Pathfinder 2E The Pathfinder Subform Is Definitely Dead - So What?

Retreater

Legend
I prefer messageboards for discussion. Discord can be good to get a quick answer, but lengthy discussions get overwhelming with all the topics coming in. Reddit is a similar issue.
It could be my age, but messageboards don't feel as much like an extension of modern social media. Even though I don't know most of the posters here personally, I recognize many of the regulars, with their biases and tones just like I would conversing with my friends.
So when Capn Zapp comes here to talk about why PF2 isn't good, I know where that's coming from. The same way The Magic Sword breathes life into the system with interesting new ways to play.
But for me, I don't have much to say about PF2. I've tried the system, didn't find it a good fit for me, and I've moved on like I have from other systems. I'd love to be able to support posters who come here to discuss it in good faith, but the only thing I could add would be "hey, I hope you love the game and have a blast with it."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Its probably really quiet for OP, now that I read their name and recognize it-- they seem to have been banned from the Paizo forums in the recent purge, if I'm not mistaken. I definitely remember their name being attached to an avowed troll with a cactus leshy avatar from right before that went down and the user account seems to be smote from Paizo's website.

Which actually makes me suspect the purpose of this thread.
Mod Note:

Be that as it may be, we try to avoid cross-board drama and generally judge ENWorlders on their actions here. There are exceptions, but they are rare.

Let’s keep it that way.

Thomas Shey

Legend
While this is the board I'm currently on that I find most compatible (occasional dust-ups notwithstanding) its hard to keep any non-5e conversation going around here; only luck you usually have has been with avowedly D&D-centric ones that are really far more general than that.

I could speculate why there's so little PF2e-specific discussion here (I really hadn't had the impression it was all that down on Paizo, even if the recent ones hadn't interested me), but my guess would be that there's just not enough of a a set of PF2e fans to make the critical mass needed.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
While this is the board I'm currently on that I find most compatible (occasional dust-ups notwithstanding) its hard to keep any non-5e conversation going around here; only luck you usually have has been with avowedly D&D-centric ones that are really far more general than that.

I could speculate why there's so little PF2e-specific discussion here (I really hadn't had the impression it was all that down on Paizo, even if the recent ones hadn't interested me), but my guess would be that there's just not enough of a a set of PF2e fans to make the critical mass needed.
Thing I like about ENworld is its fairly neutral here. You can talk about just about any game and/or general RPG topic. However, there wasn't much PF talk here even before PF2.

I prefer messageboards for discussion. Discord can be good to get a quick answer, but lengthy discussions get overwhelming with all the topics coming in. Reddit is a similar issue.
It could be my age, but messageboards don't feel as much like an extension of modern social media. Even though I don't know most of the posters here personally, I recognize many of the regulars, with their biases and tones just like I would conversing with my friends.
So when Capn Zapp comes here to talk about why PF2 isn't good, I know where that's coming from. The same way The Magic Sword breathes life into the system with interesting new ways to play.
But for me, I don't have much to say about PF2. I've tried the system, didn't find it a good fit for me, and I've moved on like I have from other systems. I'd love to be able to support posters who come here to discuss it in good faith, but the only thing I could add would be "hey, I hope you love the game and have a blast with it."
Totally with you. Its impossible to keep discord/reddit organized. Also, they have almost zero moderation, so quality of discussion is very hit and miss, if not downright offensive most of the time.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
At least some of the Pathfinder fanbase split from Paizo the same way they split from WotC: their favorite company made a new edition, and they went elsewhere to find games compatible with their tastes/existing products.
Not just a new edition with a few changes here and there - but a very different one as the rules work. That's when these splits are most likely to happen.
Chaosium follows the evolutionary model and edition changes don't seem to split the fan base. They're on edition 7 now and seem to be strengthening lately. The game has changed a bit here and there but it's still easy to recognize from 1e on.

With Pathfinder 2e, a split should have been predictable given the history and general hobby environment at Pathfinder 1e's start and PF2's design directions.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
This is where I am. I still check the site regularly, but I don’t have much to say about PF2 (since I’m not running it anymore), and I just can’t keep up with the discussions in general. I also don’t particularly care for 5e, so I tend to give D&D topics a wide berth.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Not just a new edition with a few changes here and there - but a very different one as the rules work. That's when these splits are most likely to happen.
Chaosium follows the evolutionary model and edition changes don't seem to split the fan base. They're on edition 7 now and seem to be strengthening lately. The game has changed a bit here and there but it's still easy to recognize from 1e on.

More true of CoC than Runequest.

Thomas Shey

Legend
This is where I am. I still check the site regularly, but I don’t have much to say about PF2 (since I’m not running it anymore), and I just can’t keep up with the discussions in general. I also don’t particularly care for 5e, so I tend to give D&D topics a wide berth.

Ditto. If you look at the conversations I'm in, as I said, they're mostly general RPG topics that happened to be flagged as D&D-related.

Remove ads