• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New Forgotten Realms - (About) A Year Later

Obryn

Hero
Inspired by this thread, I decided to break out my old FRCG and look through it again. I haven't looked at it much for quite a while, since I wasn't running a game in the Realms. I'm not that far into it, but so far I've noticed the following...

* It's aged well. Now that I'm past the initial "WTF?" feeling, the huge disorientation, and most of the conflict... it's a much better-made setting than I remember.

* Sadly, yes, the map really is that bad. Seriously, it's a muddled, busy mess.

* It "respects" the Realms history more than I remember. I think anyone who's steeped in FR canon could run a damn fine post-apocalyptic Realms campaign, no problem. References to pre-Spellplague FR are everywhere. Incorporating stuff from 1e/2e/3e doesn't seem too hard, honestly; I think the difficulty has been overstated.

* The Magic section is pretty neat, actually. I get an FR vibe from it.

* I love the idea of Spellscars, Plaguechanged creatures, and so on. Lots of good potential for mutations & bizarre encounters.

...so yeah, I'll post more as I get to it, but since I have a long weekend at my wife's parents' place, I should be able to check out a few more things. :)

-O

Remove ads