• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Gray King

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Irthos spends the time traveling on his high perch, keeping a watch of the sky and the land. It eats it's meals alone, and generally avoids conversation. This probably suits most of the caravan fine.

When the shriek comes, the kobold's orange eyes flicker in the direction. When nothing violent charges them, it keeps to its perch, looking firmly around.

OOC: Senses aura, keeping an eye on the caravan.

FreeXenon said:
OOC:Know (Dung)
Something stinky? :D BTW, DarkOrange is Irthos' speech color.

Erekose13

Explorer
Curious by the gathering crowd Maavnod wanders over. He keeps to the back, his ample height allowing him to see over. The scene of the bloody murder does not upset him, but he chooses not to hang around for very long. Assuming that anything that vicious would not be still around, he'll make a short round to see if he can spot anything of interest in the vicinity.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Oliver, Human Binder

Oliver looked around in his pack for the chalk had bought. I thought I had it in here, I'll have to get some more before we leave. Once Oliver has made his bound Paimon, he shakes his head, his wits were not about him again today. Hopefully I won't make the same mistake again that I made last night with Valtrax. Her abruptness set his off his guard, something he rarely experienced. No matter, if she won't speak to me, I won't be speaking to her. After adjusting his appearance and getting rid of the unsightly sign that marked his face, he goes downstairs, grabs a quick breakfast and then gets a good supply of chalk.

I assume this was okay, I had meant to put them on my sheet, but then forgot somehow. I'll spend a gold to get 100 days worth of chalk. I'll use my ability to suppress my sign as well, all the time, sorry I didn't mention it earlier.

Oliver keeps his distance from Vatrax, but when she approaches and speaks to him he can't hold his tongue. "Don't you remember, I am not afraid of demons, why would I be afraid of you?" he says with a wink. "Would you like to walk with me, I feel like I am the only normal one here," he says with a glance at the winged kobold, the mutated giant, and the hobgoblin thing. "I'll defend you if we are attacked."

After a long journey, and the multitude of excuses to escape the sight of others in the morning to bind Paimon, Oliver perks up at the sound of the screaming. Not hearing the sounds of battle, Oliver slinks away from the eyes of others, whether that be in an unattended wagon at the end of the caravan or just around the corner of an alley, it doesn't matter as long as he is out of sight. Finally some distraction where I don't have to make up some lame excuse. He begins drawing the sign on the ground taking a few minutes to make sure all will come out right.

Binding check + 5

Assuming he binds Paimon without notice from the others in the caravan, he returns to the screaming, if asked about his whereabouts he says he was relieving himself.

Bluff +8

EvolutionKB

First Post
Once Oliver pushes his way through the crowd and sees the body, he steps back outside. He peers around, looking for Yatrax, making sure she was safe. Blade drawn and shield readied, he goes around the perimeter of the building, looking for any signs of forced entry or anything out of the ordinary.

Search/Spot/Listen: +2/-1/-1

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Zurai said:
Valerian sighs with exasperation, but goes with Master Vorj to investigate. He was already up and prepared for the day, and there would obviously be no getting the caravan moving until the excitable peasant was calmed down and trade could take place.

Well, it seems Arrgha'n's ethereal bugaboos have found him anyway. I suppose there'll be no stopping him now.

Valerian moves quickly about, first checking to make sure the corpse was actually a corpse, then checking to see if the wounds were consistent with Ethereal Filchers or Ethereal Marauders. After this cursory examination of the body, Valerian will cast Detect Magic and search the room the Master Tanner was found in for any clues, physical or arcane.
Master Tanner is quite dead, though only within the last hour or so. There is a great gaping wound in his side, from a maw of prodigous size. Certainly it's big enough to be from an ethereal maurader, but considering how big they are compared to a man, the details get a little blurred. There is a faint magical aura of conjuration, but it is fading rapidly.

As you work, some of the people in the doorway look on wide-eyed, but most turn from the scene in fear. You're a stranger, of course, but you're also doing something about all of this.
FreeXenon said:
Arrgha'n strides through the gathering crowd to the crime scene, nods to Valerian, and takes a close look at the wounds on the body. He will look closely around to try to get a good idea as to which type of Spawn may have done this, and will search for any clues as to what they were looking for or what exactly may have transpired here. Perhaps for the tracks or evidence as to how many and what breeds were involved.

[OOC: Survival +7/9/11; Know (Dung) +7; Search +7]
You come to the same conclusion as Valerian, though you are certain that this was indeed a maurader. The wound is huge and triangular with a puncture wound at the top, very indicative of a maurader. Looking carefully for tracks around the body, you find very few tracks due to the neatly swept floor. However, there are faint clawmarks, probably from the maurader. Further out from the body are a few faint divots in the floor, as if something large pressed down suddenly and heavily. Something like a filcher. Since the front room of the Guildhall usually has samples of their best work as well as finished orders, it's not too hard to imagine what might have graced the now-empty shelves.

The tracks start in the middle of the room, well away from any windows or doors. Well, that's only to be expected from those two species. It seems that only one of each type was involved. The Master Tanner must have been doing something in the middle of the room, the maurader appeared, and perhaps he tried to run to the door... But he was no match for the beast, and thusly lost his life. However, as the young man who sounded the alarm held keys in his hand, the door was locked initially. The Master Tanner does have keys on his belt, but his beltpouch is missing.

stonegod said:
Irthos spends the time traveling on his high perch, keeping a watch of the sky and the land. It eats it's meals alone, and generally avoids conversation. This probably suits most of the caravan fine.

When the shriek comes, the kobold's orange eyes flicker in the direction. When nothing violent charges them, it keeps to its perch, looking firmly around.

OOC: Senses aura, keeping an eye on the caravan.
Looking about carefully, all of the caravan seems to be as surprised as the villagers. However, as you keenly observe the scene you do notice
a faint impression of a gray crown glowing with colorless fire hanging above the Guildhall. It remains there for a few seconds and then vanishes.

Erekose13 said:
Curious by the gathering crowd Maavnod wanders over. He keeps to the back, his ample height allowing him to see over. The scene of the bloody murder does not upset him, but he chooses not to hang around for very long. Assuming that anything that vicious would not be still around, he'll make a short round to see if he can spot anything of interest in the vicinity.
Going around one side of the Guildhall, he can spot a few people looking in the windows, children mostly, that flee when the goliath comes their way. He spots no blood or anything odd in the alley, at least at first. As he crosses closer to the window, something lets out an gods-awful shriek, high-pitched and irritating in the extreme. It cuts off after moment, and you hear a faint scuffle somewhere above you, but it is gone in an instant.

More people pop into the alley to investigate, but when they see you, they quickly pop away again. At length, an older man in the uniform of a town guard stands at the alley entrance.

"Young man, the Watch Commander must see you,"

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
For everyone else, you also hear the shriek, but could not really determine its source. The sound seems to hasten the town guards, who begin to separate the people out into groups, mostly involving those in the Guild, those who came to investigate, and those who already started to investigate. Master Vorj clearly wants to throw up his hands in frustration, but politely stays and lets the commander know who is searching the dead body. Though Vorj finds the lot of you odd, he's also seen your skills over the past several days. He's a fair man.

Arrgha'n and Valerian find themselves being asked about their findings by the two watch inquisitives as Maavnod is rounded up to be questioned as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Previously...

EvolutionKB said:
Oliver looked around in his pack for the chalk had bought. I thought I had it in here, I'll have to get some more before we leave. Once Oliver has made his bound Paimon, he shakes his head, his wits were not about him again today. Hopefully I won't make the same mistake again that I made last night with Valtrax. Her abruptness set his off his guard, something he rarely experienced. No matter, if she won't speak to me, I won't be speaking to her. After adjusting his appearance and getting rid of the unsightly sign that marked his face, he goes downstairs, grabs a quick breakfast and then gets a good supply of chalk.

I assume this was okay, I had meant to put them on my sheet, but then forgot somehow. I'll spend a gold to get 100 days worth of chalk. I'll use my ability to suppress my sign as well, all the time, sorry I didn't mention it earlier.
OOC: No problem about buying the chalk.

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Oliver keeps his distance from Yatrax, but when she approaches and speaks to him he can't hold his tongue. "Don't you remember, I am not afraid of demons, why would I be afraid of you?" he says with a wink. "Would you like to walk with me, I feel like I am the only normal one here," he says with a glance at the winged kobold, the mutated giant, and the hobgoblin thing. "I'll defend you if we are attacked."
"I appreciate that. A skillful warrior is always a welcome companion," she says with a smile.

You do notice something a little odd about Yatrax. Though she's quite pleasant company, carnally and elsewhere when Paimon is bound, she doesn't even talk to you during the brief period each day between Paimon's departure and re-binding. You do learn, however, that Yatrax's abilities do fall in the manipulation of shadows. Her very touch can daze, or she can use the shadows themselves to enhance her charm. She seems genial enough, but sometimes she seems to know more than she should.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Currently...

After a long journey, and the multitude of excuses to escape the sight of others in the morning to bind Paimon, Oliver perks up at the sound of the screaming. Not hearing the sounds of battle, Oliver slinks away from the eyes of others, whether that be in an unattended wagon at the end of the caravan or just around the corner of an alley, it doesn't matter as long as he is out of sight. Finally some distraction where I don't have to make up some lame excuse. He begins drawing the sign on the ground taking a few minutes to make sure all will come out right.

Binding check + 5
Your pact today, as it is more often than not, is poor.

Assuming he binds Paimon without notice from the others in the caravan, he returns to the screaming, if asked about his whereabouts he says he was relieving himself.

Bluff +8
You return from your binding to hear a cut-off scream that never came from a human throat, arriving at the Guildhouse in time to see the watch start to gather up those of your traveling companions that had tried to see what was going on.

EvolutionKB said:
Once Oliver pushes his way through the crowd and sees the body, he steps back outside. He peers around, looking for Yatrax, making sure she was safe. Blade drawn and shield readied, he goes around the perimeter of the building, looking for any signs of forced entry or anything out of the ordinary.

Search/Spot/Listen: +2/-1/-1
Yatrax you find at the edge of the crowd, and she regards you gravely.

"Wait a moment Oliver, the watch must have their say." Her voice drops to a whisper and she leans to his ear. "I saw a gray crown above the Guildhall. Something doesn't sit well with the wind here."

Zurai

First Post
Valerian, Elven Archivist

There is a faint magical aura of conjuration, but it is fading rapidly.

OOC: Can Valerian tell how rapidly it's fading? In other words, can he tell how recently the conjuration magic was cast?

Valerian will be honest and up-front with the Watch as far as his investigation is concerned. If they try to pry into his personal affairs, he will decline to say anything more revealing than, "I am travelling with Master Vorj's caravan. He can vouch for my conduct."

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Arrgha'n (Half-Daelkyr Kin-Hunter) HP:28

After finishing looking at the scene Arrgha'n looks over to Valerian. Pointing to the tracks at various points he says "The Master Tanner was working in the center of the room on something when the Marauder appeared. The man fled to the door to be terminated by the Spawn. The Filcher then appeared there and collected what was here, including the mans belt pouch."

This is too organized and consistent. Arrgha'n worries about the potential implications.

He continues "I am concerned that these creatures may be working for someone.

I am also quite curious if the Master Tanner was working on a specific project for someone.

What do you see, Elf?
"

[OOC: He will cooperate with the local law enforcement, and as Valerian has stated, our personal plans are our own and we are with the caravan.]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads