• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Playtest Fighter

How do you like the current version of the playtest fighter?

• Not At All

Votes: 31 17.7%
  • Not really

Votes: 31 17.7%
  • It's alright

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I like it

Votes: 43 24.6%
  • I like it a lot

Votes: 19 10.9%

Ahnehnois

First Post
"Per day abilities": No. Period.

Cleave: Carrying over poorly written mechanics from 3e is not going to make anyone happy.

Damage on a miss: Not cool.

At least it doesn't have powers, but it also has some bad mechanics, and no real interesting positives to it.

Also, not a comment on the class, but dwarves being completely immune to poison? Really?

Kinak

First Post
But, what happens without such basic powers in place? Pretty soon, a player has their character try to bash an enemy into a pit. After all, it's a pretty obvious thing to try. The DM makes a ruling on what happens. Now, here's the trick; the next time a player wants their character to bash an enemy into a pit, hasn't that previous "precedent" set just as much of a yardstick as Bull Rush or Tide of Iron? As humans, we like system; we like consistency. If a system starts out with vague, hand wavey stuff about "improvisation" and "freedom for the DM to make rulings" then pretty soon the common "brilliant ideas" (i.e. most of the ones that are actually commonly useful) will be done in the game, and precedent will be set as to how such "innovations" are handled.
This actually is why I have a lot of problem with including things like Bull Rush (moreso its attendant feats) and Tide of Iron in the rules. Because the players can, will, and (in my opinion) should do it themselves.

So you're essentially redefining rules terms. Which, in the case of Bull Rush by itself, is totally fine. But when you start getting into feats and powers, starts stepping on class features, choices other characters have made, and screwing up feat trees.

At the end of the day, you get two contradictory systems for pushing people (powers and stunts). I'm going to let people use stunts to do it regardless of whether there are powers doing it, so why have an entire additional system with all this rules baggage? What other effects does it have on the game when I obsolete Tide of Iron or Improved Bull Rush?

I've said it before, but "innovating" by making up stuff not covered by the rules is not the only way to improvise or show creativity - it's just the easy, cop out way. The way I much prefer is to see improvisation and creativity inside the rules. With my current 4e players I see this a fair amount; they are focussed on the map, not on their power cards, and they are sometimes using At Will powers (when they have Encounter powers left) because they see an opportunity to make someone else's Encounter power more effective by doing so. Creativity to feed into each others' attacks as a party is great, IMO - I love to see it in 4e and I would love it if I saw it really encouraged in Next.
Why shouldn't we do things the easy way again?

I mean, I know that if we do things the hard way we can layer modifications on top of modifications. But, I dunno, it seems like we could also just go with the easy way. I hear it's nice this time of year :)

I understand the joy of working within the system, twisting it this way and that to do the best you can. That's one of my favorite parts of my job, actually. But if I have to trade that in for ease of handling stunts and faster combat, that's not even a contest. I can totally understand why you'd feel differently, though.

Oh, and someone mentioned that "some players seem worried to lose their "rights" to the DM, but it shouldn't be Players vs. DM". My answer would be that I don't think it's the DM such players are worried about; it's other players. Without good rules for all common manoeuvres, my experience is that it pretty soon comes down to who, among the players, can sweet-talk/double-talk/bluff the DM best into letting them get away with more and better "improvised" things. So often I have seen one player suffering relative superiority at the table because they can blag stuff past the GM, either because they are just a good persuader, or because their tastes and beliefs align closely with the GM's, or because they read the likes and dislikes of the GM well. I generally like some friendly competition between players (akin, perhaps, to the archetypal "orc counting" between Gimli and Legolas), but "skill based" play aimed at manipulating the GM to the maximum extent possible just makes my lips curl.
I agree players are worried about other players trampling on their characters moreso than any competition than the GM. Unless the GM has a confrontational style, which is a whole separate ball of yarn.

An open stunt system undoubtedly awards players for taking actions matching the tone of the world the GM is presenting. Some GMs will get totally steamrolled by players, but I've watched GMs lose narrative control in a dozen different systems (most painfully Shadowrun). Rules can't fix that.

What the rules can do is say "This is your group's game, not ours. You decide its tone, not us. Players that drive that tone and make the game more fun for everyone should be rewarded. Here's a mechanic for that."

Cheers!
Kinak

A 1st level Fighter in Essentials has a four page character sheet. A 1st level wizard in 5e appears to have a 2 page character sheet.
I said looked at the fighter, not looked at the character sheet. The character sheet is designed for non-essentials classes and the power cards take up a vast amount of wasted space, especially as you can fit the basic attacks into about two lines, the stances into another two, cut cards for things like grab, and just about eliminate most of the sheet without losing any information. The power card sheets are designed to help you pick when you have too much choice.

And the wizard character sheet only fits on two pages by cheating the way wizard character sheets have to in any edition except 4e. The spells are not on there. So the actual size of the character sheet needs to include the books the spells are found in.

OmegaMan950

First Post
Weapon proficiency, armor proficiency, good hp, +2 to damage, strength mod. damage on a miss, 2 action points per day at second level, and cleave at third level.

Even for the most basic of the classes this is really poor

1st/2nd edition fighters got the best saves, (not possible now due to the saves based on ability scores) Weapon specialization, exceptional strength, extra hp based on high constitution scores, and multiple attacks.

3rd edition fighters got grapple, bull rush, disarm, trip, sunder, AoO, and 2 extra feats by 3rd level.

4th edition slayers (the basic fighter) got 2 stances, dex mod bonus to damage on basic melee attacks, power strike, +1 to hit, a utility power at 2nd level, and an increased power strike at 3rd level.

The 5e basic fighter can just attack, and attack some more.

Everything I've listed above is what makes the fighter distinct. Any class can improvise, any class can have a meaningful history, any class can be the current focus of the story, any class can use terrain to its advantage, any class can use henchmen in their service. The 5th edition fighter doesn't even get a bonus to these DM fiats and discretions.

This is a terrible effort.

The Little Raven

First Post
Except that the cleric and the rogue don't get extra actions every round. That's kind of a significant advantage to me.

The Fighter doesn't get extra actions every round either. At 2nd level, he gets 2 extra actions per day.

The Cleric can cast Spiritual Weapon and get the equivalent of 10 extra actions (a free extra attack every round for 1 minute/10 rounds). And that's just from a single casting. At 1st level.

The Little Raven

First Post
A 1st level Fighter in Essentials has a four page character sheet. A 1st level wizard in 5e appears to have a 2 page character sheet.

That's a rather disingenuous comparison. That 2-page 1st-level wizard also has another 3-4 pages of spells you need to play the class, but aren't included in the character sheet. I could make the Essentials Fighter sheet even smaller if I went the same route and removed all of the actual details from it.

Perspicacity

First Post
That's a rather disingenuous comparison. That 2-page 1st-level wizard also has another 3-4 pages of spells you need to play the class, but aren't included in the character sheet. I could make the Essentials Fighter sheet even smaller if I went the same route and removed all of the actual details from it.
I'm not trying to sell him on the wizard. The poster we were discussing stated that his group didn't play wizards because they necessitated too much looking at the character sheet figuring stuff out. He doubted that even the 5e wizard or cleric were acceptable to his group.

I wouldn't dream of arguing with the opinion of that poster or that of his or her group. I will argue with someone who wants to claim that an essentials fighter is the answer to that particular problem.

Perspicacity

First Post
I said looked at the fighter, not looked at the character sheet. The character sheet is designed for non-essentials classes and the power cards take up a vast amount of wasted space, especially as you can fit the basic attacks into about two lines, the stances into another two, cut cards for things like grab, and just about eliminate most of the sheet without losing any information. The power card sheets are designed to help you pick when you have too much choice.

And the wizard character sheet only fits on two pages by cheating the way wizard character sheets have to in any edition except 4e. The spells are not on there. So the actual size of the character sheet needs to include the books the spells are found in.

See my post above. Spells can also be reduced to a couple of lines, yet the designers have deliberately moved away from that, presumably because they were getting a preponderance of negative feedback to the 4e style. Of course not everyone will agree.

S

Sunseeker

Cleave: Carrying over poorly written mechanics from 3e is not going to make anyone happy.

Yeah, this really struck me. We know they've read Pathfinder, we know the solution is about half a sentence of text saying "Against a new target." or some such. If 5e comes out and the first thing I can do is build a Bag o'Rats Fighter...WOTC seriously missed the bus.

Perspicacity

First Post
Yeah, this really struck me. We know they've read Pathfinder, we know the solution is about half a sentence of text saying "Against a new target." or some such. If 5e comes out and the first thing I can do is build a Bag o'Rats Fighter...WOTC seriously missed the bus.

Right. I remember how D&D came to a stand still because fighters were bringing bags of rats to fights and ruining everyone else's fun. All those sad party members watching the fighter get all the glory by slaughtering great heaps of rats interspersed with the occasional real enemy.

Of course in reality, the Bag o'Rats exploit was nothing more than a bunch of threads in the Char Op forums. No actual games were ever affected by the exploit, except perhaps once to get a chuckle or two before the players moved on to playing.

But just in case it becomes it becomes an actual problem, I've devised something that can be added to the DMG to solve it.

If a player attempts to seriously use a bag of rats to exploit feats such as cleave, ask him or her to leave and never come back. Inform that player that he or she is no longer welcome at the gaming table, and that any friendships between that player and the DM and the other players is over.

Remove ads