D&D 5E The Sun Blade is a Lightsaber?

Lancelot

Adventurer
The original D&D lightsaber was the wand of force, first introduced in the classic module WG4 - Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun. The wand of force had two modes; use a charge to create an effect similar to otiluke's resilient sphere (trap a creature in a force bubble), and a secondary effect where you could spend a charge and a blade of blue-white light sprang forth from one end of the wand, which could then be wielding as a magical blade. Hard to get any more "on the nose" than that.

In 3e, the equivalent was the various radiant energy weapons. Unlike 4e and 5e (where radiant was simply a damage type, like necrotic or fire), the radiant energy blades specifically ignored armor bonuses to AC. In other words, they targeted the creature's Touch AC. This was also consistent with lightsabers - able to cut through virtually any substance, except for a few special materials like cortosis.

The 5e sunblade, by contrast, just seems to be a glowing magical sword to me. That's a pretty common fantasy trope. The lord of the fire giants from Norse myth, Surt (or Surtr), had a sword that glowed like the sun. Elvish blades glowed near orcs in Tolkein's works. I've read plenty of pulp fantasy where the hero has a magical blade that glows with a blinding light while the hero is in the thick of battle, or fighting an enemy that the sword was specifically designed to defeat. In any case, I certainly don't think the comparison is quite as obvious as the wand of force or radiant energy weapons.

Having said that, of course, if you want the sunblade to be a lightsaber, then a lightsaber it is! For optimal use, make sure the PC with the lightsaber is a Fighter / Monk / Sorcerer with the witchbolt spell prepared. "Now you will feel the power of the Dark Side, young Skywalker..."

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
The 5e sunblade, by contrast, just seems to be a glowing magical sword to me.
I think the comparison is due to the fact that the 5E weapon is only a sword hilt until it is grasped. Then a blade of light springs forth.

Note, however, that it doesn't cut through metal or other materials with any special aplomb. Nor does it deflect lasers better than other swords do. :)

I don't have the DMG yet, but it should still be simple to figure out.

Does it do 1dx slashing damage plus 1dx (fire or radiant)? Then it's a blade.

Does it do only 1dx (fire or radiant) damage? Then it's a light saber.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I don't have the DMG yet, but it should still be simple to figure out.

Does it do 1dx slashing damage plus 1dx (fire or radiant)? Then it's a blade.

Does it do only 1dx (fire or radiant) damage? Then it's a light saber.

I just looked, and it says it does radiant damage instead of slashing. Also re-read the description.

Basically, the sun blade went from being a sword that could emit light to being a lightsaber. Which is fine, I guess.

Scorpio616

First Post
Brilliant energy. The weapon type in 3.X was brilliant energy.

Sorry. That was bothering me.
Ugh. I did not care for the 3Era implementation of that. Made a chump of anything that did need armor, waste of enchantment against natural armor and literally useless against undead and constructs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases