D&D (2024) The new ONE inspiration rules really screw Halflings

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
This is just wrong.
The playtest has a general rule: what is not defined in the playtest is the same as in the 2014 PHB, so youbcan just start a short rest as normal...
I'm not so sure that short rest is a thing that falls back to those rules though. It's been obvious that short rests are going to be getting some changes for a while now since they started pb/long rest stuff. Adding in a glossary entry for long rest that mentions failing over to short rests without including a short rest entry as well doesn't give the 2014 short rest a strong footing. If the only benefits of a short rt rest is the recovery of abilities that say they recover on short rests that is covered by the playtest rules. We might ultimately see a regression to include the old short rest rules in a future packet but the short rest omission was noted in the first packet as well so the omission is probably not one of mere chance accident.

The rules do not say that and the part you quoted does not say that. What they say is you get the benefits of a short rest if you start a long rest. It does not say that is what a short rest is. Further, since it does not define a short rest anywhere in that document, to include what the "benefits" are, it is relying on the current definition of what a short rest is.

Finally this interpretation would mean it is impossible to do a short rest within 16 hours of your last short rest and I am quite certain that is not RAI.
It doesn't have a glossary entry for short rest but it does say what the benefits are in eaxh ability that says it recovers on a short rest

There is no reason for that sixteen hour thing though. You can't benefit from a "long" rest more than once in a 24 hour period but a long rest that is ended after an hour gives the benefits of a short rest & is not subject to the once per 24 hour rule
I also don't read that as changing how short rests work. I definitely don't think that is WotC's intent. It would be a really convoluted design choice. I think if they wanted to change short rests to only being a thing when long rests are interrupted they would state that directly.

Edit: here is the PHB definition which as far as I can see still stands:
"A short rest is a period of downtime, at least 1 hour long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds."
Like the inclusion of blindsense while excluding dark vision I think short rests are probably a thing that they aren't quite certain about or not yet ready to put out. Either way though there is no reason not to assume that a discrete short rest glossary entry couldn't also include a lose inspiration at the start footnote.

I'm not so sure that short rest is a thing that falls back to those rules though. It's been obvious that short rests are going to be getting some changes for a while now since they started pb/long rest stuff. Adding in a glossary entry for long rest that mentions failing over to short rests without including a short rest entry as well doesn't give the 2014 short rest a strong footing. If the only benefits of a short rt rest is the recovery of abilities that say they recover on short rests that is covered by the playtest rules. We might ultimately see a regression to include the old short rest rules in a future packet but the short rest omission was noted in the first packet as well so the omission is probably not one of mere chance accident.

Maybe you just state, you rest. And then you get the benefits depending on the length of downtime. Maybe.

But a different thing I noticed, or better nit noticed: nowhere in the second playtest packet it is stated that you lose heroic inspiration when you start a long rest...
Or did I just miss it.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Maybe you just state, you rest. And then you get the benefits depending on the length of downtime. Maybe.

But a different thing I noticed, or better nit noticed: nowhere in the second playtest packet it is stated that you lose heroic inspiration when you start a long rest...
Or did I just miss it.
You don't seem to be wrong on the bolded bit. That was an oversight on my part & I think the shift is unfortunate since it put a small bit of self interest in the way of players feeling the urge to immediately say "letstakeashortrest" the instant combat ends.

No and our DM is I suppose "stingy" about this.

The more I play with it, the more I just don't like the inspiration mechanic at all. I don't get why it exists period.

Personally, I like the inspiration mechanic; IME, it encourages roleplay and it helps the PCs become more heroic by mitigating the chance of failed rolls. It does require some work on the DM and players' part for sure - which is why I particularly like lessening the DM's cognitive load by allowing players to assign inspiration.

Seems to me that the Halfling issue you have is more of a proxy for your dislike of the HI mechanic in general, regardless of how they end up implementing it for 1D&D. And that's fine. Not every rule is for every table.

There is good news for you and your group regarding HI: just determine in a session zero that you won't be using it.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Personally, I like the inspiration mechanic; IME, it encourages roleplay and it helps the PCs become more heroic by mitigating the chance of failed rolls. It does require some work on the DM and players' part for sure - which is why I particularly like lessening the DM's cognitive load by allowing players to assign inspiration.

Seems to me that the Halfling issue you have is more of a proxy for your dislike of the HI mechanic in general, regardless of how they end up implementing it for 1D&D. And that's fine. Not every rule is for every table.

There is good news for you and your group regarding HI: just determine in a session zero that you won't be using it.
Except, by doing so, you'd need to ban or homebrew the UA Human.

ECMO3

Hero
It doesn't have a glossary entry for short rest but it does say what the benefits are in eaxh ability that says it recovers on a short rest

Can you provide a page number and examples of this?

There is no reason for that sixteen hour thing though. You can't benefit from a "long" rest more than once in a 24 hour period but a long rest that is ended after an hour gives the benefits of a short rest & is not subject to the once per 24 hour rule

It doesn't say that anywhere and if you start a long rest and it is interupted and you get "benefits" from startign that long rest, then you are getting benefits from the long rest (just not all of the benefits).

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Can you provide a page number and examples of this?
  • Page 5: You now regain all your expended uses of bardic inspiration when you finish a short rest or long rest
  • Page 10: Whenever you finish a short rest or long rest you cab give yourself a number of temporary hitpoints...
  • Page 14: Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short rest or long rest.
  • Page 18: You can't use it again until you roll initiative or finish a short rest or a long rest
  • Page 18: Whenever you finish a short rest or a long rest you can meditate and...
  • Page 20: At the end of a short rest or a long rest you can give...
Those aren't obscure or anything.
It doesn't say that anywhere and if you start a long rest and it is interupted and you get "benefits" from startign that long rest, then you are getting benefits from the long rest (just not all of the benefits).
Yes it does say that. Here is how it works
1666733946557.png

The way inspiration should work is like this.
If you roll a 1, then you are inspired to do better. If you roll a 20, then someone in your group is inspired to match you. The player chooses a group member that does not already have inspiration.

Remove ads