• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General The Spirit of Bugaboo Lives On (Pro DMing)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I just ran my first for pay D&D session (not counting the times I got free or discounted GEN CON passes for running tournament games) - a one-shot with 4th level characters. It was a remote game via ZOOM. It went pretty well. đź’°đź’°đź’°

EDIT to add: Even though I am invoking the spirit of Bugaboo (old timers know who I mean), this is not a troll, but is 100% sincere. I really did get paid cash money to run a D&D game. Life is weird.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think it's pretty common these days (ironic, as Bugaboo used it as a joke) -- I know a few people who paid pro DMs, and I see ads for them on Facebook all the time. I've had mixed reports, but for the in-person stuff where the DM provided scenery and minis and elaborate handouts and stuff, it seemed worth the price for four hours' entertainment for four people.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Yes, back in the day Bugaboo's handle was kind of the joke in itself. The reaction to the idea of it made it clear that it was in fact one (a bugaboo that is).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There’s even articles in mainstream news outlets about pro DMs these days.

jgsugden

Legend
It sits wrong with me. I don't think I'd be comfortable paying for it, or being paid for it. I have no problem spending a small fortune to get all the props to make sure I can enjoy it to the fullest, and I definitely put in a lot of effort to make sure I know what I'm doing, but this is something I love doing, and love sharing with people that I really like. I think it takes something away from it when it turns into a business.

But that doesn't stop me from watching it on the internet.

ehenning

Explorer
It sits wrong with me. I don't think I'd be comfortable paying for it, or being paid for it. I have no problem spending a small fortune to get all the props to make sure I can enjoy it to the fullest, and I definitely put in a lot of effort to make sure I know what I'm doing, but this is something I love doing, and love sharing with people that I really like. I think it takes something away from it when it turns into a business.

But that doesn't stop me from watching it on the internet.

While it is always a personal decision, I truly believe that doing what you are passionate about as a job is one of the best ways to make a living (or at least some extra money)

Yes, there are challenges in making it a business, but the joy you get and give is worth the effort, I believe.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
That's gre
Check out The Game Academy. I've been working for them through 2020. We run weekly campaigns for 8-18 year olds, but we also run games for adults as well. I only run one game a week because I have another full time job, but most of the game masters run 3 or 4. My boss runs 6 weekly campaigns!
That's great! But the pay seems low - DMing is too much work for $10-$15 an hour - unless maybe you are paid for prep time too. I get they are a non-profit - so it probably can't be avoided. :(

Remove ads