The Level-Modifier Mechanic

Tilenas

Explorer
Hoping that it will fix some of the issue with high-level play in 3.x (notably the exacerbating gaps between high and low attack/save progressions), I adopted the level-modifier for my house rules. It works as follows:

Level-Modifier = character level/2 (round down).

Add the level-modifier to attack rolls, saving throws, initiative checks, AC, and reputation checks.

At first level, your character receives a number of starting bonuses depending on their class, e.g.:

The Barbarian
Base Attack: +2
Armor Class: +1
Initiative: +1
Fortitude: +2
Reflex: +1
Will: +1

The starting bonuses reflect the training the character received before they started adventuring.
Multiclass characters receive the starting bonuses of the single class in which they have attained the most levels. If this applies to two or more classes, the character keeps their previous bonuses, i.e. no changes are made.

Example:
If Brb 3 multiclasses to Brb 3/Sor 3, they keep their Brb starting bonuses.
If they then proceed to Brb 3/Sor 4, the starting bonuses switch to sorceror, as the character has now attained more levels in Sor as in any other class.

Known problems:
- As 3.x still builds on the notion that spellcasters will compensate their low combat abilities (small hit dice, low attack bonuses, no armor for arcane spellcasters) with spells, the relative boost in those stats the level-modifier affords them will have to be matched by a boost for the non-spellcasters (powers, anyone?)
- 3.x also revolves around a fairly static AC which is boosted mainly through Dex and magic armor. Making AC level-dependent mandates the careful eyeballing of many monster stats (I'll just get rid of these ridiculously high natural armor bonuses and see from there)
- Also, with generally higher ACs (especially in humanoids), combat will take much longer, unless HP are adjusted (I use the vitality/wound point system, which sort of makes everyone dependent on critical hits to finish a fight quickly)
- Certain prestige class requirements (BAB, Save) are now much more easily attained by those classes the respective PrC isn't designed for. How big a problem that is I can't gauge as of yet, however.

Bladesinger_Boy

First Post
1/2BAB with extra +1 to hit/ 4 levels for fighter types

Maybe 1/2 BAB for all and fighter types also get a +1 to hit (not quite BAB) at 1st every 4 levels thereafter (1st, 5th, 9th, 13th, 17th, ...). We might also want things like Weapon Focus to give +1 to hit per tier to make sure fighter types aren't too far behind. This would also be a great point to ratchet down spellcasters spell advancement. Let them get 0th and 1st level spells at 1st level, and new spell levels every 3 levels thereafter. Both Wizards are Sorcs would get their new spell levels at the same level, not 1 level apart... why is that even there?

Class Level_____Spell Level
(28..........................10)

I'd even add a 10th level slot at 28th. Optional.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Let them get 0th and 1st level spells at 1st level, and new spell levels every 3 levels thereafter.
This is exactly what I did to 3e, among other things. It helps. A lot. Non-full casters get them with even greater gaps between spell levels.

Both Wizards are Sorcs would get their new spell levels at the same level, not 1 level apart... why is that even there?
Because Sorcerers receive so many more spells per day, and don't have to prepare them.

Kerrick

First Post
That's already balanced by the fact that they have a limited repertoire. I think the reasoning behind the delayed progression was because they can metamagic on the fly (course, that's balanced by the full-round casting, so I don't really see a reason for the delayed progression either).

Bladesinger_Boy

First Post
Kerrick, maybe what I want is a more thematic and power balancing, rather than saying "this type of caster is more powerful so he gets docked 1 level of spell advancement".

I'd prefer to have it so prepared casters (like Wizards) have fewer mana/spell slots but have a wider range of possible spells both per day and overall access to new spells. Spontaneous casters, on the other hand, should more mana/spell slots but have a very limited range of spells per day or otherwise, almost becoming a "one trick pony" or something perhaps sought after to sac mana/spell slots for other effects (ex: Arcane Strike, Spell Shield variant, etc).

A Wizard is eclectic, collegial to his casting peers, and able to learn new spells.
A Sorcerer is specialized, not very social to his casting peers, and unable to learn new spells.

Since I want the same thing for other "sources" of magic, I'd make the same contrast with:
Clerics & Favoured Souls
Druids & Shamans
Psions & Wilders

Kerrick

First Post
Kerrick, maybe what I want is a more thematic and power balancing, rather than saying "this type of caster is more powerful so he gets docked 1 level of spell advancement".
I wasn't saying that's how you should do it - I was just attempting to rationalize the dev's decisions. As I said, I think the delayed level progression was a dumb idea - wizards are far more powerful than sorcerers, even without that.

I'd prefer to have it so prepared casters (like Wizards) have fewer mana/spell slots but have a wider range of possible spells both per day and overall access to new spells. Spontaneous casters, on the other hand, should more mana/spell slots but have a very limited range of spells per day or otherwise, almost becoming a "one trick pony" or something perhaps sought after to sac mana/spell slots for other effects (ex: Arcane Strike, Spell Shield variant, etc).
That makes sense, and sounds good. Just be sure to grant the spontaneous casters different class abilities to make them unique, instead of like the sorcerer is now - a wizard who casts spells on the fly.

A Wizard is eclectic, collegial to his casting peers, and able to learn new spells.
A Sorcerer is specialized, not very social to his casting peers, and unable to learn new spells.
This is the only thing I don't agree with. Sorcerers must be able to learn new spells, or they will be completely useless. For instance, here's what I did:

As sorcerers are closely tied to the source of magic, one can learn how to cast a spell of any type – divine or arcane - simply by watching someone else do it. He must watch the entire time – if the casting time is more than 1 round, he can't just watch one or two rounds and gain full knowledge of the spell. If he wishes to try to learn the spell, he must make a Spellcraft check to identify it (DC 12 + spell level – sorcerers can identify spells more easily because of their innate ability to manipulate magic). If this check is successful, he can attempt to learn it by making a second Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell level). If the spell is modified by metamagic, the level adjustment also factors in, but he can't learn the spell unless he has the feat(s) being used – metamagic alters the fundamental casting of the spell, and only someone with the proper feat(s) can "reverse engineer" the spell by eliminating the altered parts.

If he successfully identifies the spell, he can add it to his spells known if he has an open slot of the proper level (if the spell is cast by multiple classes, he always chooses the lowest level). It doesn't become available for casting until he rests and replenishes his spells, however; it takes time for him to learn the nuances of the new spell and properly process it. If he does not have an open slot, he can still replace an existing spell with the new one, but he can do so only three times per level.

Bladesinger_Boy

First Post
I think I mentioned somewhere else I'm going to be using a mana/spell points system.

I think sorcerers should be able to change like as is (each time they hit a new spell level) but too often undermines the Wizard.

Remove ads