• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Swords of Imarr: A low-level swords & sorcery game

S'mon

Legend
Fate Points - I'm using narrative Fate Points similar to those in the Conan RPG. PCs start with 3, most commonly they are used on the player's behalf for the PC to be 'left for dead' after losing a fight (a common occurrence at first level!). They can also be used by GM or on the player's request to get a 'lucky break' in a dire situation, eg help with escaping captivity, a sudden distraction & such. FPs can be gained for major achievements related to the PC's personality & goals, the GM can also award fate points at his discretion if the PC is "screwed over by fate", eg being arrested for a crime they didn't commit.

Faoiltiarna

First Post
Introduction

Hello All,

For those who don't know me, my name is Roxy. I will be playing Lady Faoiltiarna (Faoil) in Simon's game. Faoil is a longstanding character with a rather "detailed" and "complicated" history in Ea. I look forward to gaming with everyone. It feels good to be able to brush off the dust of Faoil and start playing her again.

Roxy

S'mon

Legend
The Swords of Imarr

Heavy Sword/ Broadsword: This is a 2-handed weapon with a broad blade of at least 4' length, some are 4'6" or more. Originally developed to cut the heads off enemy pikes, it makes a very effective man-killer and is a common primary weapon of knights and heavy infantry. This is the heaviest practical fighting sword, though ceremonial zweihanders of 6'+ length also exist. The 1st 12" of the blade on most heavy swords is blunt, allowing it to be gripped above the hilt. Uses D&D greatsword stats.

Bastard sword/Hand-and-a-half sword: This weapon is an uneasy compromise between broadsword & arming sword, with a blade typically 3'6" or so, it is most easily used two-handed, but can with training be an effective though unwieldly single-handed weapon. Unlike the heavy sword it is marginally concealable beneath a long cloak. Uses D&D bastard sword stats.

Sword/Arming Sword: This classic, perhaps somewhat archaic one-handed blade is typically around 2'6"-3' long, and is often used as a back-up weapon by knights and well-equipped soldiery. It is also favoured by practitioners of the 'Imarran' dueling style such as Erin Wist, which employs sword & buckler or sword & dagger. Uses D&D longsword stats.

Rapier: This light, narrow blade is edged but primarily employs a piercing point. Blades are typically up to 3' long. Rapiers are favoured by rogues and dandies, they are not generally considered a serious military weapon though in the hands of a skilled practitioner of the 'Bretanian' duelling style they can be exceptionally lethal. Uses D&D Rapier stats.

Short blade: This is more an oversized dagger than a true sword, with a blade of around 18". Short blades are relatively cheap and easily concealable, thus are often wielded by ruffians and vagabonds. Uses D&D shortsword stats.

S'mon

Legend
Arbalests - a progressive development of the heavy winch crossbow, Arbalests are restricted to military use only and may not be sold to private citizens, though they are occasionally available on the black market at considerable cost.

Light arbalest - the heaviest missile weapon that can be fired without a support, the light arbalest has a draw weight around 200lbs and takes 2 rounds to load by winch. They do 2d10 damage, with a range increment of 120'. They ignore 5 points of target armour.

Medium arbalest - the medium arbalest requires a light support 'foot' to fire from; although a strong man can carry both arbalest & support they are thus impractical as a skirmish weapon. The medium arbalest has a 300lb draw weight and does 3d10 damage, ignoring 8 points of target armour. They take 3 rounds to reload.

Heavy Arbalest - also known as the Siege Crossbow, this weapon is more a light ballista than a crossbow, it requires a heavy support 'foot' which requires its own bearer and is usually crewed by a two-man team on the battlefield. The heavy arbalest can easily kill a charging warhorse with a single shot. The heavy arbalest has a 400lb draw weight and does 4d10 damage, ignoring 10 points of target armour.. It takes 4 rounds to reload.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
rangerjohn said:
So I guess I should change my sheet to say, Hrothgar wields a broadsword. :)

Doesn't matter, you can call it a greatsword if you wish :) - just pointing out that the Imarran 'greatsword' isn't a 6' long monstrosity, the typical Imarran 'heavy sword' (D&D greatsword) has an 8" hilt and a blade of 4' or so, the bastard sword also has an 8" hilt suitable for two-handed use, but blade about 6" shorter. Likewise the 'arming sword' or longsword is more a backup or duellist weapon than a standard military weapon, which fits its relative power in 3e stats (back in AD&D the longsword was the best weapon, bar none!)

S'mon

Legend
BTW looks like game is pretty much full for now, with 2 more players hopefully about to start. I may take more later though, or even now if you have a particularly cool or unusual (and appropriate) PC concept - I have 4 mercenary sword-swinger PCs, why no barmaid PCs?! ;)

mps42

First Post
OOC Question

Both Alyx and Faoil have mentioned previous run-ins with the local law enforcement. Is this something that Denther would be aware of or not. My suspicion is that the answer is no because he only goes after those That Muulsh the moneylender or the constable (whose name I currently cant find or remember) directs...

Remove ads