The Lightbringers' Expedition to Castle Ravenloft - updated 12/19

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Just finished reading to learn how others are running this (I'm running it hear on the boards). Good stuff.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Update coming in a few minutes. Just wanted to tease you with this session's line of the week, which SADLY was too real world-jokey to make it into the story.

Thendrick said it after putting on his sunglasses and getting the band back together.

"We're on a mission from Strahd."

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Session 9 - Chapter 3
RUN FOR IT

Running at full speed up the tunnel, Gerrit and Thendrick heard the shriek of despair from Arianna echo past them. Gerrit huffed “He got to her... I can’t believe… she’s gone.”

Thendrick said “It may be temporary… We’ll see what we-“ He stopped short as he realized he should see the light of the sky outside the tunnel by now. No, there it was- something huge and dark and furred was blocking the exit. Several somethings. “Werewolves. Exit’s blocked.” With werewolves ahead and a crazed, homicidal party member bringing up the rear, things didn’t look good.

Gerrit licked his lips. “What now? There’s nowhere to go!”

Thendrick smiled. “There’s always somewhere to go, my boy.” He reached out and took hold of the halfling’s shoulder, spoke a word, and the two vanished in a blaze of violet sparkles. They reappeared in the field under the moonlight, and looked back to see the mouth of the cave swarming with werewolves. Jade lay dead. She’d fought valiantly, but lacking silver teeth, she couldn’t do enough damage to kill even one of them.

Gerrit gasped and pointed to the west side of the clearing. The black carriage was waiting. “That’s the carriage that took us to Strahd’s palace,” he said. Its red lamps lit up its patch of the field’s grass and the door opened with a squeak.

Thendrick said “What in… how did it get here? There are no roads through the forest, and I don’t think something of that size could fit between the trees.”

Gerrit shook his head, spooked, remembering his first night in Barovia. “I don’t think it needs roads.”

“Well, I’m not getting in it. Not now.” Thendrick said. “Damn… Jade’s dead again. Well, in that case I have no qualms about doing this.” He shot a fireball from his hand and it detonated amongst the werewolves. Several were engulfed in fire and howled and screamed as they died. “That thinned them out a bit… the others can take care of the rest. Here’s the plan, Gerrit. I can dimension door us three more times, getting us that much further into the woods, but it won’t even get us halfway to home.”

“What do we do then?”

“We start running.”

l_8cb59b0bf1f8084d97818e3453a2be0b.jpg

Orange light bloomed from the cave’s entrance, just ahead, and a half a dozen monsters screamed in agony. Arianna stopped and her frenzied eyes darted around her. Werewolves were just ahead, but where was Thendrick? Oh, that sly sorcerer… she’d put an arrow in his throat if he kept the book from her. She would.

“What the hell’s… going on?” Ashlyn puffed from behind.

Arianna turned, acting the part of a party member once again. “Werewolves. Gerrit and Thendrick got out, but they need our help. Toufghar, can you cut our way through them?”

“You bet I can,” the dim half-orc said with a grin. He stepped to the front and began hacking at the werewolves, who could only attack one at a time here in the tunnel. Arianna crept to the top of the tunnel and fired her bow over his head into the beasts as they fought. After about twelve minutes of hard fighting, the way was clear and every werewolf lay dead. Ashlyn wiped her blade clean and said “That was bracing. Now what was all th…” Arianna pushed by her and began running through the empty field, keeping her head low, looking for tracks.

Toufghar shrugged. “She’s rude, but she’s all business.” He started to follow her and Ashlyn put a hand on his chest.

“Wait. Did something about what just happened strike you as odd? Arianna tried to destroy the book and Thendrick resisted. They each seemed to be aware that they were acting against the other. Look, she’s drawn her bow. She’s out for blood. I say we find Thendrick and Gerrit first and get their side of the story before they’re pincushioned.”

“How do we do that?”

“We fly.” Ashlyn held up her holy symbol and closed her eyes in prayer. A bright wash of light bathed them, and when it cleared, a noble griffon stood before them. It was fitted with handmade riding gear emblazoned with the crest of Urso.

“Nice,” Toufghar said, “But we can’t both fit on that. Saddle’s too small. Dangerous.”

Ashlyn mounted up and the griffon’s wings beat the air. “I ride,” She said. “You get carried.” The half-orc’s cries of refusal did nothing to stop the griffon as it picked him up by his hide armor and began to lift into the night sky above.

Some time later Gerrit and Thendrick lurched from the Svalich Woods and rested a moment. They leaned on their knees and gasped for breath. They hadn’t heard anything following them, but they’d run until their lungs burned and stitches pinched at their sides. “Madam… Eva’s…” Thendrick gasped. “Just ahead.” So it was. The lights of the gypsy camp could be seen dimly through the trees. They began to move again.

Thendrick stopped. “Wait. Did you hear that?”

Gerrit listened. “Sounds like something’s coming. Not through the woods… through the air.”

“Damn it all,” Thendrick whispered. “I heard the townspeople speak of how Strahd could fly as an enormous bat. I really hope it’s not him.”

“There!” Gerrit pointed to the sky. A dark shape was flying, set against the gray of the cloud cover. It was shaped vaguely like a man with what could have been bat wings. It was coming right for them. Gerrit groaned.

“Gerrit, Thendrick!” Toufghar called from above. “You gotta try this, it’s really neat!” Ashlyn shushed him and the two Lightbringers joined the other two back on solid ground.

“You scared us to death,” Thendrick said, pulling his collar open rapidly.

“What in the world’s going on?” Ashyln demanded. “Arianna’s looking for you, and it looks like she’s ready to shoot you.”

“She’s under some kind of enchantment… most likely she’s bound to find the book and destroy it, and if that’s the case, it’s most likely Strahd behind the curse.”

“What? How do you know any of this?”

“I’ll explain it on the way to Madam Eva’s.”

Eva chuckled to herself as she looked at the group. “Times in Barovia, they are not so pleasant, eh? Not so peaceful.”

Thendrick shifted his weight impatiently. “Are you going to help us or not?”

“Yes, of course child. Let me see the book.”

The sorcerer demurred and cleared his throat. “I’d rather keep it in my hands, if you don’t mind.”

“Hah!” Eva slapped the table, delighted. “You learn to distrust. This is good. This will help. If I can not see the book, though… you must read to me.” She sat back and smiled.

Thendrick took out the book. Its moistened pages were slightly smeared but no less readable. He began to read softly.

I am the Ancient, I am the Land. My beginnings are lost in the darkness of the past. I was the warrior, I was good and just. I thundered across the land like the wrath of a just god, but the war years and the killing years wore down my soul as the wind wears stone into sand.

All goodness slipped from my life; I found my youth and strength gone, and all I had left was death. My army settled in the valley of Barovia and took power over the people in the name of a just god, but with none of a god’s grace or justice.

I called for my family, long unseated from their ancient thrones, and brought them here to settle in Castle Ravenloft. They came with a younger brother of mine, Sergei. He was handsome and youthful. I hated him for both.

Sergei had plucked from the families of the valley one whose spirit shone above all others: a rare beauty who was called “perfection,” “joy,” and “treasure.” Her name was Tatyana, and I longed for her to be mine.

I loved her with all my heart. I loved her for her youth. I loved her for her joy. But she spurned me! “Old one” was my name to her — “elder” and “brother” also. Her heart went to Sergei. They were betrothed. The date was set.

With words, she called me “brother,” but when I looked into her eyes, they reflected another name: “death.” It was the death of the aged that she saw in me. She loved her youth and enjoyed it, but I had squandered mine.

The death she saw in me turned her from me, and so I came to hate death, my death. My hate is very strong; I would not be called “death” so soon.

And so I made a pact with Death itself, a pact of blood. On the day of the wedding, I killed Sergei. My pact was sealed with his blood.

I found Tatyana weeping in the garden east of the chapel. She fled from me. She would not let me explain, and a great anger swelled within me. She had to understand the pact I made for her. I pursued her. Finally, in despair, she flung herself from the walls of Ravenloft, and I watched everything I ever wanted fall from my grasp forever.

The fall was a thousand feet through the mists. No trace of her was ever found. Not even I know her final fate.

Arrows from the castle guards pierced me to my soul, but I did not die. Nor did I live. I became undead, forever.

I have studied much since then. “Vampyr” is my new name. I still lust for life and youth, and I curse the living that took them from me. Even the sun is against me. I fear sun and light the most. But little else can harm me now. Even a stake through my heart does not kill me, though it holds me from movement. But the sword, that cursed sword that Sergei brought! I must dispose of that awful tool! I fear and hate it as much as the sun.

I have learned much, too, about this land of Barovia. Ancient are its ways, ancient beyond the knowledge of the simple folk of the valley. I have walked the ancient ways, secret roads linking three fanes of night, and thus I have become the Land.

Three ancient saints dwelt in this valley long before my coming, and three hidden fanes still give tribute to their memories. I visited the Swamp Fane, the Forest Fane, and the Mountain Fane, and claimed their power for my own. Thus I solidified my grasp on this dim shadow of life.

I made the fanes my own, and I have become the Land. Also I made the fane-servants my own, and they now serve me as once they served the saints of the fanes.

I have often hunted for Tatyana. I have even felt her within my grasp, yet she escapes. She taunts me! She taunts me! What will it take to bend her love to me?

I now reside far below Ravenloft. I live among the dead and sleep beneath the very stones of this hollow castle of despair. I shall seal shut the walls of the stairs that none may disturb me.

Eva stroked her cheek as she thought about this. She was silent for a very long time. Just as Toufghar was about to ask if she was all right, she spoke.

“These fanes he speaks of… so much becomes clear now. His power is tremendous. It is the land that gives him his greatest protections. You must seek to sever Strahd’s connection to the three fanes… only then will you stand a chance of ending him.”

Ashlyn said “And the first is where we’ll find the coven… the coven on the hill, yes?”

“Yesss,” Eva hissed. “You learn as well, I see. Lysaga Hill.”

“This sword he mentions. Is this the Sunsword?”

“It is.”

“What’s that?” Gerrit asked.

Ashlyn said “It’s a fabled weapon for fighting undead. I’d heard it was in this region, though it’s not my primary reason for coming. I didn’t know Strahd was associated with its creation. More importantly is the revelation of what he is.”

“Yes,” Gerrit said, thinking. “What was it? A vamb… uh…”

“A vampire,” Ashlyn finished for him as she paced slowly. “This is very, very bad.”

“Okay, but what’s a vampire?”

“A vampire, Gerrit, is the prince of the undead world. A bloodsucking fiend with the power to control the minds of men, to turn into bats and wolves and vermin at will. You can only kill one with a stake or direct sunlight… both of which Strahd seems to have found a way around.”

“So we can’t kill him.”

“Not unless we sever his connections to these fanes, it looks like.”

“Then let’s get started.”

“Wait, wait,” Toufghar said. “I can’t believe I’m going to be the voice of reason, but why? Nothing’s keeping us here. A vampilot lord is bad for the people that live in Barovia, but if they don’t like it, they can leave. It’s their problem! This guy only wants us to run around and complete menial tasks. He’s not given us a reason to kill him, and besides, the graveyard nearby is full of would-be heroes who’ve tried.”

The heroes were silent for a time, and Madam Eva spoke again. “This is moot. We haven’t much time until that decision is made for you.”

Ashlyn shook her head. “No. Enough of that. You’re very talented, but the future’s not set in stone.”

“Oh? We shall see. We have very little time until Arianna finds you here, and before you can do aught else, you will have an awkward meeting to sit through.”

“An awkward meeting? What?”

“Never mind, the future’s not set in stone as you say. For now, though, we must deal with Arianna. I will tell you what to do.”

The four Lightbringers stood on the road, not far from the crossroads, waiting. “Look,” Toufghar said, pointing to the south.

Arianna had emerged from the woods. She had a feral expression on her sweat-smeared face, which was covered with the scratches of passing branches. She stalked towards them, nocking an arrow into her bow as she did. “You. Where is the Tome?” Her voice was a rasp, low and deadly.

“Gone,” Thendrick said, spreading his hands. “Your water spell smeared all the ink and left it unreadable. It practically fell apart in my hands.”

She lowered her bow. “It’s destroyed, then?”

“Oh yes.”

She thought, lowered the bow, raised it, lowered it again. Her addict’s eyes flickered among them. “I don’t believe you.”

Ashlyn held her satchel open. “Take a look then.”

Arianna approached cautiously and looked in. She had only a moment to see that the book was not inside before Gerrit, who’d snuck around behind her, planted a hand on her back and spoke the incantation. Thendrick placed a dew-laden ash branch on her forehead and her eyes went white. She collapsed, sputtering.

“Easy ‘Anna,” Gerrit said. “Everything’s okay. You were under the control of some kind of spell. You were possessed… driven to find the book and destroy it.”

She collected herself. “By Vennia, that was awful. I could see it all happening and couldn’t stop myself. I never wanted to hurt anyone. I’m glad I didn’t. Thanks for bringing me back. Oh, I’ll tell you what kind of curse it was, it was that awful S-“

Gerrit quickly covered her mouth. “Whatever it was, it’s over now.” Her telling them Strahd was evil wouldn’t do now, not when they needed to continue to move against him without his knowing they were doing so. He was watching her, always watching, and the Lightbringers needed to play the part of the willing henchmen for the time being. Arianna saw this in Gerrit’s eyes and seemed to understand. She nodded and was silent.

She stood, brushed herself off, then stopped suddenly, staring over the group’s shoulders. They turned to look.

The black carriage stood thirty feet away. Its red lanterns lit up the mist. The door was open and the inside was empty, as before.

It seemed to wait politely.

Coming up
AN AWKWARD MEETING

Qwernt

Explorer
Wow, a controled party member who did not (yet) kill everyone else in the party? Wow, wow, wow. You are getting mellow (or you current players get along too well).

Richards

Legend
Please, Doc...it's been almost a month. Might we have more, sir? I mean, the black carriage has been waiting so politely and all....

Johnathan

Dr Midnight

Explorer
There's more coming, it's just been hard getting together to play- fall being so busy and all. We've had lots of cancellations. We're playing this coming weekend.

There's a whole session I haven't yet written up. Le sigh.

Palskane

First Post
I really love this Story Hour, and I believe it will prompt me to seek out others of yours, Doc!

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Qwernt

Explorer
No, No, No

Didn't we have this discussion? :confused: Didn't we clarify that we weren't going to allow you to get us addicted and then stop updating? :mad: Please oh Please, drop what ever you are doing that is not writing this story and get back to writing :D

(hope all is well, just wanted to let you know you are missed)

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I was just thinking this last night... I should write up the most recent one.

We still haven't played, it's been almost two months since playing. Scheduling has been a bitch. This one's teetering on the verge of just ending for lack of a day to play... which is too bad.

I'll try to bang up some story tonight if I can. And you know I'll wind up not rising to that promise.

Remove ads