The Proper Use of Nudity in FRPG Art

MGibster

Legend
I dunno man. The lacks of pants by the female ranger always bugged me in that picture. What happened to her pants. Did the dragon eat them?
I don’t think she went into the fight wearing pants.

The elf on the left? The brown on her legs are a distinctly different color than the skin on her neck and face, indicating to me that she is wearing leggings/tights/pants.
I think the color difference is because her face is in the light and legs in shadow.

These things are sometimes hard to articulate if you dislike both sexism and prudery. And don't get me wrong, the former is obviously a far greater issue, but still. Especially in America nudity seems to always be associated with sex, and sexual themes are frowned upon far more than violence.

Funny anecdote from my time as a freelance illustrator for White Wolf's Exalted. They wanted an artwork of some beasmen preparing a human baby for food for a naked woman reclining on a divan, holding a heart (or perhaps a liver, I can't remember.) That was the description, that's what they wanted, I didn't invent this. So I drew the picture, containing the desired elements. They however asked me to tone down the nudity (which they had asked for) as the woman's crotch was (barely) visible. Baby eating was perfectly fine though!

Now nudity or sexual themes don't bother me. Granted, if done poorly, it will just seem tacky. Like the Avalanche Press covers. But thing's like Frazetta's art are of course just pure awesome. However, in this day and age, if such themes are depicted, there needs to be equality. The double standard of realistically armoured men and scantily clad women simply is not acceptable.

And of course such themes are not appropriate for every product. That should be obvious. I'm perfectly fine with the core D&D being pretty family friendly. But not everything needs or should be family friendly. There needs to be room for stuff like Exalted or Sword & Sorcery. And even in D&D Ravenloft must be allowed to do horror and people in Dark Sun to be scantily clad pulp adventurers. Just make sure that there are also pictures of musclebound warrior ladies protecting silk-thong-wearing lads in distress!

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
These things are sometimes hard to articulate if you dislike both sexism and prudery. And don't get me wrong, the former is obviously a far greater issue, but still. Especially in America nudity seems to always be associated with sex, and sexual themes are frowned upon far more than violence.

Funny anecdote from my time as a freelance illustrator for White Wolf's Exalted. They wanted an artwork of some beasmen preparing a human baby for food for a naked woman reclining on a divan, holding a heart (or perhaps a liver, I can't remember.) That was the description, that's what they wanted, I didn't invent this. So I drew the picture, containing the desired elements. They however asked me to tone down the nudity (which they had asked for) as the woman's crotch was (barely) visible. Baby eating was perfectly fine though!

Now nudity or sexual themes don't bother me. Granted, if done poorly, it will just seem tacky. Like the Avalanche Press covers. But thing's like Frazetta's art are of course just pure awesome. However, in this day and age, if such themes are depicted, there needs to be equality. The double standard of realistically armoured men and scantily clad women simply is not acceptable.

And of course such themes are not appropriate for every product. That should be obvious. I'm perfectly fine with the core D&D being pretty family friendly. But not everything needs or should be family friendly. There needs to be room for stuff like Exalted or Sword & Sorcery. And even in D&D Ravenloft must be allowed to do horror and people in Dark Sun to be scantily-clad pulp adventurers. Just make sure that there are also pictures of musclebound warrior ladies protecting silk-thong-wearing lads in distress!
I liked your post, but IME female players don't want their musclebound warrior ladies PCs protecting silk-thong-wearing lads in distress (maybe some gay male players might want musclebound warrior male PCs protecting silk-thong-wearing lads in distress, but I've not really seen this either). I definitely have seen (in S&S settings) female players play nearly nude musclebound warrior lady PCs, with scantily clad and attractive male youth NPCs as their sidekicks, but IME it's very important the youth be a brave, competent Gabrielle or (young) Iolalus type, someone worthy to bask in and reflect the glory of the PC. :)

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I want to have D&D inclusive to all, including children. I don't want my kids to think they have to bare all to properly play a barbarian.

D&D has been appealing to younger and younger audiences and I want that to continue, but when the game reminds me of an R-rated movie, it makes it harder to feel comfortable with children using it as a basis. Like how concerning it is for children to roleplay viciously violent scenes.

MGibster

Legend
But there are FAR more examples of gratuitously showing skin than any depictions of romance.
[Channeling Maxwell Smart]Would you believe that being unburdened by armor or conventional garments leaves her mobility intact allowing her to dart in and out of her opponent's reach making her a more effective combatant? No? Well, would you believe that she needs all that exposed skin in order to absorb the energy of the sun so she can photosynthesize? No. Well would you believe it's laundry day? [/Maxwell Smart]

Remove ads