D&D 5E The Ultimate Guide to Helping Your Players Role Play

DMSage

First Post
The checks are shorthand for writing out the RP, not just for "some reason ". But that ignores the larger point I was trying to make. Why is it not okay for the cleric to "block" the rogue, but it IS okay (practically required by your arguments ) for the DM to block the cleric?

Neither rogue nor cleric indicated an "approach ", but the DM in the example guves the rogue a free pass. The cleric indicated a clear intention to STOP the rogue BEFORE he caused trouble by lifting the king's purse. He didn't ask to argue with the rogue about it after the fact and try to convince him to put it back. This clearly to me sets up a contest or series of contests which yhe DM can then explain via skill rolls.

But no, Mr. Rogue, go have your fun. Cleric, you're SOL. Thanks for playing. Buh-bye.

It's just a tool to consider. I often see things like the barbarian saying, I take off running after him. And the party all yells "NO!" and then they discuss it for ten minutes and the barbarian retracts his idea.
More fun and adding to the RP would be.
Barbarian "I take off running after him"
Halfling rogue, "no, I stop him"
DM "the barbarian still in his rage starts running after your enemy. The halfling jumps on his leg, getting drug along for twenty steps before the barbarian even realizes he's there."

Even if the barbarian does decide to get some sense talked into him you can add a lot more character to the scene by taking care of it in game, instead of just voting as players not to do that thing.

Remove ads