D&D General "The perfect edition for ___ is this!" [+]

Sacrosanct

Legend
Discussion time!

Note: this is a + thread. If you start typing out a response criticizing an edition, hit the backspace a bunch. Thanks!

(insert 8 paragraphs of @Snarf Zagyg's witty banter here)

So here's the deal. I'll list out certain scenarios. Tell me what you think the perfect edition of D&D is for that scenario, with an explanation if you like. I'd love to see folks' suggestions on things we might not normally think of. Expanding horizons and all that ;)

For quick play and ease of learning and picking up, the best edition is
For one off-sessions, the best edition is
For strategic and tactical planning, the best edition is
For system mastery, the best edition is
For that hero/superhero feel, my go-to edition is
For dark and gritty, you should use
Want a low magic setting, go with
Player skill matters, so use
For the best player options and customization, go with
Want to convert to a modern or sci-fi setting? Use
If you want a ton of setting/lore material out there, use
The best art and aesthetic is

Quick and Easy? Video Games! I love the Gold Box Games, but Baldur's Gate 1-2 or Solasta are solid. Baldur's Gate 3 might replace those options.

Strategic and Tactical Planning? 4th Edition. Regardless of the flaws, I never enjoyed the tactical aspects of combat more than I did during 4th Edition.

System Mastery? 3.5th Edition. I mean, intentional Ivory Tower design at first, combined with lots of products for option bloat and (inevitable) power creep.

Superhero Feel? 2nd Edition. Casters could be absolutely gonzo, and their spells were not as restricted as 3rd Edition. These were the casters of high fantasy settings, changing entire empires and doing whatever they wanted.

Dark and Gritty? Grim Hollow 3rd Party, Monte Cook's World of Darkness, or just play World of Darkness. A good DM can tell a horror story in any game, but D&D doesn't have much native support for that game style.

Would write more, but back to work I go!

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For quick play and ease of learning and picking up, the best edition is Basic or OD&D (less to learn than any other edition)
For one off-sessions, the best edition is any edition the group already knows how to play (you don't want to be spending the whole time in a one-off learning a new system)
For strategic and tactical planning, the best edition is 3.xe or 4e, 3.x because of all the player-side options and 4e because of the way most of its adventure encounters are designed around terrain and environment
For system mastery, the best edition is 3.xe (which to me is a bug of the edition rather than a feature, but whatever)
For that hero/superhero feel, my go-to edition is 4e (there's no zero in 4e); failing that, very-high-level play in any of 1e, 3.xe, or 5e
For dark and gritty, you should use anything 1e or earlier, or a heavily kitbashed 3.xe (E6 variant maybe?)
Want a low magic setting, go with any edition, as you'll have to kitbash the hell out of it in any case (e.g. excise or harshly rein in caster classes, rewrite many adventures, etc.) in order to reduce the magic level
Player skill matters, so use 1e or, maybe, 5e if run in that style
For the best player options and customization, go with 5e, and be prepared for char-gen to become a lengthy process
Want to convert to a modern or sci-fi setting? Use 4e or 5e, maybe? Not sure how well any edition would work for this.
If you want a ton of setting/lore material out there, use 2e; or failing that, port the 2e lore wholesale into any other edition
The best art and aesthetic is 6e, I hope; while I've found all of the previous ones good in some art aspects they've all been sadly lacking in others.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
For quick play and ease of learning and picking up, the best edition is Gamma World 7e, which is based on 4e, though it requires some adaptation to use in a pure-fantasy setting rather than post-apocalyptic science-fantasy. Has most of 4e's balance, but no bloat.
For one off-sessions, the best edition is also GW7e. Zany madcap hijinks. The only issue will be that it's geared for post-apoc science-fantasy, so it may require adaptation if you want to do something else.
For strategic and tactical planning, the best edition is 4e, hands down, at least in terms of tactics. Strategy is probably an older edition, maybe OD&D. You might be able to massage (perspective changes, with a small chance of light house-ruling) Skill Challenges to cover the logistics side though.
For system mastery, the best edition is Pathfinder 1e, if you're okay with having to slap down overpowered BS; 4e, if you don't want to bother with that but still want optimization to be rewarded.
For that hero/superhero feel, my go-to edition is probably 4e, though honestly no edition is particularly superheroic IMO.
For dark and gritty, you should use either 1e, with Ravenloft, or 2e, with Dark Sun. Those two are the quintessential "dark and gritty" options. I guess 1e and its emphasis on Greyhawk might work too, if you want a GoT-style "dark and gritty."
Want a low magic setting, go with anything that isn't 3e/3.5e/PF1e. 5e is the hardest of the remainder to adapt to a low-magic setting, but it's much more doable than 3e and its direct children.
Player skill matters, so use 1e if "player skill" means metagame knowledge, logistics, SOPs, marching order, etc. Otherwise, 4e, because literally no other edition of D&D actually respects the idea of "skill at using the game's rules" half as much as 4e does.
For the best player options and customization, go with Pathfinder, especially if the DM is willing to approve 3.5e content on a case-by-case basis. There's almost nothing you can't do with a "3.PF" game.
Want to convert to a modern or sci-fi setting? Use 4e. I was a player in an excellent science-fantasy setting which had almost no significant tweaks to 4e's rules (two extra skills, IIRC.)
If you want a ton of setting/lore material out there, use 4e, but cross-reference lore from 2e as necessary to fill in any gaps.
The best art and aesthetic is generally 4e, even though it has a few stinkers, but 5e actually has some really good art too. Avoid 2e--great lore, terrible art IME.

A few other example things I think would be good:

If you're hankering for high-flying pulp action, go with 4e, specifically Eberron, but refer back to 3e lore as needed. I am given to understand that, despite designing Eberron with 3e game rules in mind, Rich Baker felt it was an even better fit for 4e's rules.
For post-apocalyptic shenanigans, whether serious or comedic, use GW7e, as noted.
For a beer-and-pretzels game, play BECMI or B/X, at least by reputation. I haven't played either, though I have played Labyrinth Lord, which is apparently based on B/X.
The best option for long-running, high-level play is 4e, accept no substitutes. Yes, things can take longer to work through at high level, but no edition has given as much thematic and mechanical support to high-level play as 4e did.
If you want a long-run game but don't want high level, use 13th Age--if PF is acceptable, this should be too. 13A has by far the best rules for spooling out player advancement, such that even though it has only 10 levels, you could easily stretch that time out to 3-4 years and players would be unlikely to complain, due to the Incremental Advancement rules. It's also just incredibly well-designed.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If you want a long-run game but don't want high level, use 13th Age--if PF is acceptable, this should be too. 13A has by far the best rules for spooling out player advancement, such that even though it has only 10 levels, you could easily stretch that time out to 3-4 years and players would be unlikely to complain, due to the Incremental Advancement rules. It's also just incredibly well-designed.
Not sure if the OP wants us to stick just with D&D editions; thus far, I have.

That said, 2e as written (or 1e with xp-for-treasure removed) works well for a long-run game without high level - advancement is dead slow and it can take several years to get to even 7th or 8th level. Add in some character-cycling and you're good to go for nearly ever. :)

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Hmm...well, as long as everyone understand that this is, like, my opinion, man...

For quick play and ease of learning and picking up, the best edition is: The original red box!

For one off-sessions, the best edition is: 4e.

For strategic and tactical planning, the best edition is: 4e.

For system mastery, the best edition is: 3.5.

For that hero/superhero feel, my go-to edition is: I'm going to say 4e just because of Epic Destinies.

For dark and gritty, you should use: 1e all the way.

Want a low magic setting, go with: probably none, but I know 2e had extensive campaign books devoted to the concept, like A Mighty Fortress.

Player skill matters, so use: 1e.

For the best player options and customization, go with: 3.5.

Want to convert to a modern or sci-fi setting? Use: 4e.

If you want a ton of setting/lore material out there, use: 2e.

The best art and aesthetic is: gotta have me that Larry Elmore fix. 2e, please!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Moldvay/Cook B/X.
(Basic)

AD&D (1e).

1e or 4e.

3e/PF.

5e.

OD&D, 1e.

OD&D, B/X, or 1e.

OD&D, B/X, or 1e.

5e.

I wouldn't. There are better systems than D&D for this.

2e.

1e. From the black & white line drawings through the Elmore period of the mid-80s, it has the most consistent and varied art.
Second place is 2e.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
For quick play and ease of learning and picking up, the best edition is Basic 5e rules
For one off-sessions, the best edition is B/X or retroclone equivalent (partial to Beyond the Wall).
For strategic and tactical planning, the best edition is 4e
For system mastery, the best edition is 3.5
For that hero/superhero feel, my go-to edition is 5e
For dark and gritty, you should use 5e with some options, or Shadow of the Demon Lord, which is pretty close to 5e.
Want a low magic setting, go with 4e (strangely, it has a good number of non-magic options)
Player skill matters, so use 1e or equivalent
For the best player options and customization, go with 5e (3.5 has more, but at least 5e dont have a lot of trap options)
Want to convert to a modern or sci-fi setting? Use 5e or 3.5 (already done to death in the d20 era).
If you want a ton of setting/lore material out there, use 2e.
The best art and aesthetic is AiME 5e or Beyond the Wall. Jon Hogdson for the win.

4e
basic
4e
4e
2e
4e
2e
4e
4e
2e
2e

Hussar

Legend
/snip Replying without reading any other responses.
For quick play and ease of learning and picking up, the best edition is - Moldvay Basic
For one off-sessions, the best edition is - For players who already know the system? 5e. For players I don't know? 4e.
For strategic and tactical planning, the best edition is - 3e D&D
For system mastery, the best edition is - 3e D&D
For that hero/superhero feel, my go-to edition is - Any D&D. They've all been hero/superhero
For dark and gritty, you should use - Not sure
Want a low magic setting, go with - 4e hands down. Only edition you don't actually need any casters.
Player skill matters, so use - 3e
For the best player options and customization, go with - 4e D&D
Want to convert to a modern or sci-fi setting? Use Not sure
If you want a ton of setting/lore material out there, use 2e D&D.
The best art and aesthetic is - 5e D&D.

Remove ads