D&D (2024) The Variant-variant Human:

Horwath

Legend
Since latest two UA's, we had a bonus feat added via background, and in latest we had 2nd feat added at level 4, we might see the end of Variant human with bonus feat and Custom race with bonus feat as an option.
And default human is both bland and weak.

So a possible variant that gives flexibility to humans and makes them as powerful as new racial lineages and most of the PHB races.

HUMAN:

Abilities: +2 to one ability and +1 to another. Or +1 to three abilities.

Languages: Common

Skilled: gain proficiency in two skills of your choice

Tools of the trade: gain 4 proficiency in any combination of languages, tools or weapons.

Hidden talent: gain expertise in one skill or tool that you have proficiency in.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It definitely would make them the skill monkey race. Perhaps too much focus in one direction for my taste. I wouldn't mind giving them something unique like many other races. Proficiency in a weak save (STR, INT, CHR) off the top of my head to show that humans adapt to overcome adversity.

Sorry, don't want to come in and just be negative - I thnk you have the right idea of making humans interesting, just this proposal is too focused one way - if you aren't focusing on playing a skill monkey this human won't appeal.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
It definitely would make them the skill monkey race. Perhaps too much focus in one direction for my taste. I wouldn't mind giving them something unique like many other races. Proficiency in a weak save (STR, INT, CHR) off the top of my head to show that humans adapt to overcome adversity.

Sorry, don't want to come in and just be negative - I thnk you have the right idea of making humans interesting, just this proposal is too focused on way - if you aren't focusing on playing a skill monkey this human won't appeal.
it's not negative.
But I was thinking about humans as versatile.
having more skills/tools/languages/weapons all going towards humans being good at what they decide to be good at.
One bonus expertise also describes that.

I was thinking about bonus saves or proficiency in death saves, but that seems too focused.

aco175

Legend
Maybe it would default to giving them the +1 to all abilities and then you get the feat on top.

Must. love. power creep...

Horwath

Legend
Maybe it would default to giving them the +1 to all abilities and then you get the feat on top.

Must. love. power creep...
+1 to all abilities is so meh.

maybe if it is +2 to one ability and +1 to four abilities, one ability gets nothing. Just because you want that 8 in one ability and 17 in your primary. +1 to 3 extra abilites might be good enough to replace all mentioned in my 1st post.
But that is just boring.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
+1 to all abilities is so meh.

maybe if it is +2 to one ability and +1 to four abilities, one ability gets nothing. Just because you want that 8 in one ability and 17 in your primary. +1 to 3 extra abilites might be good enough to replace all mentioned in my 1st post.
But that is just boring.
Agreed +1 to all abilities is meh. I've gotten into arguments with people about alternate rolling methods where they are talking about the total bonuses or sum of the scores, reminding them that 5e rewards specialization in a prime and secondary ability scores, and for some characters a 3rd, much more than it values your 4th, 5th or 6th highest.

Hmm, you really want to shake things up, give them just ability score mods and +1 to proficiency. What they are good at, they are good at. That's worth a +1 to your prime ability it terms of hitting and/or spell DCs, all trained proficiencies, is a huge deal for expertise if you want to make a skill monkey. And like other racial abilities, it's a big deal at low levels and still relevant but not as huge a deal at higher levels.

Li Shenron

Legend
Well, the more flexible and powerful character creation rules become, the less relevant the specific race is, especially when the race itself has always been built around the concept of... being flexible.

In theory, with expertise you hit the nail on the last remaining "generic" ability that can redeem the (mechanical) attractiveness of choosing human as your character race. Because expertise is indeed generic enough to stick with human's versatility concept, but is also uncommon enough so that it immediately creates a reason to choose human: only Rogues get it at 1st level, Bards at 3rd, and Ranger gets something similar under a different name and some limitations. If human loses its uniqueness of getting a feat at 1st level, it could regain it with expertise.

However, if you allow Tasha, everybody can now also get expertise at 1st level by taking the Skill Expert feat. So in a single flick of the wrist (bonus feat to everyone at 1st level) they removed the only human unique advantage and prevented another.

Maybe that Death Save proficiency is something to look forward, otherwise something even more dramatic. For example what about the possibility to re-train anything on your character sheet on a long rest? Or to recharge something once a day on a short rest instead of a long rest (like regaining a spell slot or a daily usage of something)?

Horwath

Legend
Well, the more flexible and powerful character creation rules become, the less relevant the specific race is, especially when the race itself has always been built around the concept of... being flexible.

In theory, with expertise you hit the nail on the last remaining "generic" ability that can redeem the (mechanical) attractiveness of choosing human as your character race. Because expertise is indeed generic enough to stick with human's versatility concept, but is also uncommon enough so that it immediately creates a reason to choose human: only Rogues get it at 1st level, Bards at 3rd, and Ranger gets something similar under a different name and some limitations. If human loses its uniqueness of getting a feat at 1st level, it could regain it with expertise.

However, if you allow Tasha, everybody can now also get expertise at 1st level by taking the Skill Expert feat. So in a single flick of the wrist (bonus feat to everyone at 1st level) they removed the only human unique advantage and prevented another.

Maybe that Death Save proficiency is something to look forward, otherwise something even more dramatic. For example what about the possibility to re-train anything on your character sheet on a long rest? Or to recharge something once a day on a short rest instead of a long rest (like regaining a spell slot or a daily usage of something)?
I get what you mean with Skill expertise being available at 1st level to everyone. But hey, you still have one MORE expertise than others if you take it.

and proficiency in death saves would be unique, but really? You want to drop (almost) dead for you to use your racial?
That kind of sucks.

+1 to proficiency bonus would be really too much. That is legendary item.

maybe;
+1 to one ability and +1 to proficiency.

that is it.
and that is even more bland :D

Remove ads