The Journey To...Romance Of The Three Kingdoms

Role playing games are rooted in human myth and the continuation of oral tradition, up to and including the war games that are RPGs' direct ancestors. Although the stories that primarily drive play are derived from north and northwest Europe (Moorcock, Tolkien, various versions of Norse mythology), there is a vast and often neglected collection of human mythology and history available for play. The idea of this series is to talk about the history and mythology of other cultures and how players and game masters can incorporate this bounty into their own characters and stories. Today we journey to ancient China and the last days of the Han dynasty.

Role playing games are rooted in human myth and the continuation of oral tradition, up to and including the war games that are RPGs' direct ancestors. Although the stories that primarily drive play are derived from north and northwest Europe (Moorcock, Tolkien, various versions of Norse mythology), there is a vast and often neglected collection of human mythology and history available for play. The idea of this series is to talk about the history and mythology of other cultures and how players and game masters can incorporate this bounty into their own characters and stories. Today we journey to ancient China and the last days of the Han dynasty.

The Three Kingdoms is a period of Chinese history that has been covered by film, video game, and board games but seems underrepresented in RPGs. A real historical period between the fall of the Han dynasty and the beginning of the Jing, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a novel that has immortalized this period. The historical romance is attributed to Luo Guanzhong. Guanzhong takes historical events and transforms them into legend to tell a tale of war, politics, ambition, and betrayal. The fates of the nations of Wei, Shu, and Wu are entwined in an ever shifting world of alliances and personal politics.

With such a dense source material to work from, a game master won't lack for conflict and details to choose from. It is however, the focus on the personalities that makes the novel as well as the period a perfect sell for a campaign. Role playing games are about larger than life characters and few works of literature express this better than Romance. These are not mere mythological analogues, but actual people who lived, loved, and died during a tumultuous period in the history of one of Earth's greatest nations.

How can you use this? Romance of the Three Kingdoms is not a dungeon crawl setting. Where it can shine however, is as a campaign focused on politics and power, with high stakes decisions affecting the lives of millions. Every character will not be carrying a sword, which makes a game focused on the politics behind the battles extremely rewarding. A tale of families and politics on par with the War of the Roses / A Song of Ice and Fire is available for the ambitious game master willing to tackle the source material in depth. Of course there is plenty of fodder for individual heroes interacting with legendary figures like Liu Bei and / or the more metaphysical myths of Chinese lore. Indeed, combining Journey to the West with Romance of the Three Kingdoms would make for an outstanding play experience.

China has a long history and a wonderful mythology that goes beyond what we have talked about here. I recommend taking a look for yourself and breaking free from gaming tradition for a while to walk among legends who actually lived. The Romance of the Three Kingdoms is well worth the experience.
SaveSave

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Having spent a good third of my life living in East and SouthEast Asia, and being a fan of world mythologies, I often draw upon my experiences and reading when world building. My tips for doing this in your games include:

1. Stick with short stories. Rather than creating sweeping story arcs, it is much easier to work in elements of Chinese ghost stories, stories of scholars travelling to/from the national exams being tricked/waylayed by fox spirits, and the stories of dragons and their interactions with scholars and other mortals (scholars as protagonists is very common in Chinese literature because (1) they were the ones writing the stories and (2) the long history of national exams in such a large country had led to centuries worth of road-trip stories).

2. Unless you really like to do the research to run a historically accurate game, don't sweat the details. You are creating your own fantasy cultures and histories. Just pick up cool details from here and there and work them into your setting as you see fit. Reading/researching other cultures histories and myths can be great inspiration. Don't get weighed down by the overwhelming amount of content.

3. Know your players. I don't think you need to be overly sensitive about cultural appropriation or being disrespectful of other cultures—you are playing a fantasy game of swords and sorcery. But do know your players. If you want to use the Hindi pantheon in your game, for example, keep in mind that this could be considered highly offensive to devout Hindus. Generally it is better to make up your own pantheon. I find it interesting that WoTC still includes the Norse mythology, given that there are still small groups of people who still worship these gods in real life, but I do use them in my game. If I had players who were practicing believers in Asatru or Odinism, I might change that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Koei made the awesome "Legend of Cao Cao" which was a great strategy RPG. If you follow the neutral or evil path, you follow Cao Cao's rise to power as it happens in the historical novel. But if you choose the good path, then Cao Cao allies with Lieu Bei to fight against a demonic invasion. Both paths are pretty fun, and there are plenty of character classes and magical gear for RPG fans. I always thought the Keoi Legends games would translate well to pen and paper.

http://kongming.net/legend_of_cao_cao/

I have been hitching to run some Mythic China scenarios for years. Ruleswise, I have yet to find a game I like. Dragon Fist looked like a good game, but I never gave it a proper time at the table (only the occasional one-shot.)

neobolts

Explorer
Ok, wading in.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms (R3K) is my favorite novel and probably the most influential work on the worlds and sessions I DM.

WHY R3K IS A GREAT SETTING
The political and military movements of R3K are fascinating. There are tons of tactical board games (often like the complex WWII board game sims popular in the West), primarily in the Chinese market (https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objecttype=boardgame&q=Three+Kingdoms&B1=Go). And while the military/diplomacy aspect makes for a great Birthright/Kingmaker type adventure, where the novel excels is in the characterization of the heroes and the epic duels that they fight. This aspect makes R3K feel more akin to the Trials of Hercules or the Arthurian Legend. A third great aspect of the series is the brilliant minds that execute fun and inventive military strategies. The master strategists come from both military and Taoist spiritual backgrounds and are eccentric and memorable.

HOW TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE SETTING
There are a couple of different "canons" in R3K, for lack of a better word. This grew out of the legends that arose from a long oral tradition about the period. The most popular account by far is the novelization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms), which feels right at home with modern Wuxia films. Others are fans of the historical version of events (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Kingdoms). If you go down the rabbit hole, there are many folk tales that go beyond the novels, and even other at-times contradictory written works, such as The Tale of Hua Guan Suo (http://threekingdoms.wikia.com/wiki/The_Story_of_Hua_Guan_Suo ).

If you are interested in the setting at all, there are a couple of great entry points:
- First there is the novel itself, a free English version is here: threekingdoms.com (just scroll down past the seemingly abandoned pitch for a web-based R3K game).
- There are a number of TV series/films based on the novel/history. Three Kingdoms 2010 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Kingdoms_(TV_series)) is a great series, but the subtitles on the official release are..ummm..."special"...at times. Instead, for a quick introduction, I would recommend the subtitled film Red Cliff (https://www.netflix.com/title/70130851). Another possibility is the out-of-print dubbed anime film Great Conquest (http://articles.latimes.com/1993-09-27/entertainment/ca-39509_1_great-conquest). I would avoid the weird Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Kingdoms:_Resurrection_of_the_Dragon) as well as the slow moving 1990s TV series.
-There have been a large number of video games as well. The two most famous are Koei Tecmo's Romance of the Three Kingdoms (a complex and nearly impenetrable strategy series) and Dynasty Warriors (a 3d brawler driven by tactical objectives).

WHAT ELSE IS THERE?
Others have mentioned Journey to the West (the legend of the Monkey King) as another great Chinese source for campaign inspiration. I would add to that Outlaws of the Marsh (aka Water Margin; a Robin Hood like tale where 108 destined heroes set up a swamp hideout and work to free the Emperor from corrupt ministers) and the tale of Supreme Ancestor Liu Bang (a story of warring factions that ended with the founding of the Han dynasty).

Last edited by a moderator:

neobolts

Explorer
I don't know if that directly influenced the naginata, but there is a clear influence of Chinese and Mongol sabers on the development of the katana, so it wouldn't surprise me.

"Dao" is literally a single edged sword (a cutlass-like peasant sword). The primitive versions of a guandao are little more than a peasant sword on a stick for mounted combat. I'm not sure if one culture influenced the other, but I'd wager as soon as any civilization domesticated horses, lashing swords to poles wasn't far behind.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
I don't know if that directly influenced the naginata, but there is a clear influence of Chinese and Mongol sabers on the development of the katana, so it wouldn't surprise me.

The Chinese had a semi-colonial-like influence on Japan; when Japan uses Chinese-style writing, they call it "kanji" and it is very intelectual and formal to use. Even though Japan is very proud of their destinctive identity, their Chinese influence is plain as day.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads