The Hellcow Report

What's Eberron creator Keith Baker up to? Quite a lot, as it happens! Q&As about dragon marks, news on his new card based roleplaying game Phoenix: Dawn Command, conventions, and podcasts. Plus, of course, the big question - Eberron in 5E? He says "I still don't have any news about official Eberron content, other than that I am still talking with WotC about it and that I do believe it will happen (though I don't know what form it will take). Progress is slow, but it's still progress."

What's Eberron creator Keith Baker up to? Quite a lot, as it happens! Q&As about dragon marks, news on his new card based roleplaying game Phoenix: Dawn Command, conventions, and podcasts. Plus, of course, the big question - Eberron in 5E? He says "I still don't have any news about official Eberron content, other than that I am still talking with WotC about it and that I do believe it will happen (though I don't know what form it will take). Progress is slow, but it's still progress."
Here it is, all in his own words!

Hey Everyone!

2015 has been a very busy year for me, so I haven't been checking the board as often as I used to. I just wanted to let you know what's going on in the World of Hellcow.

Dragonmark Q&As. I just posted a new Q&A on my website (Keith-Baker.com), which discusses the curses of Xen'drik, the origins of the Kalashtar, non-Kalashtar quori-themed warlocks, and lots and lots of Thrane/Flame issues. I hope to be posting a Q&A at least every 3-4 weeks. If you have a question you want my opinion on, your best bet is to email me through the contact link on the website.

Eberron in 5E. I still don't have any news about official Eberron content, other than that I am still talking with WotC about it and that I do believe it will happen (though I don't know what form it will take). Progress is slow, but it's still progress.

Phoenix: Dawn Command. One reason I haven't been on the forums as often is because I'm busy working on a new roleplaying game, which I'll be taking to kickstarter next month. Phoenix: Dawn Command is a card-based roleplaying game in which character death is an integral part of the story; death is actually how you grow stronger, though there are limits on how many times you can return. While Phoenix is a card-based system, it is a traditional roleplaying game as opposed to, say, the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Here's a link to one of my recent posts about Phoenix; if you're interested in hearing more, sign up for the mailing list here.

Conventions. I'll be at Gamestorm in PDX March 20-22nd and at Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle March 27-30th, doing demos and talking about Eberron, Phoenix and Gloom. I'll post more details at my website.

Podcast. For the last 15 years I've had a weekly phonecall with Fluxx designer Andrew Looney, and just recently we decided to start recording our calls so other folks can listen in. I can't promise you'll find it interesting - it is literally just our weekly catch-up call - but feel free to check it out and see for yourself!

Hellcow out!

turkeygiant

First Post
I am really interested to see what Phoenix looks like, reminds me a bit of Exalted in the tone they are suggesting. It would be nice to get on board a game like that from ground zero/first edition.

trystero

Explorer
I missed out the word "Dawn" on first skim and thought Baker was making a card-based RPG out of Phoenix Command, the incredibly-crunchy Leading Edge Games combat system from the 1980s.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Happy to hear that Keith and Wizards are in discussion, his Eberron setting (the newst I believe) was ground breaking stuff. Hope this means that official setting material for Forgotten Realms and Eberron is in the works.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
Happy to hear that Keith and Wizards are in discussion, his Eberron setting (the newst I believe) was ground breaking stuff. Hope this means that official setting material for Forgotten Realms and Eberron is in the works.

Technically, I think Nentir Vale (4th Edition core) would be the newest setting, but Eberron would be the newest that takes a strict departure from traditional D&D and has an extensive line of releases.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I missed out the word "Dawn" on first skim and thought Baker was making a card-based RPG out of Phoenix Command, the incredibly-crunchy Leading Edge Games combat system from the 1980s.

Actually, it probably did say that. Keith pointed out my little mistake, and I corrected it!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads