• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Legend of Vox Machina (Spoilers)

Hussar

Legend
If you really don't mind the spoiler:

Thanks. Just read the first bit so no real spoilers. đź‘Ť

This show is really one of the most successful adaptations of any piece of media into tv show form I've ever seen. Season 1 took a little while to find its groove (or for me to adjust to its groove), but season 2 was just firing on all cylinders from beginning to end (admittedly maybe a little too intensely in episode 1 for people unfamiliar who hadn't watched the prior season recently). And whereas season 1 was so close to the source material that I, having watched the whole first campaign, was never exactly excited to find out what would happen next, season 2 changed things up just enough to keep me that much more interested while nevertheless serving up most the best elements from the liveplay, and hitting all the most compelling character points.

I can totally understand if mileage varies based on taste, but in terms of achievement in translating a series of 4 hour liveplays of D&D into a cartoon adventure series in half hour installments, season one was impressive and season two is an unmitigated triumph.

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
Ashley Johnson is not a good singer. I love her as Pike but that song did not hit for me. I really enjoyed this season.

I would like to see Neil Patrick Harris voice a rival bard to Scanlan. I don't know why, but I think seeing those two ham it up would be epic. Speaking of Scanlan, I liked his dream, until they all started morphing into Vax. I hope it comes true.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just another amen about the dragons.

I found myself very jealous at the black dragon's reliable acid recharge. Let's just say the six-sided die is not my friend.

Really thinking about removing the recharge mechanic when running ancient dragons. Or perhaps reverse it. Roll for a 1 in 6 chance of the dragon not being able to use its breath weapon. Again, just for ancient dragons.
Play with interesting mechanics. Last session my characters came across a Shadow Horror (Ravnica book, though homebrew setting). I removed the recharge for it's Lashing Shadows, but made it only work in dim or no light. Well, the party's Sunlight-on-a-stone has just been swallowed by another creature, and non-magical light sources only give off dim light in this cursed area...

The way Matt Mercer DMs Dragons is....memorable.

As noted, they are Goliaths, and acknas such in Wikdemoujt, which reprints the Goliath rules with Exandria fluff.

The game started as a 4E Ne tir Vale PoL campaign (still has the Nentir Vale pantheon, with Pike's goddess being the lone interloper), then moved to Pathfinder: since one of the PCs was already a Goliath, no doubt Mercer juat used the 3.x rules in Pathfinder. And when they moved to 5E, they already had Goliaths available (and Deep Gnomes, as that's what Pike is in game stat terms).

Pike's freaking Deep Gnome? I had her pegged as a Forest or Rock Gnome.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Pike's freaking Deep Gnome? I had her pegged as a Forest or Rock Gnome.
Yup, when they originally did intro videos for their livestrwam, the Tricklefoots were called out as Deep Gnomes (and she does know Undercommon), but oer the fan Wiki it does seem somewhat unclear:

The Trickfoot gnomish lineage

During Campaign One it was mentioned that Pike's ancestors were deep gnomes,[7][8] and this is reflected in certain family traits, like the knowledge of Undercommon that has been passed down the generations to reach Pike's.[9] However, members of this family do not have the usual appearance associated with nether gnomes, displaying more human-like skin tones than the more common grayish; and without abilities of this subrace, such as a superior darkvision.[10] At times Pike has been referred to as a rock gnome,[11] while at others the Trickfoots are referred to as a clan of forest gnomes,[12] although the Champion of Sarenrae hasn't manifested specific abilities of either of those subraces either.

The simplest explanation is that, as Pike explains in her story, her ancestors were deep gnomes who settled on the surface, and over the generations, marriages with forest and rock gnomes diluted the most characteristic features of the Underdark subrace. The fact that they are considered a clan and that Pike has several relatives also implies that the Trickfoots are generally considered forest gnomes (in part because of their ancestral home near the Bramblewood Forest)[13] and that only specific branches of the family trace their origins to the blood of the nether gnomes.

Remove ads