• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Skill Monkey's Skills

It's always worth putting 5 ranks in Jump, Balance and Tumble for the synergy bonuses. You can spare the points, and it's like getting a couple skill focus feats for free.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Nothing really needs maxed once you get past say 5th level. Start spreading out so that you arte pretty good at a lot of things.

I'd say that the core 4 rogue skills - Hide, Move Silently, Spot, and Listen - should stay maxed out. Most other skills are pretty good if you leave them at +10.

Timely Drought

First Post
LostSoul said:
I'd say that the core 4 rogue skills - Hide, Move Silently, Spot, and Listen - should stay maxed out. Most other skills are pretty good if you leave them at +10.
I wouldn't count spot and listen as core rogue skills. I would count search and disable device as core rogue skills, and open lock is useful if you don't want to rampage through a dungeon breaking down every locked door and busting open chests.

In fact I wouldn't invest much in spot and listen if another party member had them maxed. Maybe just fill them up to half.

snarfoogle

First Post
Shadowdancer said:
If you have K(L), you might already know a needed piece of information. So you don't have to go out and gather the information -- you already know it. Saves you time and money.

Yes, that's fine in your home town, but if you're in a seperate plane, I think gather information would be more useful, and so you could use the ranks of K(L) on something else for more variety.

Timely Drought

First Post
Probably going for this:

Code:
Human - Int 16 - Rogue 19 - Shadowdancer 1

Bluff                 20
disable device        23
Escape Artist         10
Gather information    10
Hide                  23
Intimidate            14
Listen                10
Move silently         23
open lock             20
perform (dance)        5
search                20
Sense motive          10
Sleight of hand       23
Spot                  10
Use Magic Device      23
Use rope               5
                     ---
No tumble since I'm going the archery / spring attack route. Thinking of getting decipher script at 5. Maybe putting two ability score increases in intelligence at 4 and 8 for a few more skill points.

Remove ads