• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The needed monster that's never appeared in the MM1 -- or at all, in some editions

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
OK, in my Midwood campaign, one of the two groups is on a ship bound for Freeport. They see a sea serpent swimming alongside the vessel.

Let's go to the Monster Manual, and look up Sea Serpent, so I can have it ready, just in case they (OK, in case Renraw) do something irrational.

Not there.

Let's check Stormwrack. OK, MM2. Fiend Folio. MM3 ...

Not there, not there, not there.

(And no, the talking cutesey-wootsy Sea Drake does not count, especially as it's playing against type off a monster that's not even in the books.)

Despite the cover of Creatures of Freeport, a standard sea serpent really isn't in that otherwise excellent book. (Again, we get a sea serpent-like creature that plays against a type that doesn't show up anywhere.)

The closest we get are the dragons in Necromancers' Dead Mans Chest, which hopefully will show up in the 4E ToH, but what the heck? Why is one of the most iconic and seemingly basic monsters in myth and legend not in D&D at all?

Yes, I can take an eel and blow it up freaking huge, especially with the Freaking Huge template from Advanced Bestiary, but why should I have to? Instead of giving us the 4E equivalent of the phantom fungus, WotC, please, please, please give me a sea serpent next time around.

The crew and passengers of the pirate ship Melann thank you.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Doing a good ship-sized sea serpent is actually a fiendishly tricky endeavor - it has to be a significant threat to a ship while being something that the PCs can handle despite the fact that the serpent is a) gigantic and b) in water while they're on a ship.

I'd still like to see one, though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In my case, it's likely not to be an issue, but yeah, I hear you. Part of the problem, I think, is that you also have to have a system in place for ship damage, if you're going to do it right.

That said, every edition of AD&D has featured the dragon turtle despite those issues.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I have a fairly recent issue of dragon with three types of sea serpents written up like true dragons. They are VERY nasty, IIRC.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure which issue it was. Something in '06 or early '07, methinks.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Doug McCrae said:
MM - Elasmosaurus
Not a sea serpent. In fantasy, we shouldn't be saying "well, all those stories about serpents, they were really about a long-necked dinosaur." No, those stories should be about a freaking serpent! :p

MM3 - Dragon Eel
They speak Aquan, Draconic and sometimes Sahuagin and Common, and captains negotiate with them for safe passage.

They're not sea serpents, they're Yet Another Not-Serpent Playing Against Type.

Frostburn - Zeuglodon
Not a sea serpent.

Celebrim

Legend
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
In my case, it's likely not to be an issue, but yeah, I hear you. Part of the problem, I think, is that you also have to have a system in place for ship damage, if you're going to do it right.

That said, every edition of AD&D has featured the dragon turtle despite those issues.

I've got an issue of Dragon in a box somewhere which is either late 1st edition or early 2nd edition where the author took each of the cryptozoological theories on the origin of the sea serpant - from giant worm to actual serpent to mega sea otter - and wrote out stats for them. Very much worth chasing down if you are into that sort of thing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads