The Teratologue is here!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I just downloaded my copy of the Trailblazer Teratologue, and am devouring it now. First impression: this is great!

One quick question to the developers though, just to make sure I'm understanding it correctly: Spine Ratio is the ratio between a monster's CR and Spine CR, right? So, for example, an astral deva (CR 14, Spine CR 5.75) has a Spine Ratio of 0.41 (meaning that it's a "swingy" monster)?

On a side note, I guess that with this, the line of Trailblazer products come to an end. That's really a shame, as I really enjoy these books; they give both insight and overhaul to my favorite game system.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I hope it isn't the last. I still hold hope to see a Trailblazer spells and magic book someday. ;)

But I can see how a book this scale can suck one dry. I only helped a little bit to try and catch errors of design, formatting, and some stat block math but the work Chris and Ben did was epic.

AdmundfortGeographer

Is a low Spine Ratio indicative it could be swingy? Here is a relevant quote...

"On the other hand; if the Spine Ratio is less than 1.0, the creature will be less resilient than expected for its CR. Most monsters will naturally fall somewhere between 1.0 and 0.6. If the ratio is much lower—in the range of 0.3 to 0.6— you may be dealing with a “glass cannon.” Such creatures may have special abilities that can be particularly unpredictable, dangerous, or difficult for adventurers to deal with: spells, spell-like abilities, poison, breath weapons, damage reduction, energy drain, special movement modes such as flight, and so forth. A failed saving throw one way or another can swing the entire fight."​

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
1) My first child is due in about 4 weeks. So my time will be limited like never before.

2) I know that Chris is frazzled, and yet... He still has stuff he wants to release. Some stuff I cut, and some new stuff he wants to do.

3) Notwithstanding #1, I'd still like to re-release TB in 8.5x11 format (which CreateSpace did not offer when it was first published). At that time I might try to roll in Spells and Magic Items so the SRD would be complete.

4) Yes, the astral deva could be swingy. More than half his CR is invested in non-HD, non-BAB, non-Save abilities. ;)

AdmundfortGeographer

Ooo dear, expecting a kid? Congrats!

I was able to make my edits while my daughter, now 2, was napping or sleeping. I caught some evil glares from my wife if I tried while my baby girl was awake. ;) I could squeeze in some time better when she was stuck in her bouncy seat, but as soon as she went mobile my options were limited to naptime.

Good luck!

Are a Teratologue-format of the Lethids on the distant horizon?

GlassJaw

Hero
I just downloaded my copy of the Trailblazer Teratologue, and am devouring it now. First impression: this is great!

Thanks Alzrius! That really means a lot.

One quick question to the developers though, just to make sure I'm understanding it correctly: Spine Ratio is the ratio between a monster's CR and Spine CR, right? So, for example, an astral deva (CR 14, Spine CR 5.75) has a Spine Ratio of 0.41 (meaning that it's a "swingy" monster)?

Correct. That means the deva's "physical" combat capability and staying power is roughly equivalent to a Dire Bear or a Stone Giant. The bulk of the rest of its CR is invested in its spell-like abilities. The trick with using creatures like this is whether or not it will be able to bring to bear all of its special abilities. You (and the party) know exactly what a dire bear is going to be doing every turn. The more of its special abilities the deva is able to use over the course of combat, the more return on investment it gets from its CR.

And this is where action points provide you with another "drainable" resource: if you want to drain the party's hit points and healing ability, throw a creature with a CR:Spine ratio close to 1:1. If you want to drain their APs, use a creature with a ratio of 2:1 or more.

On a side note, I guess that with this, the line of Trailblazer products come to an end. That's really a shame, as I really enjoy these books; they give both insight and overhaul to my favorite game system.

Never say never. :p Ben and I have a lot of ideas strewn about that we would certainly like to release. I suspect if we do something again, it probably won't be on Kickstarter, or at least not without making sure we have a good chunk of the work done.

GlassJaw

Hero
I know that Chris is frazzled, and yet... He still has stuff he wants to release. Some stuff I cut, and some new stuff he wants to do.

Are a Teratologue-format of the Lethids on the distant horizon?

:cool:

I'm pushing hard for a Teratologue cutting-room-floor addendum PDF (which would be free), although it would require some layout work from Ben. I'll def post an update once we have a timeline on when that might happen. I'd like to get it done "soon".

AdmundfortGeographer

I'm pushing hard for a Teratologue cutting-room-floor addendum PDF (which would be free), although it would require some layout work from Ben. I'll def post an update once we have a timeline on when that might happen. I'd like to get it done "soon".
You know I'm here to give another set of eyeballs to catch things if any plan moves forward.

Remove ads