The Return of Sword & Sorcery Cinema?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Chris Weitz said:
a sort of 'Matrix' of the sword-and-sorcery genre
This is the 413th stupidest statement ever uttered by a human being. Please, Lord, spare me more marketing-speak from movie producers.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Klaus said:
And then PJ pulls a "Lucas" and re-release FotR with the new actor in place of Bilbo?

:D

j/k, I'd like a new actor to play Bilbo, and John Rhys-Davies to play that dwarf that is, iirc, Gimli's relative.
But both actors (Ian Holms and John) aren't getting any younger. Most importantly, I don't think John wants to sign onboard if he has to wear those itchy makeups ever again.

barsoomcore said:
This [the 'Matrix' for Sword & Sorcery is the 413th stupidest statement ever uttered by a human being. Please, Lord, spare me more marketing-speak from movie producers.
Agreed.

I was about to make a derogatory comment about the Matrix's peurile so-called philosophizing in comparison to Elric.

Then I remembered that the Elric stories have just as much puerile so-called philosophizing. Yeah, it seemed deep and important when I was 16, but so did a lot of other crap.

So now I've decided that I would far rather see an Elric movie that dispenses with the philosophizing and just features lots of killing and a kewl uber sword.

frankthedm

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
Agreed.

I was about to make a derogatory comment about the Matrix's peurile so-called philosophizing in comparison to Elric.

Then I remembered that the Elric stories have just as much puerile so-called philosophizing. Yeah, it seemed deep and important when I was 16, but so did a lot of other crap.

So now I've decided that I would far rather see an Elric movie that dispenses with the philosophizing and just features lots of killing and a kewl uber sword.
I almost like the comparison. The love story between the Warchouski siblings' 'author characters' is a big chunk of why i disliked the matrix series. To know going in a Trinity-esqe character is going to perish in the worst way in all of existence brings me great joy. I could even forgive the opening scene having the throne room magically lit in a rave-like manner to try and entertain Elric as long as they do not gloss over his depencence on the drugs. I like the series in writing and concept, but don’t forget Mr. Moorcock wrote Elric as almost a parody of Conan and other fantasy fiction.

Manly man? Hell No! Elric is an effeminate looking Bishonen prettyboy.

Strong? No way! He can’t get out of bed without ‘roids.

A mighty sword at his side? A mighty Evil sword is more like it.

Does he gets the girls? He gets the girls
killed
.<<<

Edit
http://www.amanosworld.com/html/work/moorcock.html
Yes, that artist is canon.
Amano has illustrated most of the major fantasy stories by Michael Moorcock which are published in Japan - setting the standard for fantasy illustrations. Mr. Moorcock liked Amano's illustrations so much, he changed the original covers of the English translations to Amano's work.

I think it would actually be a good idea to try to appeal to the female Tokyopop crowd with art and promotions using amano's work.

Last edited:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
J-Dawg said:
And to be nitpicky; WotC does not support D&D EDIT: Wow, that was a bizarre typo Dragonlance; it's still dead to them. They have licensed setting co-creator Margaret Weiss' company to produce DL material, but I doubt that there's anything to that other than 1) hey, a license. That's revenue, and 2) soft spot for Margaret Weiss.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dlacc/869900000

Published by Wizards of the Coast, just like Oriental Adventures was intended as the "core setting book" for d20 Legend of the Five Rings.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Joshua Randall said:
See, NOW you're talking!

Why don't movie producer/marketing flacks ever speak THAT language? Wouldn't you just DIE if the director came out and said, "Look, it's not complicated. It's some pale pretty uber-Goth with red eyes who moans about his fate while killing everything he cares about with the most wikked kewl sword you ever saw. There's hot chicks in baroque armour, torture, dragons, world-shattering sorcery and some of the most hardcore swordfights you're ever going to see. It's rated R cause there's blood and sex all over it, and it totally ROCKS. Go and see it."

Can I write marketing fluff or can I?

Remove ads