• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Return of Sword & Sorcery Cinema?

horacethegrey

First Post
Would you guys count Chinese wuxia films as sword and sorcery? If so, check out some previews of Zhang Ziyi's newest movie, The Banquet (Ye Yan).

060105am.jpg

IMDB entry here.

Trailers and previews here and here.

Official site.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
horacethegrey said:
Would you guys count Chinese wuxia films as sword and sorcery? If so, check out some previews of Zhang Ziyi's newest movie, The Banquet (Ye Yan).

Not really, no. Many are fine, fine fantasy movies but not Sword and Sorcery movies. There is a pretty specific look and feel to S&S.

librarius_arcana

First Post
nikolai said:
We were talking about this before the boards crashed, when the thread was lost. Things may be looking quite bright for a S&S cinema revival. The only real S&S films this decade have been 'The Scorpion King' and 'Dungeons & Dragons' (and possibly Bloodrayne too). But things are looking up. From what I can remember, here's a brief status report:

* Bran Mak Morn - a film staring REH's other Barbarian is currently in production by Working Title.
* Red Sonja - her second outing has just been announced by Millennium Films and Emmett/Furla Films.
* Elric - Universal have the rights, the script, Moorcock's blessing and the project is moving along.
* Conan - WB seems keen to continue the franchise, though the film has been in development hell for some time. Hopefully progress will be made soon. Meanwhile an animated version of 'Red Nails' is going straight to video.
* Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser - Dark Horse have recently got their hands on the film rights, and are trying to stir up some interest.

On the mythic side, two Beowulf adaptations are out.

* Beowulf and Grendel - a straight down the line arty Icelandic version (thanks Wayneligon).
* Beowulf - an animated/CG/motion capture production (thanks Wayneligon).

Several S&S videogame adaptations are also on the way.

* World of Warcraft - is being produced by Legendary Films (thanks Insight).
* Dungeon Siege - is being made into Uwe Bolls magnus opus.

I'd be interesting in hearing everyone's thoughts.

Don't forget, Forgotten Realms

And Steven Spielberg has shown interest in doing World of Warcraft

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Wouldn't mind seeing her as Alhana Starbreeze.
She's too old.

I mean, given that Dragonlance elves are fairly unaging, and she's not one of those people whose age doesn't show. Still beautiful, but it's an older beauty now.

Storn

Explorer
I think there is a quiet underswell of sword and sorcery revival going on. It is something that I'm a part of. I work for both Swordandsorcery.com and Black Gate as an illustrator. And I'm illustrating sword and sorcery short stories. I'm seeing some real passion for the milieu.

But even more involving is the Catspaw webcomic, written by John C. Hocking (who wrote Conan and the Emerald Lotus, one of the best Conan pastiches I've ever read). And hosted by SwordandSorcery.com.

It ain't a movie. But it is a trend. Check it out.

Dear sword and sorcery readers....

Page 8 of Catspaw is up for your viewing pleasure!

It went up on time, I've just been on the road traveling, so getting the reminders up on various forums sat until today.

http://www.swordandsorcery.org/

Ranger REG

Explorer
mhacdebhandia said:
She's too old.

I mean, given that Dragonlance elves are fairly unaging, and she's not one of those people whose age doesn't show. Still beautiful, but it's an older beauty now.
Oh, and Dakota Fanning is right for female elf portrayal? ;)

Surely, you're not suggesting we pick them from the cast of One Tree Hill or The O.C., are you?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads