• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The problem with rogues.

Enchanter Tom

First Post
I find skill systems to be at odds with the archetype class system. The thief class is a perfect example of this. Archetypes need to be broad enough to accommodate multiple character types. Introducing skills, even class based ones, has the effect of not only defining what a particular class is good at, but also at the same time, defining what other classes cannot do. The more of these specialized classes you create, the narrow the range of characters will be. I much prefer a game with only a handful of classes than one with dozens of one trick pony options.

Bingo. It really depends on the purpose that classes serve within the system. If classes are professions, it makes sense for them to have special skills. If classes are archetypes, then you don't need that specialization.

Bingo. It really depends on the purpose that classes serve within the system. If classes are professions, it makes sense for them to have special skills. If classes are archetypes, then you don't need that specialization.

Thats my major issue with later iterations of D&D, a move of classes from archetype to dozens of focused skilled professions. The more these specialized professions proliferate, the more narrowly focused they become. The narrower the focus is, the harder it is to make each class relevant or useful in wide variety of adventuring situations. As each class becomes more unique and focused, the more generally useless it is overall. Once you get to the level of silliness that requires revoking the pilots license from flying creatures just so melee focused characters won't feel deprotagonized when facing them, then the world has been drastically altered to justify the existence of hyper-specialization.

Mostlyjoe

Explorer
I take issue with the philosophy that classes should only be about combat role. The game is more than just combat. Classes should be about setting role, if you ask me.

I recently read a good series of articles on roles in RPGs, starting with this one.

In my ideal D&D, Fighters Fight, Wizards Make, Clerics Talk, and Rogues Take. Each class can also take on other roles, but should never be as good at that role as the class designed for it.

As the author of those blog posts thanks. Mind you the Rogue technically can fill all 4 roles. No one class should be limited to one. Specialize sure. Each class needs unique ways to approach Make, Take, Talk, and Fight.

RSKennan

Explorer
Yeah, I guess I was talking about which class I'd like to see take the lead in any given situation.

Edit: Also, I'm glad you saw that I mentioned your blog, because I really enjoyed those articles.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads