• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Magical Martial

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
I'm not familiar with Dragonball Z (I know if it, but the style is really not my cup of tea), but I am familiar with Mortal Kombat. My explanation for that is either that they aren't really humans despite appearances, or there is supernatural training not being called out as such (messy incoherent worldbuilding in my opinion, but to each their own). In the case of Mortal Kombat, this is understandable for a fighting game that doesn't really care all that much about its own lore, and certainly less than they care about gameplay. I feel quite the opposite.
but mortal combat doesn't say they're not regular humans, and it doesn't say they learn special supernatural variants of those mundane fighting styles, you're making those answers up yourself, it's exactly the same situation as with DnD, why can't you just quietly make up your own excuses to yourself in your own game rather than telling us over and over 'it has to be this way' (fun fact: it doesn't)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
but mortal combat doesn't say they're not regular humans, and it doesn't say they learn special supernatural variants of those mundane fighting styles, you're making those answers up yourself, it's exactly the same situation as with DnD, why can't you just quietly make up your own excuses to yourself in your own game rather than telling us over and over 'it has to be this way' (fun fact: it doesn't)
It has to be that way for it to be coherent to me. Having some things be fuzzy and others things clear for no reason makes no sense to me. Do what you want, but if you keep claiming it doesn't matter I will keep disagreeing with you, because it matters to me just as much as it doesn't matter to you, and my preferences are just as important as yours.

CreamCloud0

It has to be that way for it to be coherent to me. Having some things be fuzzy and others things clear for no reason makes no sense to me. Do what you want, but if you keep claiming it doesn't matter I will keep disagreeing with you, because it matters to me just as much as it doesn't matter to you, and my preferences are just as important as yours.
The clear reason is to let people interpret things in their own way that they want to, yours is not the only opinion that matters for what the flavour of the justifications should be, that’s why you’re getting so much pushback, you’re basically saying your preference is the only one that matters.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The clear reason is to let people interpret things in their own way that they want to, yours is not the only opinion that matters for what the flavour of the justifications should be, that’s why you’re getting so much pushback, you’re basically saying your preference is the only one that matters.
But I don't care what the explanation is, just that there be one. Furthermore, many, many things in D&D have clear supernatural explanations, and no one complains that those explanations exist. The situation is incoherent on several levels.

CreamCloud0

But I don't care what the explanation is, just that there be one. Furthermore, many, many things in D&D have clear supernatural explanations, and no one complains that those explanations exist. The situation is incoherent on several levels.
But you getting your explanation means other people aren’t allowed theirs, why are you more important than they are?

Remove ads