• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The monster 'crit' problem

Artoomis

First Post
...Fact is, the 4e crit rules mean that the Orc Greataxe Problem just doesn't happen in 4e. Especially at epic levels, an extra 5d6/6d6 on a crit isn't going to break the bank (by meaning a lucky 20 kills the PC straight off by doing 1.5* his total hp)....
Cheers

But do remember that one who really beefs up the effects of critical hits is likely to also take the epic (weapon group) mastery feat that lets them have criticals on a 19-20. The good news, though, it that only happens at epic levels and so that pretty much prevents abuse.

The big power creep for 4e may very well be if WotC allows some other power to stack with that feat. That would be... bad. Very fun for whoever gets it, but very unbalancing.

Doctor Proctor

First Post
The big power creep for 4e may very well be if WotC allows some other power to stack with that feat. That would be... bad. Very fun for whoever gets it, but very unbalancing.

Yeah, I don't think that they'll be doing that. Or if they do, it would be something like "increases crit threat range by 1", rather than the old doubler ones they had. Those were just silly when you could pick up a couple and start critting on a 12. :D

Arlough

Explorer
Realistically, if you have a monster that you want to be scary, and part of that scariness is crit dice, add a magical weapon. That way the party gets a loot of whatever multiple of crit dice you like, and the BB is threatening.
The DM's Toolbox mentions that you have a magic weapon bonus restriction, but just cause the BB isn't getting a +to-hit or +to-damage doesn't mean that he doesn't get the critical dice or other weapon properties.

If the big bad is a non-humanoid, then make his tooth or talon a valuable magical component that the PCs can turn into a weapon, or whatever. Or just take the stats and change the flavor of the monster into a humanoid. I mean, hell, we have breasted lizard women in plate armor that can breathe lightning. I think we are already well into the realm of "left reality behind"

Xeterog

Explorer
I've been using this house rule in my campaign for a while now:
* Monsters get additional crit dice depending on their level

• 0-5 0d6
  • 6-10 1d6
  • 11-15 2d6
  • 16-20 3d6
  • 21-25 4d6
  • 26-30 5d6
  • 31+ 6d6

* Level 21+ Solos, Level 26+ elites, and level 31+ monsters crit on 19-20
* Level 26+ Solos, level 31+ elites crit on 18-20.
* Some named creatures may, at my whim, get a 19-20.

Didn't add the increased crit chance until about level 23 or so of the campaign.

Minions do double damage on a crit (and their 'normal' damage = the listed damage + 1/2 level--implimented about level 16 or 17)

I've had 2 deaths after the TPK by Irontooth in H1. Both before the minion change in damage.

Since increasing monster damage at epic, and adding the increased crit chance, combats are more challenging, but no one has died either.

Currently about 1/2 way thru E3 and about to level to 29, been playing since 1st level with these PC's (for the most part).

The players seem ok with the added dice on crits and double damage from minions on a crit.
They are 'jealous' of the increased crit chance tho...I may (or may not, we are almost done with the campaign) drop it.

Last edited:

babinro

First Post
While I don't consider this a problem, I do personally give all monsters the high critical weapon property for +1d10 at heroic, +2d10 at paragon and +3d10 at epic.

The goal being to give creatures like minions that extra potential unknown factor that helps keep players on their toes and lessen meta-game tactics. I'd follow the same rules as the PC, but it scales a little too much that a battle can be made swingy rather quickly with a couple of +6d10 crits.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Sounds sensible -so the Hill Giant (level 13 brute) should be doing an average of 26 damage with his greatclub (instead of the 10.5 average in MM1). That seems a little more sensible :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads