The Log of Patrick Logopolis

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, I read many wonderful story hours on EN world. But of all of those stories, I saved a single one (database crashes were a thing back then too), because I felt it was so good. I saw that thread about old story hours (including Sagiro's , I recommend that one too!) and I thought maybe I should share this one again. I managed to find the story author and obtained permission to do so. Over the course of the next few weeks I will re-post this story hour, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

(The author isn't here anymore, but he did ask for the link, so if you ask questions he may return?)

I will start by sharing a prologue written by his GM at the time:

Introduction by Darren Herhold, Creator of Ermoon and DM for this campaign:

Mike Hammock, a former player in the latest Ermoon adventures took it upon himself to write a log tracking the deeds and discoveries of his character, Patrick Logopolis. Though his work started simply enough, it developed into a hugely entertaining and detailed record of our AD&D sessions from his character's perspective. Mike's effort is without question one of the greatest rewards I have ever received from my players. His story is quintessentially what RPGs are all about, and I can't tell you how pleased I am to have played a part in it.

Mike is an excellent writer, whose story masterfully accounts the adventures and discoveries of his character, a young Ionian priest named Patrick. Patrick is a priest of Prometheus who early in his career traveled north to Ailech, the home of his anscestors. As his character gained more experience, Patrick met new characters and explored foreign realms, until the sudden call of his deity to return and avenge a blasphemous transgression forced him to return. Along the way Patrick made life long friends and tragically lost a few as well.

Read and learn about Patrick's adventures. Meet his friends and companions, the druid Finis Conwill, the elven ranger Kellindel, the Hejazian wizard, Suleiman, the dwarf Blades Trueblood, and the gigantic half-man half-giant named Corwin MacBanan. Most of all, enjoy the story he tells, for it is truly an exceptional one.

Well, enough of my talk. Its time to follow Patrick in his journeys.

-Darren Herhold

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Author's note: I posted this earlier as a link to the log, but I don't think anyone read it, so I'll start posting the actual log here, divided into game sessions. Any corrections for spelling and grammar are greatly appreciated. This game took place in the original campaign setting of Ermoon. It starts out in Ailech, which is a country with Celtic/Irish culture. The writer of the log is Patrick Logopolis, a priest of Prometheus, who is from Ionia, a continent with Greek and Roman culture.

SESSION 1

May 7th, the year MC

Dearest Brethren,

Praise to the light-bringer! I trust that all is well at the temple. Hopefully my last missive reached you safely--the courier service was expensive, but had an excellent reputation for speed and reliability. My travels through Alcyone and Connaught have improved my Cimbrian somewhat, and I have decided to begin writing this log in that language. I hope that our linguists at the Academy find this interesting to translate.

I believe that Prometheus must truly be watching over me; recent events lead me to have great confidence in the success of my mission. After sending off my last bundle of notes from the town of Caer Dorben, I've traveled several days closer to Duma Faifni. The rumors I hear of the fair grow more wondrous as I get closer.

To give you some idea of what the fair must be like, consider my most recent adventure. Although it is a great pleasure to add to our faith's knowledge of the world, recording local foods and small cultural variations begins to get dull. Today, however, was a departure from the routine. It has been raining for a week now, and last night I stopped at a small town--although town may be too grand a word to describe it--called Mag Tara. I rented a room at the inn--although the leaky rooms offered little more protection from the weather than standing under a tree. Nonetheless, today's breakfast was hot and satisfying. In the common room, I met several other travelers who were also going to the fair. There were two dwarves, Blades Trueblood and Torin. I was surprised; I had heard that dwarves were gruff and rude. These two were quite civil. There was also an Elf, Taelsyn. He was a little less friendly--not rude, just quiet. He seems to enjoy placing little cylinders of paper in his mouth and setting them alight, breathing in the noxious fumes. De gustibus non est disputandum! I gather that the dwarves are warriors, and the elf is a, shall we say, "sleight of hand expert".

We all agreed that traveling together was safer and less dull than traveling alone, so we decided to set out for the fair together. We were just finishing our meal when a man, his fine clothes covered in mud, burst into the inn, and asked us for help. Of course, I volunteered to help. He told us that he was Ith, and offered us the very fair wage of 15 bp if we would help him capture some animals that had escaped when a carriage ran off the road. I was quite happy to help him for free, but the others insisted on haggling. He agreed to 22 bp each, and we set off after the first animal, a large frog (his "wee froggy").

I only have so much paper and ink, so I'll have to make my descriptions of events brief. The frog turned out to be a "blightening", a bipedal frog-like creature that emits bright flashes of light from its eyes. We chased after it with a rope, attempting to trip it. It temporarily blinded one of the dwarves and me, but we nonetheless succeeded in tying it up and placing it in a large sack. We were assisted by one of those mysterious nature worshippers, a druid named Finis Conwell, who seems to be both a late sleeper and a mumbler--he is sometimes difficult to understand. I was careful to make sure the blightening had no signs of ill treatment. Apparently the little beasts terrorize small towns, so I was not sad to see it locked up.

All of us except for Blades went after the second creature, a large "mauve" worm. It turned out to be a small purple worm--which means that it was more than six feet long, with a terrifying maw and a deadly sting. The worm had burrowed through several hills, leaving entry and exit holes, and we used these to track it. Finally, we came to a hill with no exit hole. Torin walked up to the top of it, which turned out to be a mistake, but good fortune was on his side. Just as he began to walk down, the purple worm burst through the ground, its maw tearing at the space Torin had just occupied. It then retreated back into the hill.

Through remarkable cooperation, we managed to trick the worm into burrowing up through a snare. We gently lay a rope with a circular snare (tied by Taelsyn) across the top of the hill, then threw stones into the middle of the snare. The worm seemed to sense the vibrations caused by movement, and it quickly attacked the stones, jumping straight up into the snare's loop. We tightened the snare around it, forced it out of the ground, and dragged it into its cage. We were shocked when the hill in which it had been hiding collapsed, revealing the ruins of some Klegoth Imperium structure. We decided to come back later to investigate.

Meanwhile, Blades had located the third animal, a giant turtle. I swear, never have I heard of such a huge reptile, save dragons! The merchant told us it took ten people to move! There were only five of us, but fortunately Taelsyn came up with the clever idea of luring it into its cage with some fruit and vegetables. It seemed to have a fondness for apples. The turtle had been hiding in the moat of a small fort (called a Kronog), designed to protect a herd of cattle. The keepers of the fort assisted us by providing a ramp, to get the turtle up into its cage. Apparently they were impressed, because their leader, Sedga Etair, offered to hire us to recover some stolen cattle. We told him we would think about it, and returned to the ruins.

An antechamber held a door made of metal and sturdy wood, bearing both the symbol of a broken thigh bone and an inscription. Horrible (and poorly drawn) frescoes of orcs covered the walls, and an old brazier stood beside the door. None of us can read Orcish, so we ignored the inscription and continued inside, using the brazier to push the door open. We entered what seemed to be a shrine or temple. This room was guarded by a magical statue with glowing red eyes, which caused the skeletons of eight long-dead orcs to rise up against us, and cursed anyone that entered the room with magical silence (making me unable to turn them). The sound of distant drumming and shouting could be heard as we fought against the undead, but it seemed like a memory of a battle long ended--doubtless another effect of the magical statue. To make matters worse, as soon as we cut the undead down, they rose up again! Taelsyn cleverly defeated the undead by pushing the statue forward onto its face, ending its magic spells.

From another room we heard the sound of insane murmurs and screams, and with great trepidation, we opened the door using the brazier. Inside was a glistening, two-legged creature, seemingly made of slime! It charged us and attacked savagely, but we managed to dispatch it. The dwarves seem to be fearless warriors! The room was empty and covered with slime, except for a two-foot tall copper statue depicting a very powerful orc. It has an inscription on it which, of course, we cannot read. We carry it hoping to sell it, but it makes me uncomfortable. The orc it is modeled after must have been terrible; it seems to glower at me. I will be happy when we are rid of it.

Prometheus answered my prayers several times in the ruins, and I trust that He will continue to protect me. I was careful to destroy the shrine of the hideous orc god on our way out of the ruins. We recovered several items of value, including two bloodstones, a moonstone, a necklace, rare coins, a clay jar, an iron flask filled with a metallic, earthy liquid, an elven bow, and a dwarven warhammer. Prometheus revealed that the flask and the warhammer were enchanted! We placed these items in a very sturdy chest (which required the strength of two men to open) we found in a robing room. A treasure map was hidden in a desk in an office, but it turned it out to be all but useless--there was no way to know where the places on the map were, and the place names had almost certainly changed since the map was made so long ago.

We retired to the inn in the afternoon for rest and dinner. I expect that we will return to the road again tomorrow, although I am not sure what the others will want to do. I think that I would prefer to get back on the road to Duma Faifni, but I will go along with what the others decide. Imagine what the fair must be like; this merchant was only one among thousands! I wonder what other strange creatures and sights will be there.
I have used much paper today. I will have to be more conservative in the future. Still, a day like this deserves extra attention, does it not?

Aside from the today's excitement, there is little to report on. Apple trees are common here, and there is a slightly different accent to the speech, but it is much like the other parts of this land, of which I have already told you. The people are hardy but good-natured. I feel comfortable, despite the weather. I hope the rest of the journey goes as well. It is an auspicious beginning to a new chapter in my journey!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Author's note: Here's session 2. A note first: Patrick's mother was a Cimbrian, and his father an Ionian, which explains 1) why he's traveling in this part of the world (his mother is from this area) and 2) why his first name is Patrick.

SESSION 2

May 8th
Today we took our leave of Mag Tara, and headed out under sunnier skies. We walked northwest along the muddy road, with the Leiban Forest on our right, and rolling hills on our left. There are many large boulders lying about, as if dropped randomly by some careless giant. I've been told that glaciers, huge sheets of moving ice, come through the area every few thousand years, carrying the large rocks with them. When they melt, the rocks are left behind. Fortunately, we could do all the sightseeing we wanted, as our day passed uneventfully.

That night, however, during my watch, I heard voices on the road. I awoke the others, and we hid behind the large boulder on which I had been keeping my watch. Taelsyn's keen ears told us that they were orcs, and that set Blades' blood boiling. He apparently has a special hatred for orcs. However, since we were all tired, and reluctant to fight the orcs at night (when they would have an advantage over those of us without superior night vision), Blades acquiesced, and we agreed to investigate in the daylight. It is now the end of my shift on the watch, so I am off to bed.

May 9th
This day started well, but ended in terrible violence. I thank Prometheus for seeing me through the danger! Finis the druid awoke us by singing a "song to the sun". The roads are improving somewhat, and although slowed by the dwarves' pace, I made some basic calculations and determined that we could, if we wished, catch up with the orcs before the sun set. We followed their tracks quite easily.
Around lunchtime we passed a pair of large statues. One was of a large winged reptile (I assume that it was a dragon), and the other of a warrior woman. There were no inscriptions or anything else to indicate why they were there. We ate lunch there, and went on our way.

This evening we had our most terrifying encounter yet. We continued to follow the orc tracks until they led into the woods. We deduced that, since there was little daylight left, we should investigate before they resumed their march. Taelsyn volunteered to sneak into the woods and have a look around. Apparently his sneaking was not as successful as he had hoped, because we soon heard an orc cry out in surprise. He was answered by the cries of the other orcs, and we realized that Taelsyn was probably in trouble. Finis and I rushed ahead, while the dwarves did their best to keep up. We found Taelsyn under attack by a single orc, with somewhere between five and seven more charging towards him (we eventually determined that there were six, but we all swore that we had counted eight before the fight--did some escape without our notice?).

Finis called to nature for assistance, and the very trees and grass shot up to entangle the orcs (and Taelsyn as well). Some evaded the branches, however, and a protracted battle ensued. Although I know that orcs are foul, evil beings, I still do not enjoy killing them. Blades and Torin, on the other hand, seem to revel in it; I must admit, they are very good at it. We overcame the orcs, although we suffered several injuries. We searched them, and found some money and a few small trinkets. Torin took one of their battle axes to replace his own, which was damaged when he accidentally hit Blades with it. After tending to our wounds, we lay down for the night. I am ending my watch now. Thank Prometheus for another day passed safely!

May 10th
What a wonderful day! We started off under slightly gray skies, but it did not rain. We had not seen any people since first spotting the orcs, but today we encountered some Ailechians tending their cattle herd. Finis and I asked them some questions about the area. They didn't seem to know much about the pair of statues, other than that one was a dragon, and one was named Brianna, although they weren't very clear about which one. They did tell us a little about local customs. They apparently value cattle above all else here, and use it as a money (both for exchange and as a measure of wealth). As the man said "If you don't want to make a man angry, don't mess with his cattle". They had heard of an increase in orc activity lately, but had not heard of the group we defeated. They seemed mostly interested in talking about cattle. I paid them for their trouble (with coin--not cattle!), and we took our leave.

This afternoon we heard shouting from the hills to the left of the road. It sounded like men, and one cry sounded like a man in pain. As quickly as we could, we charged forward to lend our assistance if it was necessary. We arrived in time to see a giant insect kill a man with a spray of vile acid, and another insect started to burrow out of the ground behind them! I shouted a warning to them. Finis and I ran to cover their rear, while Taelsyn started filling the insects with arrows, and the dwarves waddled towards the fight. Finis and I did little to hurt them, but when the dwarves got there, the insects did not last long. They carved them up easily, and although the local men had lost two of their number, they were ecstatic and very thankful.

Their leader, Erik, told us that they were the Ath Emain, and that the creatures we had been fighting were called Lomcor. The Lomcor prey on the cattle this time of year, and the men go out to kill as many as possible. They would have been in serious trouble had we not come along, so they made us their guests of honor at a feast. We retired to their fortified dwelling, and ate a splendid meal of roasted hog. The tales of our valor grew more and more exaggerated, but the dwarves did not seem to mind.

Several of us noted that there were no women present--not even serving or cooking the food! In fact, we had not seen women anywhere for many, many days. We asked the Ath Emain about this, and they told us that the women were in a separate dwelling not far away. I could not tell if they have strict segregation of the sexes, or if it was only for tonight's celebration. They seemed somewhat confused by our questions. We did not wish to offend them, so we did not inquire further. They did, however, volunteer the information that the town of Bennan was just two days journey up the road.
This happy evening passed far too quickly, and we lay down for what is sure to be a peaceful sleep.

May 11th
Today was the best kind of traveling day: uneventful. After restocking our provisions from the supplies of the Ath Emain, we resumed our journey. The terrain and weather remain unchanged. Our travel is slowed somewhat by Torin, who must stop frequently to empty his bladder. I'm ending my shift on the watch. I hope the rest of our journey to Duma Faifni is this dull.

May 11
Today's travel was again safe, although I feared a fight when a group of well-dressed men on horseback passed us by. They did not return our greetings, or even look at us. Is there any excuse for such rudeness? Their armor bears a symbol: an anvil and a sword.

We reached Bennan that night. Civilization, at last! Bennan is big enough to have a halfling district (called Binghamton), wealthy enough to have cobblestone streets, and important enough to have a castle! We took a brief tour, looking for an Inn. We noticed we were being followed, but soon discovered that the man following us sought our assistance. His name was Vlad Silverpool, and he had a letter that was written in Elvish. He wanted Taelsyn to translate. We went into a tavern (unarmed--they took our weapons at the door), and stood at a quiet section of the bar. Taelsyn translated the letter (and was careful not to set it alight with his "pipe-weed sticks"), which was apparently intercepted by Vladamir's men. It was a letter from an assassin to his employer, promising that the Baroness Emain (of Dun Coba) would not complete her journey successfully.

Vladamir was most distressed. He asked if we would help, and travel with him to warn the Baroness. I volunteered, of course, but the others would not help without some kind of recompense. After some brief haggling, Vladamir went to get horses and a wagon (he was quite irritated that the dwarves and I couldn't ride). While we were waiting for his return, some local ruffians picked a fight with the dwarves. It was a long, rough, pointless fight (one I eventually chose to avoid, through Prometheus' provision of a sanctuary), which the dwarves won.

We finally set out for Dun Coba, but we were soon stopped by a mighty Ogre and his orc companions! Vladamir pulled out a sword that burned with a magical fire, and we were very impressed. Then the Ogre quite handily threw him thirty feet through the air, and we weren't so impressed any more. The dwarves managed to take down the Ogre, and most of the orcs, with the rest of us pitching in as we could. We discovered that Taelsyn is not just a "scout"; he is also a magician. He cast a spell that allowed him to jump far away from the battle and fire his arrows from safety. I was grievously injured by an orc, but Prometheus quickly and completely healed my wounds--All Praise!

After defeating these terrible creatures, we have stopped to recover our wits and tend our wounds. We will set out again soon, and because it is nearly midnight, this is all I will write for today. We are fortunate to be alive.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
That is it for now! I will continue posting in small batches. There is a total of 28 sessions so it's not an enormous read. Cheers,

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Author's note: You may have noticed that there's a typo on the dates; specifically, there are two May 11th's. So every date needs to be advanced by one. I'll try to fix that later.

May 12

After traveling a short distance down the road, we realized that, in our weariness, we had forgotten to search the ogre and orcs. We decided to split up, with Finis and Taelsyn (who both travel much faster on horseback than we do in our wagon) going back to fetch whatever junk the orcs happened to be carrying, and Vladamir scouting ahead to warn us of danger. Vlad has a map, a copy of which I enclose. We decided not to follow the road to Dun Coba, instead cutting straight north from Bennan, crossing the road once, in order to shorten the journey. Splitting up was a good idea, or at least, it sounded like a good idea at the time.

Finis and Taelsyn retrieved some items with no trouble, and Vlad encountered nothing unusual. Torin, Blades, and I were not so lucky. As we were riding along, Blades noticed something burrowing towards us. Torin tried to spur the horses on, but instead crashed the cart off the road. Before we could react, a Lomcor burst out of the ground. Having no choice, we fought a terrible fight against the creature. Although we won, Torin was grievously wounded. I did what I could, but we had to use up the goo from the clay jar (which turned out to have impressive healing properties).

Taelsyn and Finis caught up with us, bringing a few tokens. One item interested me: they had a thick sheet of copper, with a spell inscribed on it! Why anyone would choose such an inconvenient substance, I can't imagine. Enchanted scroll paper is durable enough! I determined that it was a spell to ward off evil--not from one person, but from a 10 foot radius! The creator of the scroll must have been powerful indeed. I kept it, hoping I would not have to use it.

By lunch time, we had come to the road again, after crossing the rolling hills so common in this region. After a quick meal, we were soon on our way again, and we made excellent time. We stopped for the night after some peaceful riding, and I carefully copied Vlad's map. I just noticed that I have taken to calling Vladamir "Vlad". I suppose we are all getting used to having him around, although he doesn't seem very interested in making conversation.

May 13

This morning I examined a vial that Taelsyn and Finis found on the orcs yesterday. It has a crack in it, and the slightly blue liquid, which smells of both alcohol and mint, is slowly leaking. I cleaned out the jar that had held the healing goo, and transferred the liquid to the jar. I have no idea what it does. Sometimes Prometheus withholds knowledge from us, because we may learn much about one thing, while trying to pursue knowledge of another. After all, I came here hoping to learn about the culture and customs of this land, but I have had the unexpected boon of learning about the ways of dwarves and elves as well. Is it not amazing how Prometheus leads us to knowledge, and we do not notice?

After traveling a short distance, Vlad came running back, entreating us to be quiet. He said that he had spotted a group of at least forty orcs in the woods! We very carefully and quietly sneaked by them (Blades did not grumble so much this time).

When we came upon the road again, we soon started seeing people, of increasing frequency and variety. At first there were just shepherds, but soon we saw merchants and farmers. The merchants were of every imaginable race. I wonder if this town of Dun Coba is always this busy, or if the crowds are just stopping by on their way to the fair at Duma Faifni.

Much to our distress, Vlad determined that the Baroness Emain had already departed for Duma Faifni. Vlad suggested that we get fresh, faster horses and get underway quickly. We agreed, and found a place to meet later (Vlad hurried off to trade in our old horses and purchase new ones). After some discussion, we decided that, because horses are so outrageously expensive here, we should be prepared to help Vlad pay for horses; he could always pay us back when we had warned the Baroness (assuming some kind of reward would be forthcoming).

Unfortunately, our funds were not very liquid, being contained in various valuable items and little actual coin. So we set out to find a jeweler, as well as collect the bounty for the orcs we had killed.

We found a dwarf (who worked for a Cymbrian named Ossam) that seemed very interested in the orcish artifacts. We sold him that horrid statue, as well as 35 silver Klegoth coins, and a few other less interesting items we had picked up along the way. He asked us to bring any similar items we find directly to him. We agreed, and asked him for the name of a reputable jeweler or gemologist. He recommended one, and we had soon sold our gems, as well as collected the bounty for the orcs. We had so much money that we had to convert our bronze into gold! I hope that there is enough in my share to send another missive back to you.

Back at our rendezvous point, we found that Vlad had purchased several fine horses. We set out on the road, with Dun Coba at our backs, as quickly as possible. I am becoming used to the constant stopping and starting that "adventuring" seems to require. Indeed, I've noticed that we have all been sharpening our skills since we started traveling together. My frail body can now channel more of Prometheus' light than when I set out; I hope that I am worthy of his gifts!

All along the road were inns and taverns. After passing what we guessed to be the last one before the land became wild again, we stopped to camp. Taelsyn and Torin (what an odd pair!) walked back down the road a short distance to have a look at the last tavern we passed. They later told us that it had been filled with dwarves. I think it did Torin good to be with many of his own kind for a while. It will do me good to get some rest, so I now end today's writings.

May 14th

You may find it difficult to believe the events of which I am about to tell you, but I swear to you that I do not lie. I can scarcely believe it myself. As you can tell from my handwriting, my hands are still shaking.

This morning was no different from any other so far. We traveled without incident until the afternoon, when Vlad came back to tell us that he had learned of the location of the Baroness. She had stopped for the night at the keep of the Linden Tuatha, a local clan. The Linden tree is the symbol of the clan, but the clan has become weak as the Linden trees were slowly cut down or died off. Of course, we got there as quickly as we could. It started raining again, and it was night when we arrived at the gates of the small castle. We told Vlad to do the talking, since this was his idea. He seemed a little uncomfortable with that, but shouted for a guard anyway. He attempted to explain our situation, but seemed to be confusing the guard, so Taelsyn and I took over. The guard was concerned, and called for someone else. Soon a very portly man (apparently a priest of Dagda) waddled up and told us that everything was under control, and that the Baroness was in no danger. We pointed out to him that he had posted only two guards on the castle walls. He scoffed at us, and took his leave.

Not sure what to do, we walked down the hill away from the castle. After some discussion, we decided that it would be wise for Taelsyn and Vlad (being our most stealthy party members) to sneak into the fortress and look around. I felt a little guilty about trespassing on their property, but a life was at stake! They scaled the castle wall with little difficulty. Some time later, they came back and said that the place was virtually unguarded. They had hung rope down the castle wall, and we all climbed up the wall, turned the rope to the other side, and climbed down into the courtyard, behind the stables. Again we sent Taelsyn and Vlad to scout ahead. They sneaked through a back door, into the center keep (there was both an outer keep and a smaller, inner keep). Again they came back, saying that there were no guards until the second floor. We guessed that they had probably at least taken the minor precaution of housing the baroness on the second floor or in a tower, and so we walked up the stairs. The only guard that Taelsyn had seen had left his post to move farther down the hallway. Unsure whether to charge him or use stealth, I suggested that I cloak Taelsyn in False Knowledge--a sanctuary spell. It would give us a little more time to look around before being forced to fight our way in. Prometheus must have been watching over me closely tonight, for the spell worked perfectly. Taelsyn walked right past the guard, who even stepped aside to give him more room to pass!

We then heard the sound of a door opening, followed by Taelsyn wheezing "Gas!", and the sound of something hitting the floor. Deciding that Taelsyn was the something, Finis and I charged down the corridor, either to his rescue or our doom. Strangely, the dwarves were much more cautious, and only followed us after pondering other options for a moment.

I realize that I am going into more detail about events than I normally do, but I think that you will understand why I am so verbose when I finish my story. Bear with me!

The guard thought he was ready for me, but much to his surprise (and my own, I must admit), I struck him with my flail with such force that he staggered to the side, unable to react at all. I ran by him, hoping that Finis would deal with him. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw an open door to the right, with only Taelsyn's feet visible in the doorway (he was obviously lying in the doorway where he fell). I could not attend to him, however, because I was confronted with another guard. I held him off long enough for Vlad and the dwarves to catch up. The dwarves quickly dispatched the guard I had struck, and turned to deal with the second. I turned to the doorway, and saw inside a terrible creature. It looked like a nobleman, but with very pale skin. He leaned over a woman, whom I took to be the Baroness. Her arm he held over the edge of the bed, draining blood from it into a bottle. I realized immediately that this must be an undead--probably a vampire! Horresco referens! I raised my ring, and ordered the fiend to begone, but he only laughed at me. I am afraid that I am too weak a vessel to channel more than the smallest amount of Prometheus' power.

Vlad and Finis stood in the doorway with me. Vlad raised his flaming sword, and opened his right hand, in which he held a brightly glowing stone--a rock with continual light cast upon it. Finis took a deep breath, and charged bravely into the room, running straight for the Baroness. I followed him in. The vampire recoiled from the light for a moment, and Finis took the opportunity to sweep the Baroness into his arms. I cast a healing spell upon her, and we turned for the door. I could hear the sounds of combat continuing outside. The Vampire had turned again towards the doorway, and was fixing his stare upon Vlad--but he was not just looking at Vlad. It was something more. I hoped it was not a curse or charm of some kind. I have heard that vampires have such powers.

Realizing that we could do nothing to hurt such a creature, Finis used some of his precious breath (there was still gas in the air!) to say "protection from evil". For a moment I prepared to cast the spell upon the Baroness, hoping to at least keep the Vampire off of her, even if it killed the rest of us. Then I remembered--that ridiculous copper scroll! I grabbed it from my pack as quickly as possible, ripping the leather a little. Reading from the scroll was very easy, and fast. As I read the scroll, I felt the familiar sensation of magic flowing, but I could swear that I felt Prometheus' power adding to it. Perhaps it was just me, but I think he was actively helping us. In any case, the spell worked, and I immediately felt some relief from the oppressive evil that emanated from the vampire. The vampire cursed something I couldn't understand, then laughed. Torin charged in to guard our escape. We made it safely to the doorway, and then turned to help Blades, who was still fighting the second guard.

After subduing the guard, and tending to our wounded, we turned again to the vampire--only to find that he had disappeared. The poison gas had mostly dissipated. There were three servants lying on the ground around the bed, and we checked their condition. Fortunately, they had only been overcome by the gas, and not injured. The effect of the gas seemed to be temporary, and we managed to stir Taelsyn. He immediately noticed a passageway in the wall, with a skeleton wedged in it. Apparently the vampire had turned into a mist and floated into the room via this secret tunnel.

I will now return to being brief, as I have finished with the exciting part of the story. The sub-chief of the keep burst in, and we told him what happened. He was not happy, and had the whole keep up in arms in a moment. The priests of Dagda were awakened, and they came to tend the wounded. We were thanked several times, and the sub-chief seemed so impressed with our story that he wanted to hear it over and over again. The Baroness is now sleeping soundly, and it is unlikely that she will wake until tomorrow.

Taelsyn searched the skeleton in the crawl space, and found from a journal that it was a thief who had taken some coins from somewhere in the keep. He also had a magic rod, which projected various lighting effects. The coins (gold coins) were apparently poisoned, and Taelsyn was affected by them as well. A priest quickly neutralized the poison, however.

Speaking of priests, Barnrick, the fat priest that ignored our warning, is surely in for a serious dressing down when the chief of the castle returns. Why am I not surprised that the priests of other gods are more interested in food and personal comfort than in the well-being of other sentient creatures? Prometheus has set an example of how to care for our fellow beings; it is frustrating to see others so unaware of His sacrifice. While the portly priest snored in his bed, we narrowly averted a great disaster. How much easier would it have been if he had only listened to us! Perhaps Prometheus withholds knowledge from him for a reason.

We are staying in the castle tonight as honored guests. We will finally get some well-deserved rest, before resuming our journey. One thing puzzles me: In the journal of the skeletal thief was a riddle of some sort, suggesting that when the sun is right, the way to the treasure will be revealed on the Linden tree. We are not sure what this means. One of the rooms in this castle has a magnificent bronze and wood door, depicting a mighty Linden tree. I suggested that at a certain time of day, the sun may shine upon the door in such a way to reveal a secret passage. According to the sub chief, there was a treasure lost in the castle somewhere centuries ago (the "Linden treasure"). Perhaps we will investigate this tomorrow.

Now, I must rest. For once, I will not have to ask Prometheus for help or knowledge; I know that I will sleep very well tonight.

Thanks for posting all this! I don't think anyone will have any questions, but I will check in from time to time to make sure. It's been a long time since I wrote all this, and my memory is foggy about the details now. I'm working on a new actual-play D&D podcast at the moment. I'll post something about it when I have more details.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
author's note, in reply to a comment in 2001: I'm glad you like the story. I can say with certainty that this is the best game in which I have ever participated.
Here is the next session:

SESSION 4

May 15th
It has been a busy (and troubling) day! We woke early and began to explore the castle, both out of curiosity, and because we hoped to find the secret entrance that would lead us to the treasure. The sub-chief has told us that if we recover the treasure, his people will again prosper. After examining it carefully, we determined that the door with the Linden tree on it was not the entrance. Blades and Torin found a secret passage from the kitchen to the throne room, but that didn't help much.

We met the Baroness in the afternoon. She thanked us for rescuing her, and rewarded us with twenty gold coins each! Surely I now have enough money to send a message from Duma Faifni. I must admit that I feel slightly overpaid. We were really just lucky (or we had some divine help--in either case, we really did not do very much). I suggested that we accompany the Baroness to Duma Faifni; everyone agreed, except Vlad. Vlad said that he must return to Dun Coba to rejoin his adventuring group, the "Lords of Telgar". He set out that afternoon.

After searching the castle some more, we found a stained glass window on a wall, looking onto a statue of a woman pouring water into a fountain. The window portrayed a Linden tree and the sun shining down on it. Unfortunately, the window had been bricked over on the outside, so that no sunlight could come in. After some searching and a few calculations, I decided to cast light on the bricks behind the glass. We immediately noticed that the shadow of the tree fell on the statue, and the words "press my eyes" became immediately visible on it. We pressed the eyes of the statue, and a stone panel in the floor slid open, revealing a spiral stair. After notifying the sub-chief, who provided us with a quick meal and wished us well, we lighted torches, and carefully descended.

I will spare you all the details of our underground adventure and begin summarizing. At the bottom was a room whose walls were hung with ancient tapestries depicting the history of the Linden Tuatha. We solved a riddle on one, which led us to a button. A secret passage opened when we pressed it, but we found that the stairway was now blocked behind us. There was also a door in the tapestry room with a sign that said "This way to the treasure". Of course, we ignored that door.

Pressing on, we went down the secret passage into a room lit by two glowing globes and filled with plants of all kinds. Several inches of water sat covered the floor. Here we were attacked by a vile Yellow Musk Creeper--a giant plant with aggressive, poisonous flowers--and its bullywug zombies. After fending off the plant for a while, Blades, Torin, and myself all fell under the plant's enchantment. Unfortunately, the plant had Blades in its clutches for several minutes before Finis and Taelsyn managed to finish off the zombies and rescue us. Blades has obviously suffered a serious head injury from the vines that burrowed into his skull; we have to speak quite slowly to make him understand simple concepts. Hopefully we can find some means to restore his mental faculties. For now, he seems as effective at combat as ever.

After recovering from the battle, we found a room filled with bird cages and, of all things, a fully stocked bar. A door in that room opened onto three Needlemen (creatures used by druids to guard important things--I wish we had known that at the time). We defeated the gaunt humanoids and found a druidic staff of some kind, which Finis took.

We passed through the plant room again, and entered a passage on the other side. It was lined with statues, whose faces had been, well, defaced. As we reached the end of the passage we saw ahead a large room. The entrance was blocked by two large bipedal toads, and more than a dozen bullywugs. They jumped up and down and croaked a lot, but didn't seem openly hostile. I wanted to try a way to get by them peacefully, but couldn't think of one. We thought about getting the dead flowers of the Yellow Musk Creeper, and using them to frighten off the amphibians. They jumped up and down a lot when we brought them up, but didn't seem like they were about to leave. I should have protested more, or come up with a better idea, because we then proceeded to slaughter them. Taelsyn shot an arrow at them, and they jumped down the corridor at us, dying as Torin and Blades cut them down. After killing at least a dozen of them, the remaining bullywugs ran. I admit, I was caught up in the excitement of battle, and I am ashamed at having resorted to violence after such a feeble attempt at a non-violent solution. After all, they were just defending what they had, probably for centuries, considered their home. I hope that I can atone for my error. I worry that traveling with this group is tempting me to give in to simple, darker solutions to problems.

We entered the room, and saw a large crack in the wall, into which the bullywugs had escaped. A large, empty Lomcor carapace lay on the floor; apparently it had dug the passageway and died down here. There was one door in the room, and we solved the riddle on it, pronouncing the word "tree".

The door opened onto an incredible horde of treasure. We looked it over, and some of us took things. This upset me somewhat; after all, none of this was ours. If we were to have a reward, it would be given by the laird, not ourselves. I said something to this effect, suggesting that we should leave it here, or at least give it back as soon as we got out of here. Their reaction shocked me; several of them said that if we never told the laird what we found, he would never miss the things we took. They were suggesting that we steal! Deeply offended, I said "You will have to kill me to keep me from telling the sub-chief what we have found, and what you have taken." I was even more shocked when they looked at each other thoughtfully, as if they were actually considering how much trouble it would be to kill me! I could not believe it. Do they see me as nothing more than a dispenser of healing magic? Have they no sense of right or wrong? This deeply troubles me; I cannot continue traveling with a group that sees me as a tool to be cast aside when it becomes too inconvenient to deal with. Blades, however, cannot be held responsible for his actions, considering his current condition. I will have to think and pray further on this subject.

We returned to the tapestry room, and tried pressing the button again. Fortunately, the secret passage closed and the stairway was again passable. The sub-chief and his men came charging down the stairs, thinking that we might need rescuing. He was elated to see us, and we told him of the treasure. I told him of the items that had been taken. He said that we would arrange our reward later. The doorway labeled "this way to the treasure" turned out to lead to a chest of poisoned, gold-plated (basically worthless) coins and a skeleton.

The sub-chief insisted that we stay until the laird of the keep returns in four days. We agreed, although I regret being unable to accompany the Baroness to Duma Faifni. Finis gave what is, in my opinion, the most important part of the treasure to the sub-chief: a bag full of Linden tree seeds. This small tribe will surely return to greatness now.

Our wounds were tended, and we returned to our room for rest. I could not sleep, and have spent much of the night traveling the grounds in thought and prayer. I will now try to get at least a little sleep. I have much thinking to do tomorrow.

May 16th and 17th
I have spent the past two days alone in quiet reflection. I am still unsure of what to do. I do not think the others have noticed my absence yet. I wish that I had another follower of the flame to speak with. Nothing of note has happened.

May 18th
I have come to the following conclusion: Tomorrow, I will pack my things, prepare to leave, sanctify a small room of the castle, and spend the day in prayer. By the end of the day, I will try to determine the will of Prometheus with an augury spell. I intend to ask "will I do well if I leave this group to travel alone to Duma Faifni?" The vague wording required by the spell means that a "Yes" answer could mean many things--it could mean that I will succeed in getting to Duma Faifni, or that I will make a lot of money along the way. Unfortunately, neither of those necessarily implies that I am pleasing Prometheus. On the other hand, a "No" answer suggests to me a clearer answer: stick with this group. Ultimately, the spell cannot decide for me; the decision is mine alone. Prometheus grant me the wisdom to make the correct decision.

May 19th
Laird Dolfdin arrived today, with his escort and a powerful wizard. The wizard identified our various magical items for us. Then, much to the pleasure of the others in our group, Laird Dolfdin offered us each a magical item from the treasure. He let Finis keep the druid staff, as Dolfdin would have no use for it (the druids are almost completely gone from these parts) and have another pick of the treasure as well. He also allowed Taelsyn to keep a spellbook that I found in a pool of water by the treasure room, as well as have another choice. I chose a candle that increases the amount of divine power that I can channel. I may use it later today when I cast the augury spell (it is only large enough to burn for about two hours, so I may want to conserve it for emergencies).

However, in order to have our pick of the items, we agreed to carry a chest of the treasure to the keep (apparently the Linden Tuatha had been guarding this other tribe's treasure for them) of Kraty's Freehold. If I decide to leave the group, I will simply return the candle to Dolfdin and be on my way.

I return now to my prayers. I will write more later today, after I have made my decision.

It is now evening. I received no response to the augury. I considered leaving, but when we all realized that Vlad hadn't returned to say goodbye (he left days ago to sell the horses, saying he would immediately return), I decided that I should at least try to find out what happened to him. And if I'm going to go that far, I may as well stay with the group--for now.

We left the keep in the early evening, going into the small town nearby. We've found out that Vlad was here, with someone. We'll look into it more in the morning. Tonight, we stay in an inn.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
SESSION 5

May 20th
After visiting a horse merchant, we found that Vlad had sold the horses and departed with someone named Maril, apparently willingly. We guessed that something must have come up, and trusted Vlad's judgement and ability to take care of himself. A sturdy dwarven pony caught our eyes; in need of a pack animal, we purchased it.

Setting out for Kraty's Freehold, we began a day of uneventful travel. By afternoon we had reached the town of O'Mara, arranged around a large stone church of O'Mara. Apparently, they were having some kind of spring festival--a sort of warm-up for the fair at Duma Faifni, perhaps. There was dancing and joyous singing; a smile was on every face. Merchants and people of all kinds were there, and I was surprised when one spoke to me in fairly good Ionian! Apparently, Ionian merchants, like my father, are not uncommon here. We chatted for a while. The festivities seemed to be centered on something happening in the church, but I did not enter because entrance required paying a fee--and I did not want to have our church's money supporting other misguided religions.
We went on our way, leaving town. By dusk we came upon a roadside Inn. The room rates were outrageous, so we sleep outside tonight.

May 21st
Our morning travels were uneventful, except for an encounter with some cheerful merchants, who sold Finis some boots. My sandals are dirty and worn, but I do not think I could easily become accustomed to boots. The sandals will do.

In the afternoon we passed some very heavily armored men on horseback. Their hearty (and polite) greeting warmed my heart--I recalled the snobbish behavior displayed many days ago by the other riders we met on the road. It is good to meet friendly folk.

At dusk we camped by a large statue, very similar to the one we encountered when we first began our traveling together. This one depicted the same woman and dragon, but the woman rode on the dragon's back. Together they fought a giant and a three headed reptile. Torin decided that the statues were the work of dwarves, and were probably enchanted (the dragon's wings seemed impossibly huge; normal stone would have cracked and fallen apart long ago under the stress). Many other groups have camped here, judging by the garbage and other signs they left. I anticipate a restful sleep.

May 22nd
The wind picked up today, blowing from the west. When the road split, we took the western path. The landscape has become more desolate; trees are sparse. The land is hilly, with the same kinds of boulders strewn about, but otherwise incredibly featureless. We have seen no one all day long. Even animals are seen less frequently. We have stopped by the long, winding road to camp. I now wake up Finis for his watch.

May 23rd
The land is depressing in its bleakness. The day was totally uneventful. We are running out of travelling stories to tell each other, and the silences sometimes become awkward. We are nonetheless making good time, although Torin's small bladder continues to slow our pace. He reminds me of an animal marking its territory.
In the evening we stopped by a stream to camp. A most curious encounter then occured; a smaller-than-average dwarf was passing near our camp, carrying a huge block of stone on his back. It easily weighed a ton, possibly even two. We offered to let him camp with us, but he declined; he simply wanted a drink. Taelsyn grudgingly offered him some of the fine liquor he had discovered beneath the Linden Tuatha keep. The dwarf gruffly said his thanks (crushing my drinking cup before handing it back to me), and went on his way. What an odd fellow.

May 24th
The only event of note today was the crossing of a rickety bridge. We all made it across without incident, although I was quite worried that the weight of the pony would cause it to collapse. We did not make a fire tonight, for fear of attracting whatever creature might see the light. We would certainly be the only source of light for miles around.

May 25th
Days like today make me wonder why I ever left the temple.

Today the winds stopped blowing from the West and started blowing from the North. As the morning went on, the wind became stronger and stronger until, by lunch-time, it was strong enough to slow our forward motion. Twigs and small stones blowing in the wind batter us as we march persistently forward. Oddly, most of them seem to strike Torin.

In the early afternoon, we were attacked by a most unusual creature. It had the head of man, but a lion's body, bat wings, and a long tail with spikes on the tip. It roared at us, then jumped into the air, taking advantage of the gale-force winds, and almost instantly it was in our midst. It was a terrible fight, but the Dwarves gave it quite a beating. I tried out one of the spells I only recently acquired the ability to cast--a flame blade. It is quite effective.

The wind had died down somewhat by the time we made camp. While setting up the camp, a loud roaring noise echoed through the area, filling Taelsyn, Finis, and myself with a supernatural fear. I do not remember exactly what happened, but I have managed to piece together the night's events from the stories of the others. Taelsyn, Finis, and I ran off from the camp, Finis and I in one direction, and Taelsyn in another. The dwarves and the pony were left behind. When the fear wore off, Finis and I found our way back with the aid of a light spell. We returned to the camp to find the dwarves and the pony gone. I started a fire to aid Taelsyn's return to camp, while Finis tried to follow the tracks of the dwarves with the light spell. I soon heard him call for me, and we found Torin and Blades chasing some orcs. The orcs had shot several arrows into Torin, but the dwarves had exacted some revenge. Blades went down, but Torin and Finis managed to finish them off before I even got there.

I returned to the camp, and checked up on the pony. While stoking the fire, I was surprised by a voice behind me. It sounded like Taelsyn, but at the same time, it was different. I turned around, and it was indeed Taelsyn, but something was wrong. He did not know me; he had never even heard of Ionia. I quickly surmised that Taelsyn was possessed by a ghost, albeit a polite one. He said that he was Palimor Raven of the Fitzgerald Tuatha. I explained who we were, and where we were going. He was extremely upset when I told him that we had a druid in the party. He said that he was killed by a druid over 200 years ago, in this area. I tried to tell him that Finis was not so bad, although he remained skeptical. He does seem to trust me. In any case, we have again altered our path. I am glad that Palimor explained his situation to me before the rest of the group returned; I think the others would not have acted so peaceably towards him. They seemed to be willing to follow my advice.

In any case, we have again altered our path. Palimor says that his love, Esmerelda, awaits him in the keep of the Fitzgerald Tuatha, which is called Morningstar. He did not seem concerned that over 200 years had passed since he had last seen her. We are now headed northeast, I think. It is becoming difficult to keep track of where we are on Vlad's map.

It is very late now, and we must rest for the night, no matter how much Palimor wants to press on. I think he has a good heart, but, by the heavenly flame, he is stubborn!

May 26th
This uneventful day was spent in conversation with Palimor. Poor Finis hangs toward the back of the party, to stay out of Palimor's way. I'm acting as something of a messenger between the two. Finis tells me what he wants to know, and I try to work his questions into conversation with Palimor.

I've found out a great deal about the history of Ailech. It is sometimes difficult to understand Palimor because of the archaic form of Cimbrian he uses, but I have found that he was an elven soldier in the employ of what eventually became Midhe. At the time it was merely the nothern part of Great Kingdom. Palimor battled the forces of Maleconia in the late 600's and early 700's, along with other elves, humans, and Wolfen. However, the Letgur Empire attacked the Maleconian Empire in 735. The emperor of the Maleconian Empire, Ivantosk the Boldhammer, sued for peace. Maleconia gave up is claim to the areas now called Jyvaskyla, Hibernia, and Verdheim. Palimor believes that these conflicts, and the division of territories, helped bring about the end of the Great Kingdom.

That is enough history for today. It is difficult to converse with Palimor; he is very distracted. Reaching Morningstar is the only thing he thinks about clearly.

May 27th
The amazing pace that we are keeping is taking a toll on all of us, except Palimor. We have traveled straight and quickly. We came upon a wide stream in the afternoon. While attempting to find a way across, Torin was attacked by a gigantic frog. Torin killed it, but not before it managed to get the tip of its sticky tongue stuck to Torin's chest. We barely managed to keep him from floating off downstream with the frog carcass. Eventually, we bridged the stream by laying fallen trees across it.

While encamped, we spotted a giant walking through the trees in the distance. He didn't see us, and we weren't about to point ourselves out to him (despite Blade's protests).

I managed to get more information from Palimor today. Apparently, the peace agreement caused even more problems. After the orcish Klegoth Imperium was destroyed, there was no one left to fight (fighting the Eternal Kingdom of the Elves of Valestri would be folly). The people of the Great Kingdom were trying to absorb the new land and people. This caused conflict between tuathas. Their obsession with tribal honor, the tendency toward violence that the wars had bred into them, turned disagreements over land rights into small wars. Only the Druids of Condatis and some other priesthoods stayed out of the fighting.

Palimor is intimately familiar with all of these conflicts, and he must have recounted every last one of them. My head is swimming with names and places, victors and winners, gains and losses. It is a sad tale.

May 28th
More dull, straight, featureless, tiring travel. Only Palimor's tales lighten the boredom.

Despite the petty conflicts between the tuathas, the Great Kingdom might have survived, if it were not for the cataclysmic events of 786.

Myshara was a beautiful half-elven queen, and wife of the noble Uth-Dragus MacCuil. She betrayed his trust and slept with his younger brother, Lorthwren the Brave. I do not understand why people do such cruel things to each other! Their affair was aided by Prince Trell'dem, a young lord and advisor of Uth-Dragus.

A knight, Opcord Magnus, revealed the affair to the King. In a rage, he sought out his brother, who dallied with his wife in the Forests of Alba. Uth-Dragus found and fought his brother, and would have killed him, if not for the intervention of a druid. The druid saved both Lorthwren and Myshara. Returning his castle, Uth Dragus demanded the death of his brother, but for reasons unknown, the council of Condatis refused to cooperate. Uth-Dragus sent a group of elite guards to retrieve his wife and brother, and they were killed, apparently by the druids. Palimor, however, seems to think someone else may have been responsible, but he will not elaborate.

May 29th
About an hour after waking up and continuing our journey this morning, a faint droning noise began. Finis went ahead to check it out. He reported that it was a seven foot tall green humanoid, with holes in it (through which the wind was whistling) and sunlight glinting off the dew on its surface. We gave it a wide berth, avoiding it altogether.

We crossed a major road this afternoon. I suspect that we are somewhere between Findabair and Tea Mur (which tells us little). If we become totally lost, we can at least head due south until we hit a road, then follow the road to a city.

May 30th
The sky became overcast today, but no rain fell. The weather seems uncertain whether to enter the warmth of spring, or remain in the wet cool of winter; it has chosen to remain a cautiously moderate temperature. This is excellent traveling weather. Unfortunately, I find little comfort in the weather.

Palimor continued his story today. It seems that the King sent his army into the forests, under the leadership of Trell'dem. Apparently, the King had not learned of Trell'dem's duplicity. A bloody battle in the forest broke out. All of this blood was spilt over one woman's infidelity! The King soon received word that Myshara had been killed in the fighting, and Lorthwren, who had formerly sought to appease his brother, swore eternal hatred for him. With no hope of negotiating a peaceful solution, each side began collecting allies. By the end of the year, almost all the tuathas had either sided with Uth-Dragus or Lorthwren. The War of Dissolution had begun.

May 31st
Torin spotted some orcs today while scouting ahead. He gave chase, but they filled him with arrows and then ran away (easily outpacing the dwarves). I was hoping that our avoidance of many creatures had taught them that discretion is the better part of valor; apparently, dwarves must have that lesson literally beaten into their head (or at least, these dwarves must).

The sad end of Palimor's story came today. With the war begun, and all the tuathas on one side or the other, Midhe became the domain of Lorthwren. With the backing of the druids, he fought to defend Midhe, and both sides suffered horrendous losses. Connaught was allied with the King; they had many powerful artifacts and "animas" that wreaked havoc on Midhe and Ailech. Trell'dem, with the support of priests, the Wild Dwarves, and the nation of Midhe, broke away from Connaught in 794. Connaught, led by Uth-Dragus, could not spare the forces necessary to reclaim the rebelling province.

The war continued, and whole tuathas were wiped out. The newly acquired lands were left to fend for themselves, and chaos seemed certain to spread throughout the entire region. Palimor says that he was killed in 795, as he traveled to Ailech to lead his people to a safer place. He had left the forces of Midhe for this purpose, as it was feared that many groups, from priests to Wolfen, were trying to take control of Ailech to form their own state. Palimor's own unit was ordered to the border of Ailech; the only possible reason for this was an attack on Ailech. Not wishing to attack an ally and possibly his kin, Palimor and many others left the Midhe army. They had been moving south through the desolation known as Izmalkor, when a Cimbrian with a dark beard and mustache rode a flaming chariot down at him. He hurled flame at the elves, striking Palimor down. It was May 5th. Palimor has haunted these hills ever since.

I asked him several questions about the druids, and their possible motives for attacking elves. He said that Druids were powerful before all the conflict started, but became even more so when Midhe formed. Prior to the War of Dissolution, the Druids had split the power with the King and lairds, acting as advisors, but not ruling the people. In Midhe, the druids held almost complete political power, although they claimed to act in the name of King Lorthwren.

One faction of Druids, the Hal Seinn, discouraged cooperation between druids and other races--especially elves, wolfen, and halflings. It is conceivable that these druids saw those races as a threat to their political power, as they know much of the lore of the druids. I wondered whether the druids might be trying to promote the balance by striking down good creatures. Palimor suggested that there was plenty of evil about, as is always the case during war--which is itself an act of evil. He has an excellent point; killing good elves would certainly not help to restore the balance.

Out of curiosity, I asked Palimor how well the various races got along in his day. He seemed confused by the question. Eventually, he said that the races got along well enough, although they tended to live in their own neighborhoods. They worked and lived together. His own tuatha was small, but friendly with several human villages. Some humans and half-elves even lived in Morningstar.

I hope that the tale of our adventure in this wilderness has a happier ending than Palimor's.

June 1st
As I write this, I wonder if this will be the last thing I ever write. I plan to ask the others to get these pages to you, if I should fall.

It is the first day of the festival at Duma Faifni, and I am stuck out here, in the middle of nowhere. It seemed that we would never get anywhere, when suddenly, just before lunch time, the tip of a white tower became visible above some hills. We crested the hills, to see a both inspiring and terrible sight. The valley was incredibly beautiful; a stream ran through it, healthy trees grew green and tall, and the white tower stood majestically upon a hill in the middle of it all.

But a second look brought a sense of crushing defeat. The tower was in shambles. Trees grew up around it, some of them with branches punched straight through the walls of the tower (and I do mean punched--the trees were obviously made to attack the tower somehow). The remains of an elven village, or some other kind of complex, lay in ruins around the tower. A single, lonely wind chime sounded its sombre tone. Palimor was crushed, but I tried to comfort him, and encourage him to find out what happened. He became determined to solve this mystery.

While investigating the ruins, I asked Finis if druidic magic was responsible for the trees' attack on the tower. Finis said he had no doubt of it. I relayed this information to Palimor, asking him not to overreact. He didn't seem to hear the last part; he immediately turned on Finis. I thought he was sure to attack the druid, but I asserted myself (much to my own surprise) and said "I told you not to overreact!" He actually listened to me, and apologized to Finis! I am glad no other opportunities for conflict came up; I doubt that I could restrain him a second time.

In one of the ruined buildings we were attacked by the undead remains of two humanoids. Hoping that my improved abilities would allow me to channel enough power to order them away, I tried to turn them. I failed. I am beginning to see the pattern of surprise success and failure as possibly a sign of Prometheus' wisdom. He surprises me with successes to let me know that I am capable of doing well. He surprises me with failures to keep me humble.

Fortunately, Blades and Torin dispatched the undead with ease. Unfortunately, they got right back up again. A supernatural fear--a terror of seeing the invincible dead--struck many of us, including myself, and we ran away. When we came to our senses, we returned to the area near the undead. We debated various plans to get rid of them,and eventually decided on using Torin's magical warhammer, although he is not very skilled with it. Many undead and supernatural creatures that cannot be affected by ordinary weapons can be affected by enchanted weapons, as you probably know.

Torin struck down one creature, but was in turn struck down by the other. Blades ran in to finish the job. I must say, they haven't been accidentally hitting each other and breaking their weapons quite so often, as of late.

After finding a ring under a stone, and determining that it was probably enchanted, we renewed our search. I tried the ring on, but nothing seemed to happen. Perhaps it will become useful later.

While searching, a large tree attacked us! Roots shot up through the ground, entangling us. It seemed particularly interested in Finis, pulling him toward what seemed to be a face, with a huge mouth. I summoned a handful of the Holy Fire, to fling at the tree in desperation, but Palimor began to shout at the tree in Elvish. We ceased our attacks, and simply tried to free ourselves. The tree eventually let us go, explaining that it was set here by the elves to guard the area. It said that its name was Grayleth Greenwarder.

After a while, a picture of what happened here emerged. Apparently, a druid flying on a flaming chariot swooped out of the sky (as he did at Palimor), and ordered the trees to attack the Elves. The Elves were slaughtered, and those that were not (or perhaps the spirits of those killed) were imprisoned under the tower. The tree said the druid's name was Bartok Oaklore.

To free the elves, we had to locate three animals, each with a white blaze on their heads: a bear, a fish, and a hawk. Each held within it a key to open the passageway to the elves. We merely had to get them all into the tower at the same time. Of course, we had no idea how we were to do this. The tree didn't have any ideas, either.

We first went for the hawk. It nested atop a steep hill, near the tower. I tried to climb, but having no experience, couldn't even get higher than ten feet. Torin gave it a try, and successfully reached the top. He apparently befriended the animal (he has "a way" with animals), as it hopped right onto his arm. He began his climb down, and the hawk hopped onto his shoulder. About one-fourth of the way down, Torin slipped and fell in a terrible jumble of arms and legs. He survived the fall, but barely so. We did what we could for him, and the hawk glided gracefully down to land by his side. We helped Torin into the tower, and left him there while we went to get the bear.

The bear was hiding in a cave nearby. Prometheus granted me the knowledge of its language, but it was not going to budge. I gave the knowledge to Palimor, but he could not persuade it to help either. I eventually bribed it with some rations. We led it to the tower, where Torin and I fed it from the supplies on the pony.
The others went to find the fish. I soon heard screams and shouts, and rushed to see if I was needed. I arrived just in time to see a badly wounded blades deliver an incredible blow to a giant crustacean. I swear, he fairly cleaved the thing in half with one swing! Palimor caught the fish with a makeshift fishing pole, and I ran back to the tower with it.

As soon as I lay the fish on the tower floor, all three animals died. They had been imprisoned here, immortal, far too long. A door immediately opened in the floor, and Palimor jumped down before any of us could react. Following him down, we saw an elvish woman materialize in the dark stone room. She seemed not to be fully present--translucent is the only way I can think of to describe her. She and Palimor touched foreheads. Palimor turned and gave us his sincere thanks, and told us that a reward was located under some stones to the left. Before we could ask him where we were (or how to get to the nearest town), Palimor was gone, and Taelsyn collapsed.

We made sure Taelsyn was all right, then inspected the treasure. A fine long sword lay under an elven cloak with a moonstone clasp. Also present was a suit of elven chain mail--that famous lightweight armor--as well as a magic ring, and some elvish arrows. We distributed the items, and I found that the ring bestowed upon the wearer the ability to make incredible leaps. I gave Taelsyn the first ring we found (which we suspect provides a small measure of protection to the wearer).
After climbing out of the secret room, we returned to tell Grayleth Greenwarder what had happened. He listened intently, and seemed happy that all had ended well. He then gave us the cryptic message "Orcs are coming". He could tell us nothing more; he only knew that orcs, possibly in large numbers, were approaching.

We are wounded, and almost without rations (thanks to the bear). This position is not very defensible. We are neither fit for defending from an attack, nor a siege. Even fleeing is a risky proposition, because of our short supplies. I am unsure what we can do. I still have a few cards left to play--a cure serious wounds scroll, for example. But the situation does not look good. If this turns out to be my last writing, and if it should reach you somehow, I ask you to tell my parents what happened, and tell them I love them. I hope that I have served Prometheus well. Perhaps I am being melodramatic, but I sense we are in great danger. If we should all fall, I plan to send the pony off, with these pages attached. I hope that someone finds him. Praise to the Light-Bringer!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
SESSION 6

Obviously, I am still alive, or else this is really the writing of a well-educated orc with a penchant for sick jokes. We rested some, and Taelsyn came to his senses. We discussed the distribution of the treasure more, and decided that it would be most efficient if I were to wear the elven chain (because I am in combat more often), Taelsyn were to wear the Jump ring (so that he would not have to memorize the spell), and Torin tried out the protection ring.

Taelsyn climbed a short distance up the tower to the remains of a floor about ten feet off the ground. Looking out a window, he reported that there were no orcs in sight. We decided that we should get some rest, so we lay down in the room under the tower. Grayleth promised to wake us if orcs approached.

That night, Finis was awakened by a root poking him in the shoulder. He woke us up, and told us that he heard voices. Taelsyn's used his keen hearing to determine that they were orcs, scouting around the tower--probably no more than four. We decided to stay hidden. The voices soon drifted away. Taelsyn put on Finis' cloak and scouted around, but found nothing. Grayleth told us that he had moved the pony into the forest when he heard the orcs coming. Hopefully, they don't even know we're here. We're going to try going back to sleep.

June 2nd
We woke to a bright, sunny morning. Grayleth told us where we could collect some berries for provisions, and Finis caught some fish. I picked as many strawberries as I thought we could stomach (they are still green). I was gone longer than I thought; by the time I had returned, the others had already searched the valley for fallen wind chimes--apparently Grayleth missed their music. The chimes soon rang cheerily through the valley, for the first time in centuries. I am glad we did something to repay Grayleth for his help. We soon packed our supplies, thanked him again, and headed east.

We have traveled through the entire day without rest. We are now camped on a hilltop, by a large boulder. Although we are not all fully recovered from our injuries, we are in much better shape than before. If the orcs catch up to us, however, we will not last long.

June 3rd
Disaster truly struck us today; we lost a friend and valued ally. May Prometheus protect his soul.

In the earliest hours of the day, long before the sun was even close to rising, a patrol of four orcs approached our camp. Torin was keeping watch; he woke us when he heard their voices. We prepared for a fight, taking cover, and preparing our ranged weapons. Taelsyn slipped off into the dark. As the orcs came close, Finis illuminated two of them with a spell he calls "faerie fire". We opened fire on them with our bows and slings. They seemed somewhat confused, and the dwarves charged them. It was a terrible fight, and Blades was knocked unconscious by a terrible blow. One of the orcs drew a horn and blew it loudly before I could stop him.
We eventually killed them all, but we knew that many more would be close behind. We did what we could for Blades, which was not much, lay him on the pony, and ran as fast as we could. When the sun was close to rising, we stopped again by a pile of rocks on a hill. We hoped that the orcs would not pursue us during the day, as they hate the sun's light. We placed Blades and Finis (who was also in bad shape) in the shelter of the rocks, and sat down to rest.

A loud scream was soon heard, and the sound of a horn blowing. The horn's note was quickly cut off, however. The scream sounded just like the noise that frightened us so, the night when Taelsyn was possessed. Worried that whatever it was might come for us next, Taelsyn went to find out what it was. He stealthily walked into the darkness.

We should not have let him go alone--we should at least have given him the elven cloak. We soon heard the scream again, and then saw the "noon" effect of Taelsyn's wand of illumination go off. Torin and I immediately charged toward the bright light.

As we neared the area, I cast an Aid spell on Torin, and he drank the potion of heroism. We charged down into the area between several hills, above which the bright light had appeared.

A terrible creature awaited us there. It was a giant cat-like monster, with intelligent, malevolent eyes. It roared again, and charged us. This time we were not affected by its roar--that trick will not work on us again. I noticed several of Taelsyn's arrows sticking out of its side, as well as some slashes (probably from orcish weapons). Its most notable wound was on its head--it looked as if it had been hit by something very heavy, or run into something at full speed (it can move at a remarkable rate). Taelsyn must have given it quite a fight.

Torin resolutely braced himself for the charge, and Prometheus granted me a flame blade. Twice did I strike the creature, but it did not fall. It hit us as well, but the blows were not as bad as I feared they would be. It growled at Torin, and seemed about to pounce on him, but Torin roared back at it (which is also a frightening sound!) and swung mightily with his battle axe. The blow was incredible--he took its head right off in one blow! He spent a short period of time shouting at the carcass, and we began to look for Taelsyn.

Sadly, we soon found his partially-eaten remains. There was nothing we could do for him. I took his ring, some rations, his spellbook and other papers, and whatever other useful things I could find, said a brief prayer for him, and then used my flame blade to cremate his remains. I'll be damned if I'll let those orcs get their hands on him! I wish we had time to give him a proper burial, but we would be joining him unless we moved quickly.

Returning to the camp, we set out yet again. When the sun was high in the sky, we decided we could go no further. We lay down, again by some rocks, and slept.
When evening fell, we resumed our flight. Although Taelsyn did not talk often, it seems strange to be traveling without him. Nonetheless, we must press on. While walking through a valley, we found the remains of a wolf, apparently crushed by one of the huge stones lying about. Worried that giants were around (giants with good aim, as well), I suggested that we should get away from here quickly. It was at that moment that Torin, back at the entrance to the valley, shouted "The boulders are rolling down the hill towards you, and you're blissfully unaware!" Although we were somewhat confused by the strange wording of the warning, we collected our wits quickly enough to notice that all the boulders, which were previously just lying about, were indeed rolling toward us! We dodged several of them and breathed sighs of relief. Then we realized the boulders were turning around and heading towards us again! Obviously, these were living creatures of some sort. Noting that they had difficulty going uphill, we ran up the rims of the valley. Once we reached the tops (Finis on one side, I on the other), the boulders seemed to lose interest. The dwarves wisely avoided the valley, and we went on our way. Hopefully, the valley will trap a few orcs, if they are still following us.

We will continue to march through the night, after a brief stop for dinner. Our thoughts are all on Taelsyn.

June 4th
Most of today has been spent in rest. It became cloudy in the evening. As we prepared to set out again, we heard a loud roar above us, like a lion, and the flapping of huge wings, but we saw nothing.

After traveling for a couple hours, we came upon a ruin--really just a stone doorway leading into a hill, actually--with "Hiisi" written on the entrance. Finis tells us that he was a nature god of the local pantheon (the "tuatha Daydonnan"). The druids have been taught that he is an evil nature god, but Finis is skeptical about these teachings. I must admit, I am curious about what lies inside, but the door is guarded with glyphs and wards, so entering could be very dangerous. We also have little reason, besides curiosity, to go in. So we will have to pass up this opportunity. Tonight must be spent on the move.

June 5th
My prayers have been answered! Apparently, we passed over a road during the night. Torin was keeping watch while we rested, and suddenly woke us, shouting "A wagon! A wagon!". And there it was! A wagon, pulled by horses, with at least one person riding on it.

Torin and I immediately threw our weapons on the ground, and broke into a run towards it. The driver, a middle-aged man, seemed somewhat alarmed, but we showed him our empty hands and begged for assistance. He told us that he was Selimar, a merchant, traveling to Duma Faifni with his son, Altair, and his daughter, Espara. We are only two days north of Duma Faifni!

The kind man could tell that we were travel-weary, and offered to allow us to ride on his wagon. In exchange, we would guard him on his journey. Of course, we happily accepted the offer and collapsed into his wagon. Thank you, Prometheus! We have been delivered.

We rode until we reached the small town of Longmire. The journey was uneventful, although Selimar did tell us that the cat-creature is called a "caterwaul".
Tonight, we rest comfortably in the Inn of the White Knight. After putting the pony in a stable, and making sure that everything was fine, I went immediately to bed. This has been the most exhausting ordeal of my entire life! It is only early afternoon, but I will sleep soundly.

Unfortunately, I was not to get as much rest as I desired. In the evening, I was awakened by the sound of a man shouting "Stop thief! Help! My gold!" and so on. Groggily, I grabbed my flail and went to the door. A crowd had gathered around a large Cimbrian, who was on the verge of hysteria. I called to Finis for help, and tried to determine what was happening.

After making certain that no one left the hallway onto which all the rooms opened (and making sure that Torin guarded our room, with our possessions), we pieced together what happened. The man was sleeping, when he heard a noise, woke up, heard the door open, and jumped out of bed. His chest (holding 500 gold coins) was missing, so he ran into the hallway crying for help. A large, dark-skinned man (obviously not a Cimbrian) informed me that the lock was destroyed with acid. When we looked in the room, the chest was, to our surprise, sitting right there on the floor. It was, of course, empty. However, Finis found a piece of fleece nearby, which did not belong to the victim.

After searching the entire area, both with people and by magic, we found nothing, except that all the rooms were in every way identical. Then the tall dark-skinned man (who said his name was Suleiman) pointed out that the victim's room had an extra chair! I suspected that some kind of illusionary magic was at work, but none of us could find the flaw in the illusion. We assured the innkeeper that he would be compensated, then destroyed both chairs in the fireplace (surely, if one was the thief, he wouldn't let us throw him in a fire). Nothing unusual happened to the chairs, but a cry from down the hall told us that something had happened in the room.
We rushed down to the victim's room, and found two large bags of gold sitting on the floor. One obviously had a handful of gold missing from it. Finis, who had been guarding the room, lay on the floor, knocked unconscious. It was then that we heard Torin saying "Hey, where are you going?", and a fight broke out. Leaving the room, we saw Torin standing over a man, cowering on the ground. Gold coins were scattered on the ground around him. The crowd of onlookers pummeled him into complete submission. We searched him, and found thief's tools in the heel of his boot, as well as spell components, and a piece of fleece. The innkeeper notified the local law enforcement, and the large man, happy to have his gold back, rewarded us for our trouble. The thief was finally dragged away, whining and complaining. But just for the briefest of moments, he stopped, and winked at me--as if he were the loser of a game, tipping his hat respectfully to the victor. I shook my head, taking it upon myself to be ashamed of his behavior, as he obviously felt no shame.

Now, I will go to bed. And I pray that no one else gives me cause to wake early--my patience is wearing thin.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases