The new Horrid Wilting

Limper

First Post
I was just looking at the peek at Horrid Wilting.

Why would anyone memorise it unless they were wizard hunting? 20d6 and a Fort save... not to usefull against about 4/5ths of the creatures in the Game and it doesn't affect undead or constructs.

What do you think they are doing to make it useful?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Primarily it is used to counteract energy resistance and evasion.
You can also target it to attack your enemies and spare your friends, something that is impossible with a fireball.

[edit] In other words, it's quite a useful spell the way it is.[/edit]

Last edited:

zorlag

First Post
-

Yep, it's good against people with Evasion. Also it has built in Sculpt Spell effect, fairly large area of effect and unresistable damage type. Mind you, it won't work on everything, but when it does, it's very good. 3.0E version was just plainly better than Meteor Swarm, which wasn't right. Now at least you have to think about it a little.

Z.

Al

First Post
The reason that 3e HW was better than Meteor Swarm was because MS was lame, not HW broken.

Double Empowered Cone of Cold (30d6)
Empowered Delayed Blast Fireball (30d6)
Maximised Empowered Flame Strike (90 + 7.5d6)

Meteor Swarm (24d6)

The new HW is something of a waste of time, seeing as a Maximised Cone of Cold does a flat 90 damage at the same level (versus HW's initial 15d6, rising to 20d6, but still 20 points short on average). Sure, it's targeted- but then targeted has it's disadvantages as well (illusions, hidden characters, spell turning, etc.)

Psion

Adventurer
It's obvious to me that you haven't used this spell too much. In my high level game, it came up a lot, and it was a pretty nasty and feared spell.

First, you can indivually target the spell. No friendly fire. No missed opportunities because the melee maven charged too soon. No dead fighters because the annoyed mage got fed up with the melee maven.

Second, the party rogue and monk rues this spell because it's not a reflex save, ergo no evasion.

Finally, it's non-elemental, so creatures with elemental resitances don't get off easy.

Tzarevitch

First Post
Psion said:
It's obvious to me that you haven't used this spell too much. In my high level game, it came up a lot, and it was a pretty nasty and feared spell.

First, you can indivually target the spell. No friendly fire. No missed opportunities because the melee maven charged too soon. No dead fighters because the annoyed mage got fed up with the melee maven.

Second, the party rogue and monk rues this spell because it's not a reflex save, ergo no evasion.

Finally, it's non-elemental, so creatures with elemental resitances don't get off easy.

I must agree. Most arcane casters in the games I play in love the spell because it is so hard to avoid. It is THE paramount arcane damage spell. Its damage is not all that earth-shaking compared to powered up versions of other spells but unlike the other spells you WILL take the damage because SR is the only really effective way to avoid it (except the very rare Mettle ability).

Tzarevitch

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I guess I don't bump into enough ninjas because a spells ability to avoid evasion is far from a good enough reason to make a spell the paramont damage dealer. It's a decent backup, but high fort saves are common so its not a stand by.

Its basically a spell for when a bunch of ninjas jump you and that's it. Oh and yeah its great vs wizards since wizards suck vs everything.

Remove ads