D&D 5E The life and times of Peasant #453: Benefits of collaborative world building

woonga

First Post
Something I've learned from my (relatively short) time DMing, is that no matter how rich I try to make the world, those dastardly party members will always throw a wrench in things. The well thought out backstories- they'll never see the light of day! That merchant with the rich, detailed personality that I'd been planning on sharing? Of course they don't bother talking to him! The nerve!

And then these "adventurers" want to have a detailed conversation with the one NPC that I didn't think up in advance? Who is this guy!? He's nobody!

This threw me off for a while. At best, I would do a quick random name generator and say the Lord/Lady had no time for them and didn't want to talk; anything to avoid having to pull this unformed character out of the ether. But that's pretty disappointing for the PCs- they show interest in someone and there's nothing there. And it's disappointing to me as a GM, because it made my world look like the Hollywood set that it was, prop buildings and lifeless extras with nothing behind them. But planning out an entirely populated world, where every possible character has its place, is totally impossible. And improving a character on the spot just seemed too hard. I have a whole world to worry about- how can I breathe life into this guy with a moment's notice?!?

So what I've started doing that's made my life much easier, and made the game a whole lot more fun, is sharing that burden with the party. The party rogue wants to know more information about the corrupt guard that I mentioned in passing (and probably by accident)? Awesome! That means that you're invested. Now you tell me what the guard's name is. Tell me about that crime he arrested you for once, and how he shook you down. What did he look like? The cleric wants to know what god the Bullywoog tribe is worshipping? Cool! I want to know that too! Go ahead and tell me. And what kind of unique ritual do they perform? How does your character know about it?

Throwing these kinds of questions out there takes a little bit of a burden off of me as DM, but more importantly it makes it our world that we're playing in, not just my world. By pulling something off of the top of their head, and relating it back to their character, the players just made the universe richer and established their place in it a little more firmly. And not only are they much more likely to be invested in Peasant #453, who I never even considered existed, but we just came up with a reason for him to be there that's far more interesting than something I could have made up alone in the moment without the players' input. The players start to latch onto these characters, it pulls us in weird and fun directions, and they start feeling encouraged to ask even more questions each session. The world keeps getting richer and richer, with no extra work from the poor, overburdened DM.

Do you all do this kind of collaborative world building in your games? What's worked well for you? And if you haven't, I highly recommend giving it a shot!

Bladecoder

First Post
I have to say that I can relate to your problem, and although you solved much differently then I did, I still admire your creative solution!

I would have just taken the backstory of that merchant that the players skipped earlier and given it to that random npc, this way you still get to share it and your world seems to have depth. However, I have taken some Improv classes so I could just make up something and possibly run with it.

I have tried world building with my Pcs but they are usually not that interested, perhaps I will try your method and see how it works out for me! Thanks for the post!

Tony Vargas

Legend
improving a character on the spot just seemed too hard. I have a whole world to worry about- how can I breathe life into this guy with a moment's notice?!?
It gets easier.

So what I've started doing that's made my life much easier, and made the game a whole lot more fun, is sharing that burden with the party. The party rogue wants to know more information about the corrupt guard that I mentioned in passing (and probably by accident)? Awesome! That means that you're invested. Now you tell me what the guard's name is. Tell me about that crime he arrested you for once, and how he shook you down. What did he look like?
Ever play FATE?
Seriously, did you just come up with that out of the blue?

Do you all do this kind of collaborative world building in your games? What's worked well for you?
Have done in the past with Hero and Storyteller games, not lately, not with D&D.

aco175

Legend
Anytime you can get players involved to help define the world the better. You should get the thief to make a crime table and have him roll on his crime and penalty.

woonga

First Post
Ever play FATE?
Seriously, did you just come up with that out of the blue?

Not familiar with FATE, but I'll check it out! The idea (for our group) came out of a session zero prior to the new party forming. We used modified Fiasco rules to set up the characters backstories, relationships, and some details about the starting location. The group seemed to really be into contributing to the world building, so I decided to try and start sneaking it into subsequent sessions. It definitely wasn't an approach I was hearing much about though when I got into DMing myself, so wanted to be sure to make other new DMs aware that it's something to try.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Not familiar with FATE, but I'll check it out! The idea (for our group) came out of a session zero prior to the new party forming. We used modified Fiasco rules to set up the characters backstories, relationships, and some details about the starting location. The group seemed to really be into contributing to the world building, so I decided to try and start sneaking it into subsequent sessions. It definitely wasn't an approach I was hearing much about though when I got into DMing myself, so wanted to be sure to make other new DMs aware that it's something to try.
It's a very un-D&D technique. I'm not familiar with Fiasco just heard a snippet about it here and there, but it sounds like the session-0 stuff is similar to the couple of FATE games I've played. FATE is pretty committed to the 'collective storytelling' style of RPG.

Remove ads