D&D 5E The Kalarian Precipice - Chapter Four

Metea

First Post
Metea: Watch your step

Metea finally scuttled away from the edge.

"There is water down there, or something like it. A great puddle of black puddings, perhaps. Either way, I don't think we should try spelunking down that hole. It doesn't feel like a hewn hole to me- dwarves would be more precise about it. Shame we can't ask him," she nodded towards the dwarf.

The tiefling brightened then. "You know the wilds, don't you, Dain?" She'd say, seeming little worried about disrupting his investigation into which path they took next. "Do you suppose there are sea monsters down there?"

Sea monsters, with gems instead of eyes!

"There's some cracks and crevices. So maybe sea birds already live there," a breathless, excited pause. "Or harpies."

Carthum One-Tusk: Watch Your Step

Despite himself, Carthum nearly laughed. "Metea! Stop teasing the Fates," he said. Of course, they were already taunting the fates just by being down here- Metea's enthusiasm for their group's disembowelment was not likely to change things.

"And if there are no sea monsters down there, there are jagged rocks. So stay away from the edge," he continued, a bit more serious now.

"I would sore like to see some sunlight again, or even moonlight, if I have so lost the meaning of time in this trackless mines," Carthum murmured. Both paths looking the same to his untrained eyes, he trusted the others would choose the safest path.

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain-Watch your Step

Dain looked down the tunnel for some moments, then backed up, turning around to face the others.

"Sea monsters? Most likely, yes." He said this without any humor. And why should he? Had they not already fought demonic beasts? A sea monster would be almost welcome.

"I am for continuing on. That hole is too dangerous for this group." Outside of himself and Annit, he did not think the others likely to make it to the bottom without some incident that could cost them their lives. Setting up a rope system would take time and preparation. They just weren't equipped for it.

He turned back around to once again peer down the first tunnel on the right. It was as good a path as any.

Last edited:

97mg

Explorer
Watch your Step

Great creatures from the deep, harpies in flight, falls down an enormous makeshift staircase; Annit's team seemed to have been stained with pessimism. Not really a surprise having encountered armored constructs, walking bones and crackling baby demons already.

If they didn't want to go down, that was fine with Annit. She'd take her place in the group's formation as required and follow wherever they thought best. It was an impressive sight in here, the sections that Otiroth's orbs and the torches could illuminate. Below their ledge, things were complex. What if each crevice in the hole's walls led to more narrow twisting paths? What if they got lost? Maybe the group was right to have questioned what exactly, they were seeking. Young Annit sadly, just didn't have the answers, be they salt, gems or some other kind of item or knowledge.

With no immediate threats detected, she lowered her bow a moment and crouched next to the dwarf, whispering, "how are you going, you are safe my friend, but we would be safer if you were awake."

She decided to touch the little man's hand, just out of curiosity. Well, that moonstone was in a firm grip! Good news on two accounts. He was getting stronger, and the prize hadn't been lost.

Jeovanna

First Post
Jeovanna: Watch your step

Well, either path they took, it looked especially rough going. Carthum was strong enough, but his heavy armor would be a hindrance. A dwarf in his arms, even more so.

Jeovanna joined Annit for a moment, watching as she spoke to the dwarf. He did not stir, though. A shame. "Perhaps some fresh air will do him well, too. I'll carry him for now," the barbarian said.

She did not mind continuing in front, either. So long as they all kept an eye out for trouble, their burden could be laid down quickly enough. Jeovanna swept the demihuman up in her arms, and nodding to the others, would prepare to head down to the right-most cavern.

<Acrobatics/athletic checks 18/20>

Otiroth

First Post
Otiroth: Watch your step

Otiroth would sneak a squeeze of Metea's hand. Then, perhaps, not let go. Jeovanna was already heading to the front- Otiroth would let Dain and Annit decide between them who would head alongside her, and who would guard the rear of the party. As for him and Metea- they were still in the middle, and would likely stay that way for awhile!

Jeovanna moved ahead with far more grace and surety of footing than Otiroth could pretend he could ever possess. Quite enthralling, really, even if she was carrying a dwarf.

He'd watch where she stepped as well; if the footing there was clear enough for the barbarian, it was clear enough for him!

Well.. maybe he'd do a bit more slipping and stumbling.

Metea

First Post
Metea: Watch your step

Well, Metea and Otiroth could help each other over the rough terrain! It was probably best neither of them were responsible for carrying the dwarf.

Her eyes glowed faintly, reflecting the light from Otiroth's dancing lights. She could see quite well, actually, and would keep an eye out for any pit falls that might be hidden underneath how easy Jeovanna made it all look. Also, she'd keep an ear out for bats. Because she had a feeling if any bats came along, that poor dwarf was getting dropped.

"We have learned that demons and undead walk even here, so close to Kalair, where so many claimed they could never be. We have learned that magic is eager to be found," the tiefling quietly reviewed their gains so far. And, thinking about it- they had learned much. Could a random guard patrol have handled those demons? Perhaps, but perhaps the guards worked better when they could work as a squad, and the tight corners of the mine would have prevented it.

"We have learned..."

Where is it? Is this the right way? Wait, no, don't tell me... I want to see what's coming next!

Jeovanna had relieved Carthum of his burden, as slight of a physical one as it was. Who knows, perhaps being cradled in the barbarian's arms would do good for the dwarf in a way that armor hadn't been?

Argh! Suru, forgive me!

He would cast light upon his shield once more, so that it could light the paths of his companions, and take up the rear of the party once more.

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain - Down the Crack

With Jeovanna carrying the dwarf, and doing a fine job of it he had to admit, Dain would take the point position. He held his torch aloft, carrying his sword in a ready position. As he walked through the shadows made by fire and magic, listening to the others and peering forward, his mind raced.

Devil's arse. I think I may need to invest in a mail shirt. And a helm. Soft leather and free hair is good enough for traversing the wilds, but is proving inadequate for close-quarter fighting. I feel like a harried mule-deer with its antlers nubbed. Probably look like one too, at this point. Mange. Rot. But my sword is proving its mettle well enough. I wonder where I got it? Was it a gift? A spoil of war, ripped from the dead hand of some mighty foe? Did I inherit it? Or...arse...did I steal it? Essithea...

One of the potions made a slight jingle in his pack as it brushed against something. He grinned slightly to himself.

Skunk dung...I do look forward to drinking that mystery juice. Some similar act of reckless bravado probably landed me in Kalair without a past. Was it all just some night of drinking gone awry, 'Darkspring'? Essithea...how can you abide us mortals? Do I please you at all or do you laugh at me, like I would an aimless ant walking in circles upon a log, lost from its comrades? I like to think I would either put it out of its misery or reunite it with its kind, at least.

He moved on, ever vigilant.

I'm hungry as a cave-bear in the spring. I smell like one, I'm sure of that. My kingdom for a clear creek to bathe in and a haunch of venison served with wild red-tops! Gods. And some company besides? I wonder if Annit has ever swam in a still mountain lake? Essithea...I bet the Tiefling would flail about like a chicken in a water trough! Does she preen after a bath, like an eagle in her eyrie? Devil's arse. I'd wager Otiroth would enjoy that. Feather bed for the princeling!

He smiled to himself again. In the darkness.

No doubt Carthum is imagining Jeovanna carrying their buttery child in her arms, even as she carries that poor dwarf. Essithea...love is in the air...even in this damnable pit! Mortals are tenacious, you must give us that! Is it enough that we amuse you?

We will find these gems. We will find these gems. Devil's arse, we will find these gems. Or we'll die trying. Dust and bones, Dain. A foul smell downwind and the buzzing of flies...Essithea...do not show me this. I must focus!

<A devil's arse>

<Perception check=22>
<Insight check (to be fair in noticing Carthum might be attracted to Jeovanna)=18>

Last edited:

97mg

Explorer
Down the Crack

Your chosen path zigzags through the rock and all are aware that you are descending, as each yard of progress seems to drop by a foot or so. At times, even Annit is able to be at eye level with Jeovanna up at the front. A short time into Dain’s chosen crevice, the ground begins to lose a lot of the firm consistency you’ve grown accustomed to. Here and there the surface beneath your feet appears to contain small splits and cracks. Occasionally loose lumps of basalt come under toe. It still feels solid and motionless, safe, but the rock formations here are random, cut by nature’s will. This area feels raw, less tampered with. Until you turn a corner.

Anxiously looking around a hairpin bend, Dain’s torch reveals a most unusual sight. Ahead, the crevice splits into two ways ahead, a pair of shadowy fractures leading off into an unknown. At their intersection a great darkness upon the ground. A hole several yards in length that swallows your light.

“What is it? Why have we stopped,” Annit whispers.

It is not only the ground that has caught Dain’s scouting eyes. On the wall to the left, someone has chiseled a small arrow form into the rock, which points right. And on the right? Vice versa. Before Dain can see the humor in it, his hairs stand on end.

<Jumping across the hole to proceed either left or right looks possible, but not without risk. It would take a short runup and decent timing to clear it. A DC12 Athletics check.

We need an intelligence check from everyone at this point, and will factor that into a group investigation result (assuming you plan to spend at least a round contemplating what to do)

Annit Int check = 10>

arrows.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases