D&D (2024) The One Dnd Strategy

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I think they said something like that about 3e too.

I am thinking they INTEND for that to be the case.
3e was built on a deliberate model of selling splats. I think Mote Cook is on record that 3.5 was part of the plan almost from when the initial PHB was produced. The power creep in 3.x was strong in every splat at least by my memory where as there has been very little powercreep so far in 5e.

Reynard

Legend
You’re not talking about an SRD. You’re talking about a player resource. These are not the same thing. An SRD is a legal document for third party publishers which outlines what content can be reused in new products. The current SRD is a PDF and of limited use for players.

What you want is a D&D Beyond rules reference tool. Totally different thing.
Which is much easier to achieve with a full SRD since it means you don't have to rewrite everything to.comply with copyright law. I'm actually a little surprised you are arguing since you yourself put out a full SRD and a set of online tools using it.

HammerMan

Legend
3e was built on a deliberate model of selling splats. I think Mote Cook is on record that 3.5 was part of the plan almost from when the initial PHB was produced.
Yeah but I remember them saying this was it the last perfect edition and the SRD and OGL would keep the game perpetually going.
The power creep in 3.x was strong in every splat at least by my memory where as there has been very little powercreep so far in 5e.
It is slower (because we are not getting 15+ splat books per year + Adventures) but the power creep is there.

Just look at new spells and compare them to older ones. People flipped when wither and bloom and the probability spell both came out in strixhaven

New settings giving feats or powers like feats at 1st level.

Heck even just the Tasha optional AIM for rogues

edosan

Adventurer
It reminds me of when Windows 10 came out and the marketing was all about how this is the definitive version and future updates were just going to be service packs and there would be no new versions of Windows.

I told our Microsoft rep that wasn’t going to last and he guaranteed me that no, Windows 10 was it. There would be no “Windows 11,” not ever. Fast forward to now.

Maybe it‘ll just be “Dungeons and Dragons” from now on, maybe they’ll eventually decide that’s too confusing and we get 6e. I’m guessing the changes will eventually become too much that backward compatibility won’t be possible any more but whether that’s in 2024 or later, who knows.

Remove ads