• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Now Defunct Compendium Search Engine and the Evil Wizards

WotC_Trevor

First Post
Yeah, sorry for not popping in here sooner guys - I get swamped early Monday with some reports I do.

As soon as we get this fixed I'll pop in to let you know, though I'm sure somebody here will beat me to it :p

mudbunny

Community Supporter
No kidding. I am thinking some people on this forum have never made anything before.

Perfection is a damn hard thing to accomplish.

Heck, I know some places where a web-program was brought down because their live servers were newer and faster than their testing environment. It worked perfectly in the test environment, but on the live servers, because they were faster, there were all sorts of problems that came about.

Keldryn

Adventurer
Ahh, if only things were that black and white.

Unfortunately, those who have never done any software development have absolutely no clue what it actually involves.

I've been developing software professionally for over 12 years. I've worked on web and desktop apps for the financial services industry. I've built large and small web sites. I've written automated tests for AAA video game development (and been part of the QA process in finalizing a game). I've also been a level designer on a AAA video game. Those 3 years working in the video game industry were probably worth at least 10 years working in other software development.

Even the simplest project never goes off without a hitch, no matter how well you think you've tested it. There are some bugs that you will never see until the product has been released into the wild. The number of bugs increases with the complexity of the system. Heck, every time I finish a project, part of me is amazed that any of it even works at all. :cool:

And like you said, sometimes a single configuration difference between the live and development environments can bring the whole system crashing down.

Ryujin

Legend
And I'll bet that one of the first things you learnt, was to test your apps from outside the local network before going live ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads