The Second Doctor Sourcebook

bjmorga

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for The Second Doctor Sourcebook

Chronologically speaking, the Second Doctor is where Doctor Who truly got pleasurable for me. I'll admit that many of the First Doctor serials puzzled me as I have watched them over the last several years. There are flashes of brilliance, but I mainly walked away from the First Doctor era scratching my head as to how this television show ever became a phenomenon that has lasted over 50 years. Fortunately, the Second Doctor era of Doctor Who is nearly perfect. This sourcebook, like the previous volume, takes an in-depth look at the Second Doctor's various adventures. Any fan of the show could use this sourcebook for whatever purpose. That's why the Cubicle 7 books are so brilliant. There's RPG material, but almost any fan could pick the books up as a resource for their favorite show. In fact, the only negative I see to this (or any of the other Doctor Who sourcebooks) is that it focuses too much on the televised adventures. The best roleplaying-specific part of any of the write-ups is the Further Adventures portion at the end. I can't seer myself playing through any of the televised adventures, but I can and will use them as jumping off points for new adventures or sequels to the original. However, there may be some players out there that do want to play through their favorite episode. This book gives players options for continuing the Second Doctor's adventures and making them their own. Cubicle 7 has done a superb job once again of giving many Who fans a great sourcebook.

2 out of 5 rating for The Second Doctor Sourcebook

I loved the First Doctor Sourcebook, and I want to love this one as well. In many ways, the Second Doctor is my favorite: often underestimated, frequently panic stricken, Moe Howard-as-cosmic hobo come to save the day. But editing errors and garbled syntax make this promising volume fall far short of its promise. It will do, for a fan of the game, to give you some insight into the adventures of Troughton's Second Doctor, but unlike the First Doctor Sourcebook, the summaries of the episodes are often unclear to the point of being unusable as adventure seeds.

Remove ads