silently +3 Profession (Cook) +4 Sense Motive +6 Spot +4

Items of note: Nothing.

Professor Basil Collindor​

Halfling Male Wizard’s (Diviner) Level 1
CN HP 8 AC 13 Init +2
Str 6 Dex 14 Con 13 Int 15 Wis 14 Ch 10
Saves Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5
Dagger -1 or +4 d3-2
Light Crossbow +4 d6
Armour: None
Feats: Toughness & Scribe Scroll
Skills of note: Alchemy +4 Concentrate +5 Hide +7 Knowledge (Arcane) +6 Listen +4 Move Silently +4 Search +4 Spellcraft +4

Spells Level 0: 3 Level 1: 3

Spellbook Level 0: All except Illusion.
Level 1: Hypnotism, Identify, Protection From Evil, True Strike.

Items of note: Scroll True Strike (1), Tindertwig.

Liana​

Half-Elf Female Rogue Level 1
N HP 7 AC 14 Init +2
Str 10 Dex 15 Con 13 Int 14 Wis 8 Ch 12
Saves Fort +1 Ref +4 Will -1
Rapier +0 d6
Dagger (8) +0 or +2 d4
Armour: Black Leather
Feats: Nimble Fingers.
Skills of note: Appraise +4 Balance +6 Climb +4 Diplomacy +3 Disable Device +8 Gather Information +3 Hide +6 Move Silently +6 Open Lock +8 Search +7 Tumble +6 Use Rope +6

Items of note: 50 foot Silk Climbing Rope, Smoke Sticks, Thieves Tools, Vial of Acid.

Next Turn: The Angry Buffoon.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Level 1​

Turn 48: The Angry Buffoon

Although the basement only runs under a portion of the crumbling manor house, it is still quite a large room, cluttered despite its size. The northeast corner has a jumble of old children’s toys, a broken crate, and some casks on the floor. Drone quickly rushes over to investigate, “I can’t believe it”, delivered with a grin, soon turns to “I can’t believe it”, delivered with a grimace- the toys are all broken.

In the southwest corner is Old Feodol broken-down bed. Next to it is a desk that has all its drawers thrown on the ground. Just under the staircase is a battered armoire in similar condition. Liana heads over to scope the place, discovers only a pouch of tobacco, apple-scented, and a pipe- whatever else that was stored here has been taken.

Finally, in the southeast corner there is a long meeting table, now almost grey with dust, a mirror covered with a bed sheet, and a coat rack upon which hangs a red-chequered smoking jacket. The walls around this basement are adorned with a large map of the region – with notations pertaining to shipping routes and market needs – a fading portrait of Old Feodol himself in a younger day, and, over the bed, a well-maintained portrait of what must be his long-dead wife.

The Professor wanders over to the smoking jacket, attempts to slip it on, it’s much too big for the Halfling Wizard, he does however rifle the pockets and discover a small bag containing pieces of dry fruit, “Mmm.” The Halfling gingerly tastes a piece, it’s good- he continues to scoff the lot as he wanders around the chamber.

Babs throws the cloth from the mirror, spies herself, grins and preens, she musses her hair, the quest for better styling products an eternal dilemma.

“Do you think I should dye it again, do the roots?” She muses.
Skoda Octavia stops in his tracks and stares at Bab’s reflection in the mirror, he fingers his topknot, dismisses whatever thought plagued him and heads off.
“I think I should go red?” Bab’s informs nobody.

Drone meanwhile has made his way to a stew pot on the table, looks inside- it’s empty, “I can’t believe…” he whispers, and then snatches up the ancient looking bone handled spoon on the table next to the pot, stuffs his ill-gotten gain away, and grins, “I can’t believe it”, he giggles.

“What’s up with you?” Liana asks.
“Nothing. I just can’t believe it, we’ve arrived too late- somebody’s been here, searched the place. We’re never going to find it now. I can’t believe we arrived too late- too late.” Drone wanders off.

“We’re not too late. They never found this…” Liana bends low and clicks something unseen at the base of a seemingly normal area of the stone wall, the Rogue yanks at something, and straightens, the wall moves up, now of its own accord.

“Genius Liana, genius.” The good Professor wanders over.

The secret door slides up to reveal red carpet stretching into a comfortable study. A well cushioned chair rests next to a pair of slippers and an empty fireplace on the far wall, the north wall features a workbench and shelf filled with beakers and tins.

To the left, in the northwest corner, another large map lies spread out over a plain wooden desk complete with its own, less cushioned chair. There is a door on the southern wall. Suddenly, a low growl fills Liana’s ears, and from behind the desk stalks a large, dark furred dog, its legs stiff and ears flat against its head. It bares its teeth and snarls at the Rogue.

“Dog.” Liana screams and in one quick motion twirls a throwing dagger at the creature, catching it in its shoulder, the dog yelps in pain and rushes towards her.

“Errr.” The Rogue ponders for a split-second and then tumbles backwards out of the chamber, the snarling hound rushes after her into the first chamber, and straight into the path of Drone and Skoda.

“I can’t…“ Drone smashes his great club into the flank of the dog, bones shatter, seconds latter Skoda thumps his foot into the poor pooches skull, a loud crack, and the hound flops to the floor- dead.

“Hold hands.” Babs is quick to the scene, “form a circle, come on- I haven’t got all day.” Reluctantly, and with a crescendo of shrugs and sideways glances, the others obey.

The adventurers form a circle around the very dead dog, “Wee Jas take the spirit of this faithful hound whose dying wish was to defend its master’s home, lift up its bones to the great ossuary in the sky, its spirit to run free in the Elysium Fields chasing butterflies, and burying bones. We commend this animal’s soul to your safe keeping. Harm’em.”

“Say it.”
“Harm’em.” The others comply feebly.

“Now break free.” Babs shatters the circle flinging her hands free, half-heartedly the others follow suit, still exchanging nervous glances. “Now wash yourself clean.” Babs wriggles, jiggles and generally fondles herself all over in a half-erotic imitation of washing.

“You’ve got to be kidding.” Liana wanders off.
The others are not such bad sports, Drone nearly loses his spoon, so rigorous is his scrubbing.

“Babs, or rather Gate Keeper Barbara, do we have to do that every time something dies?”
“It is Wee Jas’ wish.”
“I see, is there perhaps a shorter version… something that you could do, on your own, and perhaps, for instance if we were in the middle of something, how shall I put it… dangerous, is there perhaps just something you can say, maybe even just whisper- to yourself?”
“Wee Jas permits me to forego the ceremony and instead offer up prayer for the spirits passing.”
“Good, can we go with that in future?”
“It would be acceptable Professor.” Gate Keeper Babs nods and three, two, one… returns to her normal self.

She shakes her hair out, “poor doggie-woggie”, she pats the dead hound, “what does dog taste like, anybody?”
“I can’t believe it.” Drone wanders off.

Skoda has his pencil and paper out, he’s drawing a picture of Babs washing, it’s very good, with all the wobble lines in the right places.

The Professor makes his way over to the map, grabs it up and heads back into the first chamber to compare and contrast the two, he’s not sure what to make of them, they’re both of the local area surrounding Grimbo, the second seems to have been annotated indicating new developments, logging areas, and in particular the expansion of Molton Clay- supposedly a centre for peace, love and understanding, some sort of Druidical settlement. The Professor stores the information for later use.

Skoda meanwhile reaches up onto a shelf and lifts down two tins, the first is marked ‘REMEMBER’, he opens it- there are nearly a dozen black berries within, he shrugs and places it down on the table. The second tin is marked “Helpful. REMEMBER”, he opens it- there’s a candle inside, half-spent, it smells of cinnamon. Skoda fetches out his notebook and scribbles “REMEMBER.”

The Professor wanders over, “Goodberries.”
“What?” Liana wanders over, followed by the others.
“Goodberries- good for healing, Druids… ahhh.”
“What?” Liana repeats herself.
“Nothing. Goodberries- good for healing, take a few each.
The Professor shares out the hoard.
“And what’s this?” He sniffs the candle, “Cinnamon. Hang on… We appear to be in a mystery.”
“What?” Liana’s got her big speech nailed.
“Hang on.” The Professor shuffles through his backpack, eventually emerges with two slips of paper, the notes the adventurers received from the two interested parties competing for Old Feodol’s last Will and Testament. “Remember these?” The Professor nods, and then reads-

“Greetings.

You have – oh adventurers – this day a unique opportunity to earn the favour of a powerful wizard, namely myself. In the basement of my father’s manor there will be a green leather-bound book. It is his last will and testament. I need it retrieved and brought to my agent, Gilles Beir. This must be done in haste as my sibling,
Larissa of The Nunny, is also keen on possessing this item. I am certain she means to forge a fake.

I assure you I would do no such thing.

For this service I will pay each of you a sum of three hundreds of gold, in whatever coinage or gemstones you see fit. As I said, you will also have my gratitude. Rest assured that is preferable to having my enmity. I would aid you in this matter but my attentions are required elsewhere at this moment and time is of the essence. I mention this one thing in passing, although I cannot deduce how it can be of use to you: my father once sharply said to me that the only time my sibling and I worked together was in the basement. I assumed he was referring to a forgotten incident from our childhood, but now I am not so certain.

Gilles will await your successful return.

Dennel Batharda.”

The Professor scans the expectant faces, “Oh hang on, it’s not that one, however I am intrigued by the phrase- “my father once sharply said to me that the only time my sibling and I worked together was in the basement”, I think there’s more to that than meets the eye- we’ll see. Oh hang on, this is it.”

The Professor reads out the second note.

“Friends,

My dear, dear father recently passed on, and I fear that my villainous brother Dennel intends to cheat me out of my proper inheritance. I believe he will try to steal my father’s will and forge a fake that favours him. So underhanded is he! I need some true friends to go into my father’s basement and get his will first! It will be a leather-bound book the colour of a spring leaf.

I would be oh so pleased if you could give this book to my friend Aronarg. If you do, he will have 400 gold apiece for you. I would go myself but the thought of entering that basement…it just makes me tear up. I can remember how he always smelled like cinnamon when he came upstairs, probably his pipe smoke. Oh father! Aronarg will wait for you to get the book. Do hurry! My brother will not hesitate to hire some dastardly mercenaries to do his dirty work.

Fortunately I have friends. We are friends, aren’t we?

L.”

The Professor scans the crowd again.
“Well, don’t you see?”
Liana sighs, “WHAT?”
“Cinnamon, dear girl. Cinnamon.”
The Professor fetches the candle, holds it up, sniffs it, and then passes it round for others to do the same, “It smells of cinnamon.”
“What use is that?” Liana folds her arms across her chest.
“Well I don’t know… yet. But I’ll bet you it’s important. I think we should take the candle.” The Professor nods frowning, serious.
“I’ve heard of this thing Ear-candling, they light candles in your ears and the warm vapours draw out all of your impurities, dirty thoughts, and desire to do destruction unto your self and others… I read it somewhere. I didn’t fancy it; I might have got wax in my hair…” Babs offers.
“I can’t believe it.”
“No, I can’t either, and it was expensive.”
“Babs- what is it you do, or did, I mean before you started adventuring?” Liana enquires.
“I worked in the Coroners Office for Gleethorpe.”
“Oh. As what?”
“The Coroner.” Babs smiles and loosens a strap on her backpack, it instantly converts into an over the shoulder style handbag, she rifles inside and settles on a hand mirror, checks her hair.

Search over the group move through the southern door, led by Drone this time, and through a short passage beyond, this basement is proving to be much bigger than they first expected.

The mystery of Old Feodol continues to unfold in this next room. Just around a bend in the corridor, the adventurer’s enter what seems to be a trophy room. A ruined suit of plate armour stands against the north wall, with a plaque reading “Lord Arnost” at its feet. It stands next to a weapons rack filled with various kinds of saw blades and a plaque that reads “Orindale Logging Interests.” The final object on the wall is what looks like a simple roadside sign. It reads, “Molton Clay.”

The south wall bears several framed and hung documents and the mounted head of a hideous creature. A dark yellowish colour, it looks insect-like but has the eyes of a horse; beneath each eye limply hangs a featherlike antenna. A wooden door stands at the opposite end of the room, there also seems to be a passageway branching off to the south.

The ceiling is much higher in this room, perhaps 13 feet, a ledge runs along the wall at about 10 feet high, and skittering and pointing on the ledge are a family group of small monkeys.

“Ahhh.” Babs begins, “shoot them”, she finishes, “don’t let them get anywhere near my hair.”
“Dear lady” The Professor bows, and fwung, fires a crossbow bolt into the happy family group, killing the smallest of the creatures instantly, the three remaining seem less pleased, they screech and holler, strike war-like poses. Babs fires her crossbow but misses by a mile.

“I can’t believe it.” Drone stares around at his companions, including Skoda twirling his sling, getting his eye in, “I CAN’T BELIEVE IT.” Drone rushes out into the centre of the chamber flapping and waving his hands making harsh animal sounds, “AAARRRGHHGERRRRRROFFFFFIIIICCCAAANNNTTBBBEEELLLIIEEEVVEEEIIIITTTTYYYOOOUUURRSSSSHHHOOOOOOOTTTTIINNGGMMOONNKKKEEEYSSSS.”

The monkeys flee in terror, along the ledge into the room beyond the far door.

Drone turns to stare at his brave companions, about to berate them for their violence.

SWISH-DUNG

Skoda looks instantly sorry, his sling bullet catches Drone square in the face, breaking the Dwarf’s nose, actually liberally re-distributing it around the his face.

“IIIICCCAAANNNTTBBBEEELLLIIEEEVVEEEIIIITTTT.”

Drone rushes at Skoda barrels into the young Monk before he can move, the Dwarf’s momentum carries the pair backward, Skoda crunches hard into the suit of Plate Armour, which collapses and smashes onto the pair. Drone emerges from the tangled pile, Skoda soon follows, the Monks left arm at an odd angle, actually dangling and bent backwards.

The Monk looks stoic, adopts a combat stance and shuffles out to meet the Dwarf, who tears and claws at the air- a grappler’s stance.

“People… People…” The Professor begins.

Babs makes it to the body of the fallen monkey, she prays and mutters, “Holy Wee Jas send the spirit of this fine monkey to the tangled bows of…”

CRUNCH

A rock, not unaided, drops off the ledge above the Priestess of Wee Jas and smashes into her unprotected skull; she folds like a pack of cards, “My hair…”, her last words.

“Feck this.” Liana begins and edges towards the door, the monkeys are back in the room and are throwing things.

Drone and Skoda face off, dance around each other for a while, Drone swings for the Monk’s head.

THUNK-SWISH

Drone misses, entirely because the Monk takes a stone to the temple and flops to the floor.

THUNK

Another small rock thumps into the small of Drone’s back, the Fighter spins around to see the three remaining monkey stone throwers heading off to reload, the Dwarf sags, he’s almost down, “I can’t believe it”, he whispers through blood-flecked lips.

Next Turn: The Angry Buffoon Part Deus

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Level 1​

Turn 49: The Angry Buffoon Part Deus

“I’ll get you madam.” The Professor rushes over to Babs who’s using the wall to lever herself upright, a trickle of blood wends its way down her face, then the Halfling’s there and using all his strength to haul her upright.

The Professor hears something- looks up, the monkeys are back, and about to shove another rock onto his head, he dives aside.

CRUNCH

The rock instead connects with Babs’ ankle, snaps it, she crumples to the floor screaming, “Wee Jas kill them bastard monkeys now…”

BONK

Another stone hits The Professor on the shoulder, he staggers and then looks about him- Skoda lies lifeless on the floor, Drone staggers about looking for somewhere to vent his rage, Liana hides behind the door frame, out of the chamber- at least she’s fumbling her crossbow out, another rock crashes against the far wall, Liana ducks out of sight.

“Shoot the little bastards.” The Professor yells and heaves out his crossbow, the monkey’s caper a second and then head back out of sight, going for more ammo no doubt.

Drone spies his future. He spots the far door- to the chamber beyond, where the monkeys keep disappearing to reload.

“AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH.”

He charges into the door.

CRUNCH

Bounces back, not a mark on the portal, collapses onto the ground clutching his side.

“Liana the door.” Babs screams.

The Rogue pops her head around the door frame, spots its all clear and rushes over, her opportunity is short-lived, the monkeys reappear in an instance, more stones in hand- they fling them at the approaching Half-Elf, who is struck twice in quick succession.

Liana dodges back from the stinging blows, and tramples The Professor in her retreat.

FWUNG-THUNG

Alas Liana’s hit causes the Professor to fire his crossbow; the bolt hits Liana at point blank range, buries itself in the Rogues armour, but doesn’t pierce her skin. The two stand for a second in a shocked tableau.

“Open door.” Drone staggers to his feet, stares hard at Liana and then points at the offending portal.
Liana nods and heads over.
“Don’t. Just shoot them.” The Professor rushes, as best he can, to Drone and hands over his crossbow, “Shoot them. Shoot them Drone.”

The Dwarf looks around unsure, then nods, “I can’t believe…”
“I know.” The Professor clasps the Dwarf on his arm.
Drone retreats and stands sentry waiting for the monkeys return.

“Help me get to Skoda.” Babs shouts and snaffles the two Goodberries she clutches, The Professor does the best he can to drag the Priestess over to the fallen Monk.

“It’s locked.” Liana turns back to Drone, shrugs.
“I bloody know that, now get it unlocked. I can’t believe you even said that.”

Babs reaches out for Skoda, lays her hand on him, healing flows in- the Monk opens his eyes, shakes his head once, twice, then leaps to his feet- cat-like. He grabs the fallen Priestess, firmly but gently, lifts and drags her out of the chamber.

“Take my crossbow.” She passes her weapon to The Professor.

THONG

A rock thumps into the Halfling’s back, signalling the monkeys return.

“Fire.” Drone screams, and shoots a bolt straight up into the ceiling of the chamber, then dodges its return.

FWUNG

The Professor is much more accurate, another of the little bastards tumbles from the ledge, lies lifeless on the floor.

“Blessed be the sodding monkey- dead, dead, DEAD.” Babs lies on the floor observing the battle from the doorway.

The last pair of monkeys rush off, to reload again. Skoda meanwhile approaches Drone, sling in hand, taps the sentry Dwarf on his shoulder, Drone turns, the Monk looks peaceable- bows low before the Dwarf. Drone nods back and scans the ledge.

The monkeys return with a hail of stones, but this time the adventurers are ready, they duck and dodge and avoid the sudden blizzard.

“Open”, Liana turns to stare at Drone, who fires his crossbow, a little more accurate, but not a lot- the bolt flies well wide. The Dwarf slings the crossbow away and barrels into the chamber beyond.

THWUNG

The Professor grins as another of the creatures slips off the ledge and mewls a while before dying on the floor.

“Jigglies.” Skoda screams and lets fly with his sling.

DONK

The sling bullet hits the door ahead, only six inches above Drone’s head, the Dwarf doesn’t even notice, or at least pretends not to.

The Dwarf gets three feet inside the chamber beyond when a very angry screaming Baboon leaps down onto his back, scratching and clawing at him. Drone wrenches the thing over his head, grapples the creature attempting to keep its claws and bite at arms length.

The door wobbles shut behind the Dwarf, Liana gingerly reaches forward to open it to observe the melee, only to be met by the cold stare of another Baboon, the creature comes at her flailing and biting, the Rogue tumbles backwards, but not quick enough, she’s bitten badly on her foot, blood pours from the wound.

“Oh Wee Jas Bless these holy warriors as they battle to bring swift death to our enemies.” Babs’ spell lifts the spirits, momentarily, of her compatriots, “Now kill the sodding dirty apes.”

Fwung

The Professor misses with his crossbow, somewhat distracted by a screaming Liana trying to avoid another claw or bite, the Rogue manages to palm the creature away, but cannot get to draw her dagger.

Skoda charges into the room beyond, at the same instant Drone finally heaves the Baboon off him, the hairy ape flops to the floor, turns to re-engage and is met by a flying foot, the creature slumps to the ground- skull broken. Skoda holds the pose for a second, then turns and comes to attention before the Dwarf, bows again.

“Arrrgggghhh” Liana clutches at her neck, which has been ripped open, she crumples. The Baboon sniffs her body and then turns to stare at The Professor.

The door smashes open and Drone and Skoda rush to intercept the Baboon’s charge, The Professor back pedals furiously away from the fight.

The last of the smaller monkeys leaps and lands on Drone’s back, lashes forward and scratches him across his face, which arrests the Dwarf’s charge. Drone reaches round and grabs hold of the tiny monkey’s skull, wrenches the creature from him, then grabs and twists with his other hand.

SNAP

Neck broken- dead.

“Kill the things. Sorry Wee Jas, blessed soul, commend to your dark whatsit… Kill them all.” Babs screams from the doorway.

Skoda smashes into the Baboon intent on killing The Professor, the Monk however is off balance and is quickly losing ground, bitten on the shoulder, badly, the Baboon hangs on jaws locked shut on the Monks right clavicle.

The Professor sees his opportunity, mutters arcane words, a burst of light erupts in the Baboon’s face, the creature squawks and flails, instantly let’s go of the Monk and staggers back rubbing furiously at its eyes.

CRACK

A roundhouse kick, straight to the final Baboon’s temple, the creature flops to the floor- dead.

Those standing snaffle Goodberries, Babs is dragged over to Liana, she’s alive- just. The Priestess does what she can to stabilise the Rogue.

“Wee Jas is not ready to take you yet Half-Elf, I will do all I can to prevent your passing, don’t worry…” She tenderly examines Liana’s wounds, “there’s plenty more suffering for you to endure Rogue before you will be received in the halls of my master.”

Next Turn: Pick sides.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Level 1​

Turn 50: Pick sides.

“I can’t believe it. I can’t.” Drone drains his Potion of Healing then looks round at his compatriots, who are a little the worse for wear.

The Professor helps Babs to her feet, between the pair of them they have fashioned a fairly serviceable splint, the Priestess of Wee Jas is reduced to a halting, hopping stumble. Babs uses a chair as a kind of walking frame.

“Wee Jas take you, you sodding monkeys.” She rails against the inequities of life.

The Professor is a little beaten up too, although nowhere near as bad as Skoda, the Monk however barely shows it, although he must be hurting bad such are the extent of the cuts and bruises, and bites, he has sustained.

Liana lies face down on the floor- stable but very unconscious.

“I have no more healing.” Babs explains.
“Let’s explore this room- but stay on your guard.”

The Professor moves to look at the collection of saws, “the Orindale loggers”, he muses, “weren’t they operating somewhere near Lacey, on the road to K-Stor. Yes, I remember the story, they were attacked, many were killed… I wonder, hang on.” The Professor admires the next exhibit in the trophy room, he reads- “Molton Clay, I told you… that’s that crazy Druid settlement, this stinks- there’s something not right here.”

Drone wanders down the short passage that heads off south.

CLANG

A heavy portcullis falls behind him, trapping the Dwarf in the empty corridor.

Drone turns and tiredly states, while gripping the bars, “I can’t believe it.”
Two minutes later after much huffing and puffing the portcullis is raised and he’s out.

“Careful.” The Professor warns. Babs sits down on a chair, she’s exhausted, “I can’t go on, I’ll keep watch.” She sits so she can see both exits, produces a small mirror and piece of tissue, and attempts to scrub the blood from her face.

“I was right”, The Professor points for Skoda who reaches up and grabs a framed document from the southern wall, “This is from Thistle, its thanking Old Feoldol, says he’s ‘atoned many times over’, I wonder what for? Clearly Old Feodol did some bad things in his time.” The Professor heads over to the far door.

“We’ll just see what’s next door.”
“I’ll stay here and watch Liana.” Babs calls back.
Liana remains sprawled upon the floor.

Like the trophy room, the Baboon chamber has 13’ tall ceilings and a ledge running along the wall. Unlike the trophy room, it smells strongly of musk and wet fur. Knotted ropes hang from the ceiling all the way to the floor along the walls, and in the far corners of the room are large ceramic vases filled with smooth, round stones. There is also a door in the far wall, and an iron door in the north wall. Bits of hay are strewn all about the floor of the chamber.

Drone and Skoda head for the far door, the Dwarf whips it open, there’s a small larder beyond, more dried fruit, casks of water, sacks of grain and flour, otherwise it’s empty.

The Professor makes his way to the impressive looking iron door, notices a small hatch in the base of the portal, he bends low to examine it, unlatches it and attempts to spy within.

SHUFFLE

There’s something moving in there, he notices drips of hardened wax on the floor within the chamber beyond, he slams the smaller door shut.

“There’s something in there.” The Professor states.

Skoda and Drone wander over, “What is it Professor, what lies beyond the door, is it Feodol’s Will do you think? Professor?”

The Halfling cautiously reaches out to the handle of the door, touches it- nothing happens, grasps it and turns- nothing happens again, it’s locked. “Damn.”

“Professor?” Drone asks again.
“Whatever it is within there is somehow rendered helpless by this candle”, The Professor shows the pair the cinnamon scented candle, “Old Feodol lit it and then placed it in the chamber through the small door, there are spots of wax on the floor there. Then he used his key to open the door to get to… well, whatever’s in there, his last Will and Testament no doubt. Only we haven’t got the key.”

“I can’t believe we’re so close”, Drone gingerly shoves at the door, it’s solid, and he doesn’t want to hurt his shoulder again, “so near and yet so far.”

“Not a problem Drone, we just need to head out, fix up Liana and then return here, we can get some healing for Babs while we’re gone, of course you two may have to stay behind to guard the place.”

Skoda nods, then Drone.

“Shouldn’t take long… Come on.” The Professor whistles a happy tune and strides back out of the chamber and back to Babs.

Five minutes later, Skoda carrying the recumbent Liana, and with Babs leaning heavily on Drone the intrepid five-some make their way back into the very first chamber, which is almost exactly as they left it.

The main difference being the two intruders there waiting for them.

One, a gaunt man with thinning black hair, dressed in red robes with strange designs worked on the sleeves and hem; Gilles Bier, an agent of Dennel Batharda, the Vermillion Wizard, son of Old Feodol.

The other a Hobgoblin, a hulking brute with braided black hair and a necklace of knucklebones. His armour is dented, and he hefts a trident with familiarity bred from battle; Aronarg, Larissa Batharda’s Nunny enforcer.

Both seem to be trying to ignore the other, and therefore are keenly gazing at the adventurers, searching for the green leather-bound Will.

“Where is it?” Gilles whispers, “Show it to me for I represent the rightful heir.”
“Da book is mine.” Aronarg grunts and sneers at Gilles.
“I can’t be…”
“Actually we’ve encountered a spot of bother…” The Professor starts up silencing Drone.
“What… bother?” Gilles spits out.
“Our Rogue is a little under the weather, we are in need of Healing, we have used all ours, although the Priestess”, Babs smiles and grimaces, “has many spells remaining, as do I.”
“Da book is mine.” Aronarg grunts again.
“Yes, yes. Only it’s nobodies yet- we can’t get to it without Liana, and so we’ll just leave, get some Healing and then return, I think it would be best if you gentlemen went with us. Drone and Skoda will stay here to keep it safe.”
“Da book is mine.” Aronarg grunts once more.
“HELLO. Anybody home, the Will is not yet found we need Healing- do you understand?” The Professor does his best to mime his speech, finally pointing at the fallen Liana.
Aronarg nods and heads for the door- understanding at last.
“Nobody leaves.” Gilles snaps.
The Hobgoblin ignores the Wizard and goes to open the door out of the basement, it’s stuck fast, he rattles it again and then puts his shoulder to it- which only results in some minor bruising, and a little dented pride.
“Nobody leaves, I have woven mighty magics, the door will stay shut until I command, now take this”, the Wizard hands over a Potion bottle, and in doing so winks at The Professor, “this will see her right… Then return to me with the Will.”
“Da book is mine.” Aronarg grunts.
“Hurry Professor, we’ll be waiting.” Gilles winks again, “and try to remember who your friends are.”

A minute or so later Liana is back on her feet, a little woozy but a lot better than she was, they’re back in the chamber with the iron door.

The Professor lights the candle, slips it inside the hatch, and bolts it back shut again, the Halfling presses himself against the door- listening intently.

“Who were those other two guys?” Liana enquires.
“The reception committee, now shush, the lot of you.” The Professor continues to listen.

The silence lengthens.

“I can’t believe…”
“Shut up.” The Professor snaps.

SHUMP

The Professor presses his ear to the door again.

“I think…” Then bends down and opens the hatch, stares within for a while- there’s nothing to see, it’s mostly dark, other than the cold stone floor, illuminated by the flickering candle, there’s not much else to see.

The Professor crouches, stares and waits- nothing continues to happen.

“Liana- open it. Skoda and Drone, be ready.”
The pair nod and Liana gets to work.

And only thirty seconds later a satisfying click signals her success.

“Done Professor.”

The Rogue clears out of the way.

“Ready?”

The pair nod again, Drone hefts his great club, Skoda settles for a fighting stance.

EEEEEEEE

The door squeaks open and the adventurer’s light floods in.

The hourglass-shaped room is 15 feet across at its widest points, 5 feet across at its most narrow, and 30 feet long.

It is completely empty except for a table against the far wall, resting atop the table is a slim, green leather-bound book, a letter, and what looks like four large emeralds, and two small vials.

“Wait.” The Professor commands, “Drone fetch some flour.”
“I can’t…”
“Just do it… please.”

The Dwarf complies and returns with a small sack of flour.

“Now I want you and Liana to head over to the table, except I want you Liana to search the way for traps, and you Drone, when Liana’s done to sprinkle the flour on the floor.”
“Why me, and why the flour?” Liana enquires.
“You, my dear, because you are the best at finding traps; and the flour because I believe there’s something in there we don’t want to bump into- whatever it is may be invisible, and undoubtedly dangerous. Now quickly while the candle still burns.”

The Rogue and the Fighter nod, and creep in.

“I can’t believe… oh hang on, Professor, there’s something here.”
“What does it look like?”
“A pile of rags, or… a plant.”

The flour shows the outline of an inert tangle, a plant structure, for now nothing more than a mass of tubers on the ground.

“Smash it Drone. Smash it good.”

WHUMP
WHUMP

After the second or third strike Drone starts to take a pride in his work, Liana has to back off to give the Dwarf room to swing- the mystery creatures is soon mashed and pulped.

“I can’t believe it. How did you know Professor?”
“We each have our talents Drone. Now press on.”

A minute later, and with no more surprises, the five-some are reassembled, back outside the now sealed again iron door with their haul.

“Healing potions- give me one of those.” Babs grabs a bottle and glugs it down, and seconds later her ankle is as good as new, “what’s it say?”

The Professor has hold of Old Feodol’s last Will and Testament, he opens it and reads.

“To you who found this letter,

I hope my pets were not such a bother for you- ‘oh not much, they damn near killed us you old fool.’ They were not really to hurt intruders so much as my ungrateful children. ‘Here we go.’ I hope you were able to get past them without hurting them…they were a comfort for me in my last years. ‘Sorry but they had to die, isn’t that right Babs?’”

The Gate Keeper nods then grins, smacking her fist into the palm of her hand, The Professor reads on.

“But you have not come to read about me. ‘Too true.’ I would wager you have come for my money, or were sent by one of the kids for my will. ‘Or both.’

I know you owe me nothing and probably have needs of your own, but hear me out:
When I was young I did a few very stupid things. ‘Who hasn’t?’ One of those things led to the death of a good person who had shown me kindness – a druid. I have spent my entire life – and most of my fortune! – making amends by helping her allies with money or influence. ‘I bloody knew it- Druids, they can’t be trusted.’

Please, it is my last request that this will, and the treasure map it contains, be given to Thistle at Molton Clay. Let my last act be one of charity, and let the druids have the last of my fortune. ‘He’s obviously gone soft.’ Please accept these gems and healing draughts as payment for this last request, and for any troubles my family and I have caused you.

Thank you,

Feodol Batharda.”

The adventurers stop to think.

“Well…”
“So it’s neither of them, it’s this Thistle.” Liana adds.
“I can’t…”
“No, neither can I.” The Professor finishes.
“I mean I…” Drone starts again.
“Can’t be-leaf it.” Skoda offers as if trying the language for the first time.
“Well, we’ll just have to let them down gently.”

The Professor marches off.

“And people have something either pointy or blunt to hand; I think this may end in a little contretemps.”

“A little what?” Babs whispers to Drone.
“Condy-stomps, it’s Halfling for a fight.” Drone puts the Priestess right.
“Oh thanks.”

Just before the door back into the first chamber Babs and The Professor hold the others back a moment, whisper arcane words, prepare their spells.

“Ready.” The Professor asks.
The others nod.

Liana opens the door back into the chamber, Aronarg and Gilles stare intently as the Halfling wanders in clutching the last Will and Testament of Old Feodol.

Next Turn: A Little Condy-Stomps.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Level 1​

Turn 51: A Little Condy-Stomps.

“I think that belongs to me.” Gilles steps towards The Professor, who clutches the book to his chest.
“Da book is mine.” Aronarg has other ideas.

The Professor swallows hard, “actually it belongs to neither of you.”

“What?” Gilles comes to a halt.
“Wat?” The Hobgoblin echoes Gilles.

“The last Will and Testament states that Old Feodol’s treasure… Well, it belongs to Thistle, he’s a Druid in Molton Clay, Old Feodol left everything to him… So, you see.” The Professor spreads his hands wide, still clutching the book.

“Hand it over, now.” Gilles puts his hand out to take the tome, “Now.”

KNOCK KNOCK

Everything stops.

“Let me in.” It’s a woman’s voice at the door, “I have come from Thistle in Molton Clay to collect what is rightfully his- let me in.”

“Who dat?”
“Never mind who that is- the Will is mine.”

Aronarg dives in to intercept Gilles on the path to grab the Will from The Professor, who steps back into the crowd of his compatriots.

The Hobgoblin shakes his trident in Gilles face. The Wizard looks put out.

“Put that thing away, or I’ll destroy you?” The Wizard mumbles arcane words.
Aronarg attacks, but Gilles is too quick, he dodges back out of the way, “help me kill this Hobgoblin scum and I will double your reward.”

Drone dodges forward, Skoda grabs the Dwarves arm, shakes his head.

A white mist suddenly engulfs the Hobgoblin; the mist evaporates swiftly, leaves the Hobgoblin untouched. “Now yu die, Wizud.”

“AAAARRRGGGGHHH.”

Drone breaks free of Skoda’s grip and smashes his great club into the back of the Hobgoblin’s skull.

CRACK

Years of racial enmity bubble over.

“I can’t…”

WHUMP

Drone swings again as the Hobgoblin spins around to face the Dwarf, this time he’s wide of the mark.

“Get the Wizard.” The Professor screams, “try not to kill either of them.”

Liana rushes in and tumbles past the Wizard, who is suddenly bathed in a bright blue light as his Mage Armour takes affect, “Triple money?”, the Wizard screams.

The Professor shakes his head, “surrender?”
“Never, and that’s my last word on the subject.” And so it is.
Skoda leaps in and kicks the Wizard in the face, Gilles folds and thumps into the floor, knocked out.

Aronarg menaces Drone, who scuttles back out of reach, the Hobgoblins trident spears out towards the Dwarf, he dodges round and smashes his great club into the creature’s weapon, which spins from his hands.

The Hobgoblin backs up towards the door, grappling for his short sword.

THUMP

Drone stabs his club into the Hobgoblins gut, the creature drops his short sword too, Aronas quick turns and races to the door, tries to wrench it open- however the spell is still in place.

The Hobgoblin turns back, puts his hands in the air.

“I keel yu sum udder day.”

Drone grins back, “I definitely don’t believe that.”

The Professor strides forward, grins at Aronarg, “strip.”

Twenty minutes later Aronarg and Gilles are sitting naked tied up on the cold stone floor, all their equipment gone.

The door opens at last and a female Elf, dressed in woodland robes, enters the chamber, “the Will please… I have been sent by Thistle.”

The Professor looks around the chamber, the expectant faces of his compatriots.

“How do we know…” The Professor begins.

But Skoda is quicker still; he grabs the Will from The Professor, and at lightning speed hands it to the Elf, the Monk bows.

“Thistle thanks you, if you ever have need then do not hesitate to call on our services, we are in your debt. I must be off, back to Molton Clay, to Thistle.”

The Elf turns to leave.

“I can’t believe…”
“Is that it?” The Professor adds.

“Yes, except thank you again.” The Elf stops, turns back.

“Do you know a man called Jim Bowen, a Ranger?”
“I’ve heard of him.” The Professor confesses.
“Tell him… Tell him…”
“What?”
“Nothing.”

Mischa turns back, leaves quickly.

The silence returns.

“I can’t believe…”
“Shush”, Skoda clamps his hand over Drone’s mouth.

In the background Liana grabs the mirror from the wall; it has a lovely silver frame.

They head out, mission accomplished.

Next Turn: Review.

Excellent interlude Goonalan.

I must ask, given what you've said before - how much of the characterisation (Dwarf as Richard Wilson etc) was the players, and how much your own addition?

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit said:
Excellent interlude Goonalan.

I must ask, given what you've said before - how much of the characterisation (Dwarf as Richard Wilson etc) was the players, and how much your own addition?

This one's more the players, we've had a meeting, of sorts, I think the deal is with Jim, Bec, Cas, Anya, Newt & Ala that the players want to get places. It's a strange world; I've been playing D&D (DMing) for over twenty years and yet I've not run many extended campaigns, ones where the characters go from level 1 to, say level 15, it's always the case that someone drops out because of work/home pressure, and sometimes it's been me which tends to bring things to a halt. However now I find myself with a bit more time to play, and write, although I'm pretty busy at the moment it'll all quieten down by February next year, so we grabbed a few pre-gens and decided to just have fun- a liberating experience.

So the Goodman Gang will continue to be a ludology thing- it's all for the gameplay- experience points etc; while every now and then we'll play the little guys which will be entirely for kicks, if they die, they die. With the main party the players do everything they can to win/stay alive.

And then Goodman Games 51 came about- damn, an entire campaign in one box set... It was all too tempting and so we've got the pre-gens out of that and we're playing it this Saturday- that was one of the other decisions that came out of our little meeting.

We've even committed to playing more often, we're going from one to two sessions per month to four sessions- every weekend if we can, even if it means we have to be on-line to play (although I'm not certain how that's going to work- any advice). It's all working out well in other words...

I don't know how they're going to turn out, the characters from Dungeon Crawl Classics 51, but they look very good on paper, a sort of half-way house between the two other sets of players. I particularly like the Bingo brothers- hopefully it'll be good enough for me to write up.

The Goodman Gang are on turn 51 at the moment, I've got more than twenty turns written up still to come and there are still five more scenarios that we've played that I've got the notes on to write up, so there's plenty to go at, I'm not going to get caught up any time soon.

Hope that answers at least part of the question, as I say any advice on the on-line thing, and any other comments then I'm happy to hear them.

Thanks, as always.

Oh and we've already played two more scenarios with the little guys, so I'll drop them in some time soon, whenever there's a lull in the action.

Pedestrian

Explorer
Hey Goonalan,

I'm currently engaged in rp over the internet. It's quite simple, we're just using MSN and the dice roller off of wizards website. I find i enjoy it more than actual face to face rp, as it is less hectic. I think my players miss the personal interaction, but there you go.

Some things I've found that help me run, and with the understanding this is done over MSN, are the little details. Things like having everyone set their screen name to their character's, and choose a different colour text so I can tell who is saying what. For my part, being able to pull up links to bits of artwork for the players is a golden opportunity.

We're playing the Red Hand of Doom, which has a dedicated art gallery (also on the wizard's site) and being able to grab a picture and say "here is what you see" "this is Lord Jarmaath" is brilliant. I'm going to try and expand my use, so that people like Alexander the Ruby Knight has a face, and some other encounters too.

More technical stuff, like Voice over IP and dedicated gaming programs, someone else will have to comment on.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Excellent advice as always Loup, I will investigate MSN- and I'm laughing as I type this because I don't even know what MSN is, I have heard of it however, which is a start- when I said I was a neophyte when it comes to computers I really wasn't kidding.

Three of my players are I.T. people so I will delegate much of the work anyway, I've used the on-line dice-roller before so that's not a problem, I guess I'll have to trust them to tell the truth about their rolls, I predict a spate of 20s and no fumbles for ages.

Thanks as always.

A short one this time, the review before we get back to the Goodman Gang.

Level 1​

Turn 51a: Review

Overall score out of 10: 7.1
Play time: 2 hours.

Review:

A nice little scenario, it served me well when we were suddenly a player down, obviously very simple but in play it proved to be most amusing, it makes a refreshing change to have the Priest laying on the floor with a broken ankle, and the Thief teetering on the brink of death. Not that I want to kill them you understand, I’m merely a facilitator, a go-between if you like. Mwah ha ha ha ha, sorry, don’t know what came over me.

Very little extra to say except that I liked the two wounded parties in the finale, and the fact that the players have then to explain to both that the treasure is not theirs, it made for a nice ending, well thought out, simple but effective.

Notes and Quotes:

The attack dog was soon defeated, although a more personable approach may have been equally as effective, it seems my players were once again on the hunt for something to kill.

It was good that The Professor (Mr. R.) had his nose into everything, discovering clues as he went to the real story, well played and well designed.

The attack of the monkeys obviously went less well for the players; it’s so damn funny when they have to rack their brains to get out of a tight spot. That and the fact that they managed to roll the biggest number of fumbles I’ve ever seen in such a short space of time, I think at one point we got to three 1s in a row.

Eventually the players found a way, but not before a majority of them had gotten very close to death or unconsciousness.

Which of course resulted in a temporary hiatus, The Professor had more or less figured everything else out, particularly the fact that something nasty lurked behind the door- for the record it was a Phantom Fungus.

The confrontation with Aronarg and Gilles perhaps came too soon, however it served as a taster for the final confrontation, and increased the tension for the final conflict.

Rescuing the last Will and Testament of Old Feodol proved simple enough after the intervention of The Professor’s big brain.

This just left the players with the final fight, a little easier than expected, particularly when the two fools turned on each other, but who am I to disregard the dice, once again nicely handled. Obviously all it needed then was for Mischa to appear to tie the scenario back into the whole.

It worked well and from a DMs perspective proved easy to run, hopefully many of the other scenarios within the tome will be as well designed, and as short- for drop in purposes. If so it will prove to be an excellent time-saving device, well worth the money.

Thanks for reading.

Next time back to the Goodman Gang, who when we last saw them were in a spot of bother.

Next Turn: Court in the Act.

Remove ads