D&D 5E The new Bless

keterys

First Post
Really dislike it. Long enough to make you want to run through an entire area with it up, big enough to make a sharp swing in the odds.

Guidance is similarly annoying, since someone tries to use the d4 _every skill check_ the PCs make.

DogBackward

First Post
Yeah, but it's easier for Mialee (and Lidda, and the DM...) to tell that Tordek is or isn't applying the bonus if the bonus is a physical object on the table.
Maybe*, but that doesn't change the fact that +1d4 gives too big a bonus... it becomes a spell that nobody will not take and cast as often as possible, it's incredibly useful and edges out almost every other 1st level spell. And rolling that extra die actually wastes more time if it's forgotten at first than just getting a +1.

* I've noticed, at least among local gamers where I live, people almost never forget a bonus, or forget to remind people about the bonuses available. Experienced players especially will always make sure everybody remembers their possible bonuses.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I am also of the opinion that 1d4 can give too much of a acuracy bonus with Bounded Accuracy. I'd be more okay with a damage bonus instead or just leaving Bless with a +1, which is still pretty good as a 1st level long lasting mass buff spell.

keterys

First Post
Yep - damage bonuses are a great thing to do in a bounded accuracy system.

It could also give enhancement bonuses and not stack with magic weapons, which would be a form of balancing.

n00bdragon

First Post
The table I was at during the Dracolich game-day thing used Bless for several encounters. It was crazy good. Absolutely no reason to use healing spells as no one got seriously hurt. They were way too busy ripping the faces off of monsters with that +1d4 bonus. Considering that most monsters have an AC low enough that dedicated melees can hit them on 5-8 you're looking at a 25-50% reduction in misses on average. That's beyond insane. It didn't really bug me though because the wizard is choc-a-bloc with absurdly OP level 1 spells too (I was playing a wizard so of course I didn't mind). It doesn't seem to make the children enjoying the mundane classes unhappy either since they get to do more damage.

So I say perfect spell 10/10. Makes everyone at the table happy and is the right power level to match up with other level 1 spells.

Remove ads