The Gray King

Erekose13

Explorer
Quiet after his initial introduction, Maavnod took a long time to think things through before speaking. He looked around at the ones this Grey King wanted him to work with. Were they so different from the 20th? Yes they were, but they were no demons, well most weren't. But do I want to travel back into the Demon Wastes? He had spent so long running from there and the mutations had not progressed. Perhaps over the past 5 years it had run its course?

When Oliver spoke with false confidence, Maavnod chose to respond, "The little one right. The Wastes consume all who enter unless you focus on the hunt. I took these from a demon of the Wastes and they do not frighten me." he says puffing up his chest (to show off the chainmail) and hefts his great mace.

Zurai

First Post
The kobold's mouth twisted into something that may have been a grin on a normal human face. "The Wassstes will eat sssoftskinsss. Heat, sssands and glassss, and fiendsss who run free. Neither me nor that hunter of my kind"---it indicates the largish creature---"will be welcome back, sssooo blood will be ssspilt."

Maavnod chose to respond, "The little one right. The Wastes consume all who enter unless you focus on the hunt. I took these from a demon of the Wastes and they do not frighten me." he says puffing up his chest (to show off the chainmail) and hefts his great mace.

Valerian arches one eyebrow at the scaled one's first words since entering the room, and at the large humanoid's response. "I have found, in my wandering, that ventures without a little spilt blood are rarely worth the time they take. If one is unwilling to give his life's energy to a task, he will not likely reap any reward from it."

Oliver smirks at the small reptilian kobold. "I can see why you'd be afraid of demon's, but they don't frighten me." After making the bold statement, he speaks again to Andoran. "If you really think this cache will help us, I'll be the first to volunteer to go." Oliver looks around the room, judging the reactions, and the courage of the others to go to such an inhospitable place.

Oliver's reply to the kobold merely makes Valerian shake his head and sigh softly to himself. Hasty, hasty . . . and proud. This one is unwilling to let anyone see how unsettled he really is. He will lead the charge and wave the banner, trapped by his own lack of confidence in himself.

"I would like to see some token of your ability to compensate us in the manner to which you have spoken as a matter of good faith in the bargain that you are attempting to strike with us." Arrgha'n states and then continues "If you can give us what it is we desire that I am in, otherwise there are more important things that I have to attend to."

Valerian nods in response to Arrgha'n's statement. "Yes, I agree. I am not unwilling to perform these tasks for you, but I will require some assurance that you can follow through on your promise of payment. One does not simply walk in to the Demon Wastes, after all."

Though he had no real reason to be surprised, the mention of the Demon Wastes sent a cold chill down his back. The Mournland was one thing, and terrible enough, but the Wastes... He shuddered.

This one . . . at least, is honest. Or, perhaps, is he simply too frightened and inexperienced to hide his fear and unease? Time will tell - he will be unable to refuse our host's offer, I am sure, just as the rest of us will. Valerian does not react outwardly to Kurst's indecision, other than to treat him to a lingering, appraising look.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Zurai said:
"Ah, so not only the Mournlands, but the Demon Wastes as well? Truly, we have our work cut out for us - if we agree. I would be interested in some more details before I choose one way or another." He thinks for a moment, then adds, "And . . . I'm also curious about your mysterious 'we'. A junior assistant minister, you claim, and yet you and your 'personal staff' have located items that would allow exploration of the Mournlands? There are many people who have been trying to explore those lands since the War, and with certainly more resources than an ex junior assistant minister of a country that no longer exists and his staff. I think there's more here than you're telling us. Not that secrets at this stage are terribly surprising, mind you."
"Well, I was the junior minister," Andoran says with a nod, leaving his audience to fill in the blanks. When one's entire nation has been destroyed, there's really nothing to distract one from fufilling one's duty, is there? "But yes, what details did you want to know?"

Valerian: [sblock]Andoran's entrance could have been due to the fact that the wall is an illusion, or possibly a phasing effect. The Demon Wastes are held to be the homes of many extraplanar nasties, as well as tribes of orcs, humans, and others that eke out a miserable existance in its harsh environment. It is said the relics left over from the Age of Demons reside their in ruined fortresses guarded by ancient magics. The Mournland is known to be anathema to magical healing, as well as having occasional warping effects on magic in general. It's easy to get lost or despondant and just lay down and die. Undead and other creatures warped by magic are said to roam the Mournland freely. Of Andoran, you recall nothing.[/sblock]

EvolutionKB said:
Oliver smirks at the small reptilian kobold. "I can see why you'd be afraid of demon's, but they don't frighten me." After making the bold statement, he speaks again to Andoran. "If you really think this cache will help us, I'll be the first to volunteer to go." Oliver looks around the room, judging the reactions, and the courage of the others to go to such an inhospitable place.
"I appreciate that Oliver. Really, it shows great courage to go to such a place, but I assure you the rewards will be worth it."

FreeXenon said:
"I would like to see some token of your ability to compensate us in the manner to which you have spoken as a matter of good faith in the bargain that you are attempting to strike with us." Arrgha'n states and then continues "If you can give us what it is we desire that I am in, otherwise there are more important things that I have to attend to."
"The Reverend Mother bore two children of her own in the service of the Project, two of the first, to see if it was viable. She's living in the Byeshk Mountains with a few remaining Heirs. It's unknown how long she'll stay there though," Andoran says with no hesitation.

Valerian nods in response to Arrgha'n's statement. "Yes, I agree. I am not unwilling to perform these tasks for you, but I will require some assurance that you can follow through on your promise of payment. One does not simply walk in to the Demon Wastes, after all."
"The golem you discovered has kin, such as it is, in a ruined temple that once stood under the surface of Cyre. It was re-discovered, much to our surprise, in the foothills of the Icehorn mountains six months ago. It drove two of my staff mad, one to the point of suicide, with the visions it inflicted upon them. Despite the distance between the two golems, they share similar features," he adds to the elf, pulling out a wrinkled and bloodstained piece of parchment from a hidden inner pocket and passing it to him. The drawing upon it is in shocking detail, evoking something Valerian hasn't seen since Xen'drik. Despite the skill of the artist, the signature at the bottom is scrawled, as if the artist forgot his name halfway through, and humanoid teethmarks tatter the periphery, as if someone tried to eat the drawing.

"I never promise what I cannot deliver," he says simply to the others. "We have contacts that can see you supplied with items of the mundane, and people that can guide you as far as the Labyrinth. Maps will have to take you the rest of the way. Furthermore, I say to you these items I send you after are equal in power to many items of magic, but cannot be dispelled or silenced, easily identified or even perceived by some. Also, due to their nature, few can weild them safely, for they lack the correct mind-set. I judge that you are all strong-willed and able to deal with them, and thus you may keep them and whatever else you may find in your journey. I seek only information and specimens of the Mournland."

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Arrgha'n (Half-Daelkyr Kin-Hunter) HP:28

Arrgha'n blinks twice in the quiet following Andoran's response. He shakes his head, satisfied, and says "When do we leave?"

Last edited:

Zurai

First Post
Valerian, Elven Archivist

"Well, I was the junior minister," Andoran says with a nod, leaving his audience to fill in the blanks. "But yes, what details did you want to know?"

"Well, for starters, how deep into the Wastes is this cache you have found?"

"The golem you discovered has kin, such as it is, in a ruined temple that once stood under the surface of Cyre. It was re-discovered, much to our surprise, in the foothills of the Icehorn mountains six months ago. It drove two of my staff mad, one to the point of suicide, with the visions it inflicted upon them. Despite the distance between the two golems, they share similar features," he adds to the elf, pulling out a wrinkled and bloodstained piece of parchment from a hidden inner pocket and passing it to him.

Valerian takes the parchment from Andoran and studies it in minute detail for several minutes, then nods and slips it into his shroud. "This satisifies my request for proof of your ability to follow through on payment. I will do these tasks for you."

OOC: Valerian is sold. He'll also attempt to determine if that wall is illusionary as well as he can from his seat; no need to insult the host by trying to poke one's hand through it.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Andoran smiles slightly at Arrgha'n, and then turns to Valerian.

"The cache is at least a week's journey on foot inside the wastes. That is, of course, factoring in weather and various other delays. I've never heard of a trip there going smoothly, as I'm sure our scaled and lithodermic friends can attest to," he sais, nodding to Irthos and Maavnod.

Valerian: [sblock]From here the illusion, if that's what it is, seems pretty darn good. You can't detect any irregularities in the dim light.[/sblock]

Last edited:

FreeXenon

"You will be amenable to getting us a few supplies to start our dangerous mission, assuming that everyone is agreement?" says Arrgha'n looking to the rest of the strange group that has been assembled.

FreeXenon

Arrgha'n smiles pensively in return, knowing full well that their benefactor was well versed in this game. "A Shadow Sibling (MoE pg 156), a Masterful Bow that I can fully wield (MW, Mighty [+2]), and rations come to mind. Perhaps mounts that would not be a direct liability while in the Wastes. Those are a few things that come to mind." The Hunter shifts a little and itches the bulge on his arm.

Last edited:

EvolutionKB

First Post
Oliver, Human Binder

Oliver looks passively at his new companions as they receive the proof they need in order to accept this mission. He does know much about us, but the question is how much.

Isida Kep'Tukari said:
"I appreciate that Oliver. Really, it shows great courage to go to such a place, but I assure you the rewards will be worth it."

"Good," he says, with a smile. He then pulls his dagger from the underside of the table, twirling it between his fingers before tucking it into the sheathe in his boot.

Isida Kep'Tukari said:
"What kinds of supplies were you thinking of?" he asks genially.

After the hobgoblin creature speaks, Oliver adds, "Perhaps those of us that fight with blade could have some capsules of alchemical nature and retainers for them as well."

Diplomacy once again, +10. I speak of the alchemical weapon capsules and retainers from complete adventurer.

Remove ads