• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The One Hour D&D Game

jshaft37

Explorer
Is there any definition of "adventure" that they are shooting to be able to play in 1 hour?

I can agree that I would like to see a 1 hour adventure ala Dungeon magazine (4e example: Hook, 1 SC, 2-3 Encounters, resolution, minimal roleplaying), but how could you play through Keep on the Borderlands or Dragons of Despair in 1 hour?

Mattachine

Adventurer
I think some short AD&D modules would be examples of adventures that could be played in a couple hours:

1. Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan
2. Ghost Tower of Inverness
3. Slave Pits of the Undercity
4. Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (each part taking 2 hours, perhaps)

An old adventure like Pharoah is, in a way, three of these short adventures, of 1-2 hours each: wilderness, the temple, and the pyramid.

I think some short AD&D modules would be examples of adventures that could be played in a couple hours:

1. Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan
2. Ghost Tower of Inverness
3. Slave Pits of the Undercity
4. Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (each part taking 2 hours, perhaps)

An old adventure like Pharoah is, in a way, three of these short adventures, of 1-2 hours each: wilderness, the temple, and the pyramid.

Hmmmm, I remember A1-A4 Slave Pits taking weeks to play all the way through.

Slave Pits is only A1, and the abbreviated, tournament version (noted on the cover/map) only takes a couple hours, if that.

I don't recall an abbreviated option, but then I haven't cracked the module in 20 years. I do remember it took us a good 6-8 hours, at least, to play through it. Maybe we were slow... Then again, I am not of the school that holds AD&D to have been exceptionally faster in play than later editions. That was never my experience, lol.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I don't recall an abbreviated option, but then I haven't cracked the module in 20 years. I do remember it took us a good 6-8 hours, at least, to play through it. Maybe we were slow... Then again, I am not of the school that holds AD&D to have been exceptionally faster in play than later editions. That was never my experience, lol.
Play sped up a lot when at least half of the party (including all of the henchmen, torchbearers, lackeys, etc.) died in the first room.

Hey! I hope that's not what they're planning for 5E! :eek:

Mattachine

Adventurer
My group, if I recall, played it in an afternoon, which would have been about 4 hours back in the day. We played the full version--the short, tournament version was noted by shading on the map.

In any case, a lot of the AD&D modules were either short and designed for single sessions, or broken into distinct sections, each as long as a short adventure. I liked that design aspect a lot. Sure, there is also room for sandbox, long-form stories, and such, but consciously going for short adventures yields a tangible benefit without necessarily ruining other types of adventures.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
One thing that I would really appreciate in each advanture is a page or two of "how to run this advanture" kind of intro for inexperience DMs or for DMs who never ran that kind of advanture, for example, I never ran an outdoors sandbox advanture and would love some pointers in an advanture that is aimed for that kind of play.

Warder

Remove ads