The Proper Use of Nudity in FRPG Art

S'mon

Legend
Khuxan said:
I would argue the artwork should be as balanced as possible. This art leaves female adventurers unincluded.

While I do like Frazetta art and I don't like the tone of these posts, I do agree that D&D art should include female adventurer types - including fully dressed ones - and Frazetta wouldn't be right as the sole source of D&D art. Not that there's any chance of that.

Reynard

Legend
S'mon said:
Frazetta wouldn't be right as the sole source of D&D art.

To be fair, all I said is that Frazetta makes awesome depictions of what adventurers and their world should be to me -- but then, I am much more of a sword and sorcery fan than a high-fantasy fan, so there you go. My D&D games tend to be rated R, not in a "heh, heh" kind of way, but just in a "sex, gore and violence are as much fantasy as dragons, demons and elves" kind of way. YMMV, of course.

Ottergame

First Post
I'm all for art being as cheesecakey and offensive as the artist wants it to be. I don't care who feels offended by it. If an artist wants to draw weak women with huge bare boobies, good for him.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Ottergame said:
I'm all for art being as cheesecakey and offensive as the artist wants it to be. I don't care who feels offended by it. If an artist wants to draw weak women with huge bare boobies, good for him.

I don't think artistic freedom is the issue here -- it is to what degree should nudity be shown in D&D books. Personally, I think that some bare breasts are a good thing, so long as they are "appropriate."

EDIT: Also, I am biased because I think the women in Frazetta's work are uber-hawtness, far more so than the elven runway types of Elmore or the oiled up bodybuilder chicks of Vallejo.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Stormrunner said:
I prefer the way Donna Barr handles her centaurs. They wear clothes on the upper half but leave the horse-half bare, and she doesn't hesitate to show the dangly bits on the stallions - but not in an erotica-type way, just if you would have been able to see it from that angle in real life, it's there in the comic.
So boobies have to be covered, but genitalia can be exposed? Janet Jackson's nipplegate truly has ravaged the moral landscape.

Khuxan said:
The equal and fair treatment of women.
What does the equal and fair treatment of women has to do with Frazetta?

Khuxan said:
I'd say the picture they paint is not just incomplete, it's motivated by disturbing prejudice.
It's fantasy. Fantasy is built on disturbing prejudice. Fantasy breathes, eats, and drinks disturbing prejudice.

So, either every single registered member of this messageboard is an immature fascist, sexist, racist and chauvinist pig; or we're able to distance ourselves from the tropes and clichés of the genre.

S'mon

Legend
Reynard said:
To be fair, all I said is that Frazetta makes awesome depictions of what adventurers and their world should be to me -- but then, I am much more of a sword and sorcery fan than a high-fantasy fan, so there you go. My D&D games tend to be rated R, not in a "heh, heh" kind of way, but just in a "sex, gore and violence are as much fantasy as dragons, demons and elves" kind of way. YMMV, of course.

I agree re awesomeness of the art, but it's not very close to the kind of world presented by the D&D rules, in which most warrior characters wear full plate armour, not loincloths.

Ottergame

First Post
Reynard said:
I don't think artistic freedom is the issue here -- it is to what degree should nudity be shown in D&D books. Personally, I think that some bare breasts are a good thing, so long as they are "appropriate."

EDIT: Also, I am biased because I think the women in Frazetta's work are uber-hawtness, far more so than the elven runway types of Elmore or the oiled up bodybuilder chicks of Vallejo.

Sure, I just wish nudity in RPGs would get over the snickering peanut gallery mode, and show some fully nude men.

It's hard to say RPGs have "appropriate" or "realistic" nudity when you see full, voluminous hooters bouncing around but they always find creative ways to hide little tinkly-winkly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reynard

Legend
Ottergame said:
Sure, I just wish nudity in RPGs would get over the snickering peanut gallery mode, and show some ****.

I think you just made Eric's Grandma blush.

It's hard to say RPGs have "appropriate" or "realistic" nudity when you see full, voluminous hooters bouncing around but they always find creative ways to hide little tinkly-winkly.

The equivalent of showing bared female breasts isn't showing a penis. But then, I agree with you and think that nudity in general is not only not offensive, but rather attractive. In America at least, we are (sadly) far more comfortable with and tolerant of gore and violence than we are naughty bits or bad words.

Remove ads