D&D 5E The Grappler's Manual (2.0) - Grappling in 5th Edition

johnlent

First Post
If a friend tosses you through the wall, you are "attempting to pass through the wall." If someone drags you through it, you are most definitely NOT attempting to pass through the wall. :)

asdf asdf

First Post
RAI, attempt to pass through a wall is to somehow move trough it. RAW, not exactly, but most DMs will accept the RAI if you try to exploit the RAW first, like, making the barbarian grapple the party's wizard to move him trough it.

Ansis Māliņš

First Post
Good guide, except where's the advice for grappling as a group?
Can I Help another PC to give them Advantage on their grapple check?
Can multiple people grapple the same victim?

Nathan Mason

First Post
If your DM allows the blood hunter class, with the order of the Lycan subclass. It would make a great grappler. You gain advantage on strength checks and saves, unarmed melee damage comparable with a monk's. And resistance to help you tank. And use your suggestion for the goliath would make it even better.

Chris Bartley

First Post
Ya know, I originally thought that making a barbarian grapple would be terrible in *Tomb Of Annihilation* until I was able to grab Acererak and pin him to the floor. My mind has been completely changed.

TheCandyman

First Post
One of these days I'd really like to make a wrestler/luchador, so the only weapons he will use aside from his bare hands will be chairs, tables and ladders.

Is still the monk worse than the fighter for a pc like this? What build could you suggest me (I'd like to do this pc inside Adventurers League, so the source material is limited)?

Thanks in advance!

hejtmane

Explorer
One of these days I'd really like to make a wrestler/luchador, so the only weapons he will use aside from his bare hands will be chairs, tables and ladders.

Is still the monk worse than the fighter for a pc like this? What build could you suggest me (I'd like to do this pc inside Adventurers League, so the source material is limited)?

Thanks in advance!
My son has that build to the letter picks up rocks, tables dead monsters. Tavern brawler then Goliath, Firblog or bugbear they get to lift pull etc as one size larger, totem barbarian Bear, bear and what ever if you use Scag say elk

Gavin O.

First Post
I feel like the battle master maneuver Trip Attack deserves special mention as a way to down a flying enemy. Trip attack works on ranged attacks, and a flying enemy falls if they're knocked prone, so a trip attack spear throw is one of the few ways for a grappler to get within reach of their flying target.

dfskdf

First Post
Sorry if this is already stated (probably is) but I'm really looking forward to having mystics in "official" book so I can use in league play. Two abilities in particular (from Mystic3) seem good for grapplers.
1.Psychic focus from brute force: "While focused on this discipline, you have advantage on strength (athletics) checks." This is a no cost advantage that would get even better if you gained some form of expertise in athletics.
2. In my opinion the best one. Giant growth, Giant Form: Costs 7 psi (cant use till 9th level at least), and the last part says "If you're smaller than Huge, (who isnt!) you also become huge for the duration (1 min. :(). This allows you to grapple just about everything! (Slight disadvantage vs Gargantuan?). Also gives you a reach of +10 and +2d6 on melee damage. I'm also assuming the 2d6 bonus could be unarmed too.
Except for the moderately high level and having to rest to use again, this size enlargement seems like the best grapple bonus in the game. I mean most dragons are smaller than gargantuan!

Plo Koon

Villager
Was just going over this guide and realized that I had made a warlock grappler for my next campaign, and I can't change it because its so flavorful and the DM is already planning around it.

Remove ads