• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New D&D Adventure Is - Tomb of Annihilation!

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

More updates will be coming through the Dungeons & Dragons marathon live stream live on Twitch throughout the weekend.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another ten pages, like all threads, about how FR is the worst. We've read it already. I really hope we get to talk about this product....

Heh, good luck with that one. But the haters are gonna hate and the whiners are gonna whine.

I am not particularly attached to any of the D&D worlds, as I do more homebrew than anything, but the Realms is the most palatable and easiest to use of all the published settings, at least to me, and I have been gaming since before the Realms became a published world.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Really, it sounds more like Dungeonology 2. Which, upon writing, is probably what it is. One of those other books that were spotted on Amazon...
That's a possibility too. And the more I look at the cover, the more I lean toward this NOT being the cover for Midway. I just can't rationalize "major release" with "angry cartoon fish."

Also, no mention of Artus Cimber or the Ring of Winter yet. Interesting...

Hm. Two possibilities, I guess:

(1) This is "Midway," the new mechanical expansion. The cover is pretty different from all the other books, but I can imagine it being the "limited edition" version, like the in-store version of Volo's Guide.
(2) This is a prop for one of the stream games.

I wonder...
Options 3) it's one of the two still unnamed D&D producst
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3907-What-Are-These-Four-Unnamed-D-D-Products#.WTG-k7ROKf0
We know one is a revised screen and another is character sheets. Other two are still unknown and cone out before Midway...

Benji

First Post
phandelver was a fun sandbox.

Everything else has been a re-hash/fluff up of something Gary or Tracey came up with, jammed into the FR with a "twist".

So what was Out Of The Abyss a 're-hash' of?

Also, Having re-read Against The Giants recently as a DM, I think I am of the opinion that Storm King's Thunder is better. Curse of Strahd is a pretty solid product with great additions. So if you want they want to re-mix, I'm not gonna dismiss the concept out of hand.

Mercule

Adventurer
Off topic, but isn't three months too long between hype and release?
I don't know. How long was "DnD Next" a thing? It doesn't seem too long, assuming the hype is done well. If it's not a product folks are actually excited about, then that's a long time to not care.

I'm actually more befuddled that they're doing a multi-day event to release an adventure. I assume AL is doing very well for them. Either that, or there is something I really don't understand about marketing.

Mercule

Adventurer
Options 3) it's one of the two still unnamed D&D producst
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3907-What-Are-These-Four-Unnamed-D-D-Products#.WTG-k7ROKf0
We know one is a revised screen and another is character sheets. Other two are still unknown and cone out before Midway...
OK. That would be a really cute way to package/name the DM screen.

I'd still like to see more settings' IP used in naming (Ashardalon's Guide to Everything?), but I would completely withdraw all my criticism about it, as a DM Screen -- especially if one of the other products pulls a name from a different setting.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Hopefully this doesn't turn into another ten pages, like all threads, about how FR is the worst. We've read it already. I really hope we get to talk about this product....

Agreed. It gets so tiresome. We get it... let it go!

I really hope there is some sort of nod to Dwellers of the Forbidden City (the first published module I ever purchased). Judging by the exposure that the Yuan Ti got in Volo's Guide, I wouldn't discount the possibility!

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
They are playing a long game, with this one being teased in the DMG with the lich Acererak...
(I do have other thoughts/ conspiracy theories regarding that though...)
Keep in mind, Chris Perkins tweeted that Artus and the Ring would feature in a 2017 product. So the long-game can only go on for so long.

Also, has anyone else noticed this book in the background? It looks like a hard-cover. It clearly has the 5E branding on it, and the only word on the cover is "DRIZZT." A mock-up for a future release, maybe?

View attachment 84785

Edit: Looks like a Drizzt comic, as others pointed out. Probably this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads