The Unified Theory of Gnomes

Irda Ranger

First Post
Wepwawet said:
And there are many ways to be heroic. You don't need to literally kick some butts to be a hero.
Yes, but it is a design goal of the 4E designers that PC's do not have to "take turns" having fun. Everyone should be relevant to all encounters.

Whereas, if the Gnome is in the middle of out-smarting a tribe of orcs, the other classes will have little to do. Similarly in a heavy melee the Gnome would be left out.

Wepwawet said:
Probably this idea is just a consequence of the game favoring combat while leaving role-playing behind.
Dead wrong. The game is NOT leaving role-playing behind. We absolutely know that they are providing "social encounter" rules and "extended Diplo" rules. Further (and this goes for ALL editions of D&D, and other games as well), if there isn't enough roleplaying at the table to suit you, that's your and your DM's fault; not the game's. There's no rule in the book that says (or could be enforced) "Don't even try convincing the Baron to lend the party horses; it's against the rules."

Combat and other "objective outcome" events are the game engine's responsibility. Roleplaying is the character/player's responsibility.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
When gnomes come out for 4E they will have rainbow mohawks, stingers instead of full beards, and ride around on dinosaurs in the feywild.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
And I thought the gnome history was the same as the Halflings and Dwarves.

2002-04-25.jpg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
From another thread, a post that nicely encapsulates the idea:
Irda Ranger said:
I get the impression that if UT-Gnomes ever had a full blown nation, most people wouldn't even know it was there; of if they suspected, all the details would be wrong.

I can just picture now an adventurer wandering through some woodland and suddenly a Gnome appears: "Ok, look here pal." says the Gnome "We've tried to do this the easy way by presenting you with easier paths to walk down, but you keep picking the hard ones. You've deliberately avoided every inviting elven camp we led you to. You've ignored and dragon spoor dropping we left lying on this road, and even avoided that one orc encampment when we thought reverse-psychology would get us somewhere. I don't know how or why you're doing it, or if you are deliberately seeking the Gnomish settlements, but it's gotta stop. Go back."

"But I am seeking King Peldypants of Frugalforn. I believe I have been in the Kingdown of Frugalforn's lands for the last two days. Yes?" replied the Man.

"No such king, no such country. We just told that Sage a tall tale to make him happy and go away. The fact is, there's no kingdom at all here. You're just too close to a small gnomish village, and we don't like it."

(Several more minutes of arguing ensues. Eventually the Man leaves, frustrated.)

After silence has fallen on the glade for several minutes, another Gnome sticks his head out of a bush. "Did the Man leave?"

"I think so. Go tell King Kuldorkins the same. He'll want to know."

"Good. I didn't like how he was standing right in the middle of town like that. That was too close."

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I play in Ptolus, where gnomes and halflings are explicitly two branches of the same race (and both are technically a type of elf). Baeril forever goes around asking if people have read his favorite book, Letters to the Quickling, which, he explains is a book in halfling (called "quickling faen" in Ptolus) from the creator god of the gnomes, attempting to bring them back into the light, dogmatically speaking.

Of course, it's a little more complicated than that, and Baeril is actually testing everyone he meets:
Our campaign wiki said:
A series of letters from the priesthood of Garl Glittergold written in Halfling to a nomadic band of quickling faen in Rhoth. The letters are written as though Garl himself were the author, and the book is sometimes called Garl's Letters to the Quickling.

The book spells out a philosophy for gnomish life, where illusion is woven into the fabric of every day life. Early on in the Letters, "Garl" describes gnomes and halflings as rabbits, living in a hillside surrounded by bears, wolves, giant snakes and other predators. The halfling hares attempt to escape the bigger and more dangerous races around them by outrunning them. In the end, though, the halflings are cornered or simply run to ground and consumed. In contrast, the gnome rabbits dig hole after hole in the hill, riddling it with countless numbers of false dens, confusing the predators, who search endlessly for the true gnomish lairs. In the interim, the gnome rabbits move into a hollow tree overlooking the hill, where none of their predators think to look for them at all.

To "Garl," illusions are a way to protect gnomes from their numerous enemies, but illusions should not be limited to hiding their homes and communities. Instead, he argues, gnomes should develop entirely false communities, identities and personalities. The unknown authors suggest that gnomes are much more numerous than they are commonly believed to be, but many of them either live in communities entirely hidden from the outside world or appear to be members of other races, such as halflings, dwarves, kobolds or goblins.

The book is seen as representing a fairly extreme viewpoint by many worshippers of Garl Glittergold, but some argue that it's much more influential within the gnomish (and perhaps halfling) communities than outsiders will ever know.
The moment Baeril finds someone who's read the book and understands that it's actually a guide for life, and not a political satire or a book of children's stories, he knows that he's foudn someone he's going to have to watch very closely. For the most part, though, no one bothers with the book or, if they do, they misunderstand it pretty severely, which is all to the good.

Badkarmaboy

First Post
withak said:
That description is full of win. I will be using gnomes just like this IMC.

That said, I agree with Jinete. This sort of flavor doesn't seem to mesh well with what 4e wants out of its PCs. This sort of gnome isn't "heroic" enough, at least not in the ass-kicking sense. That said, there is no way I would discourage a player from creating a gnome of exactly this sort to use as a PC. It'd be way too much fun.

It will be interesting to see what kind of flavor gnomes get in the 4e MM.

That was a splendid description, I loved it.

No matter what 4e "wants" out of my PC...I reckon I'll just make what I want and go with it from there.

There is no reason that this type of flavor could not be part of 4e. There will always be room for RP and cool backstory.

Driddle

First Post
epochrpg said:
When gnomes come out for 4E they will have rainbow mohawks, stingers instead of full beards, and ride around on dinosaurs in the feywild.

That would so totally RAWK!!! :cool:

... :( And yet, I'm still not sensing a unified racial "focus" thingy that so many people have been whining about lately. Sure, they've got the rainbow mohawk-feywild dinosaur synergy going on, but after that they would seem to lose cohesion. I mean, like, are your envisioned 4th edition gnomes designed to be battlefield-manipulating ranger types or striker spellswords or ego-flatulating janitors or what?

I'm hoping that by v5.5, someone will have developed an easy-to-remember, three-word stereotype description that will give gnomes a home again in the PHB.

The Little Raven

First Post
epochrpg said:

And even that is a marked improvement over their previous portrayal, which was "too elvish to be a dwarf, and to dwarvish to be an elf and too short to be anything else."

Mercule

Adventurer
Hmm.... Now I have a good reason to keep gnomes IMC.

Heck, it gives me a good reason to add halflings back in: they exist only as cover for gnomes. The only reason halflings still exist as a race is because the gnomes have marginally protected them as part of the smokescreen.

I'm not a big fan of either smaller race, but I am absolutely astounded that WotC would keep halflings over gnomes. When I matured enough as a GM to realize I didn't have to keep everything in the PHB, halflings were the first thing to go.

Edit: I don't hate halflings or anything. They aren't interesting enough to hate. Now, kender: those I hate. Tinker gnomes, too. Dragonlance is a shining example of how some campaigns have some cool ideas for within that framework, but the ideas really don't port well. Then again, ticker gnomes were lame, even in Dragonlance.

Last edited:

The Little Raven

First Post
Mercule said:
I'm not a big fan of either smaller race, but I am absolutely astounded that WotC would keep halflings over gnomes.

You're surprised that Wizards would keep an icon of modern fantasy (halflings) over a race that has inconsistent portrayals depending on the source?

Remove ads