The Scarred Lands: Shadows Over Shelzar

Seyrn Lerramir

First Post
According to Seyrn [whose name is constantly being misspelled by the DM]

Belot 7th, afternoon.

The priestess at the Hospice granted the four of them entrance to Altho's recovery cell. He seemed nonplused by their appearance. The man was mad. Not quite stark-raving, but close enough for Seyrn. She moved and took the only seat in the room, resting her chin on her fist, her eyes fixed on the pock-scarred man. His hair was matted to his head, some of it having been shaved off. His skin was little more than a mass of scarring.

He knew what the book had been. Not before he and his group, the Company of the Seven Fold Arrows, had gotten it, however. He did not wish to speak much of the matter, and Seyrn did not try to push him. Rautho, however had a very short temper. Picking the man up by his shirt, Rautho pulled him up face to face. Even with threats of pain worse than any plague, Altho simply laughed at the barbarian. Disgusted, Rautho turned and walked out of the room.

Altho laughed when he found out that Sazeer had lost the book. "Lost it in the largest city-state on the continent!" His hysterical laughter filled the room. He revealed the existence of a True Ritual in the book, the Sworn Book of Chern. The ritual would release a plague that would instantly affect all people within a mile of its casting. From there, Seyrn had no doubts the plague would spread quickly. The ritual was called "Call Upon the Hand of Chern". Altho swore he would not go through the plague again.

"Give me your sword!" Altho pleaded with Geb. When he hesitated, and Seyrn shook her head, he turned to her, "Give me your dagger!" A wild look was in his eyes. He wanted to die. Something horrible had scarred not only his body but his mind and soul as well. The man was in mental torment.

"Calm - "

"Give it to me!!"

Seyrn spoke more sternly. "Calm yourself." She locked her eyes on his until she had his attention. "I swear upon my love for my goddess, if you give us the information we seek, you will have what you desire before I leave this room. I swear it, I will give you what you desire."

Altho seemed to consider her offer, and was then more willing to speak with them, for what little there was left to know. He told them of his visitors just a few days before. One of them was one of the dismissed workers from the warehouse - Eothan the spice sorter. Seyrn knew they'd have to find this man to go any further.

When all information to be had was had, Seyrn urged Izala and Geb to leave the room first. Geb would not hear about it. After a few moments of reasoning. "The priestess is about 20 feet down the hall. Once this door is shut, you have until I yell and she gets here to do whatever you are going to do." Seyrn nodded once. Geb and Izala stepped out of the cell and Seyrn closed the cell door behind them.

As soon as the door shut, Geb yelled down the hall to the priestess, alerting her that Altho was behaving wildly. Seyrn quickly took one of the daggers from the sprung trap back at the warehouse and handed it, hilt first to Altho. Without a moment of hesitation he turned the blade upon himself, shoving the dagger into his throat all the way to its hilt. He died within seconds, just as the priestess came in through the door. Seyrn did her best to look concerned and horrified. But in truth, she was glad the man had found the release he so desperately sought. Cradling his head (She thought that it would look more convincing to the priestess if she were trying to 'help' save Altho) she gave the priestess her home address, so that should could be made aware of Altho's funeral.

With a less than whispered prayer to Drendari for the man's soul, she wiped the blood from her hand on a sash and she and her companions departed the Great Temple.

That night, each of them split off in different directions to do some information gathering on their own. The night proved fruitless for Seyrn. This job was going to be more difficult than she thought.

Tuerny

First Post
Hi, just out of curiosity what does the readership think of the Seryn's version of the journals? Do they add to or detract to what is presented? Should they continue?

Any thoughts?

Snoweel

First Post
It's so well written, and adds to the flavour.

However, I'm more interested in the story, and don't have time to read 2 versions of the same events.

Though there are some beautiful touches, particularly Seyrn's last entry.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Yeah no offense to Seryn, but I prefer ONE point of view, unless the writer has already established multi-points of view. That said, it's your Story Hour Tuerny/Jesse. All I care about is that it's very enjoyable! :)

Seyrn Lerramir

First Post
Impossible to offend me. It is Tuerney's Story Hour. If my postings are a problem, I'll keep em to myself. No offense taken :)

Two versions of the same events can get tedious. And since I read a buttload of message boards myself... I know how much time it can steal.

Just tell me for certain and my postings in the story hour will cease.

Snoweel

First Post
Seyrn Lerramir said:
Just tell me for certain and my postings in the story hour will cease.

Yeah, I'm not so sure.

Like I said, it's a bit much reading 2 versions of the same stuff, but your last entry in particular was truly evocative. It showed the mood of Altho's suicide that Tuerny's narrative didn't even touch on, and helps "paint" the setting.

For mine, I say keep posting. Maybe focus on particularly poignant moments, like meeting Rautho and seeing Altho top himself. Very enjoyable.

Remove ads