The Whiterock Castle Campaign- Nothing better than a good old sausage in you.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
yes, yes, Annnnd, then what!? =-)

You're fast running out of additional posts... but to put you out of your misery... well, this isn't going to help one bit.

Turn 26. “Nobody bothered the Halflings”

Fandango turned out to be another of the Pre-Gens that was briefly accepted into the lives of our intrepid adventurers, and just as swiftly booted out again- she may be back, then again, she may not.

Hibberd however is here to stay.

The Order of Twilight grew from necessity - mages of the shadow, whose sole purpose was to defeat the enemies of the then threatened Halfling tribes. They were purposeful, powerful, and feared by many… including some of the Halflings they were trained to protect.

Which may account for the next part of the story.

And then they just… disappeared, as swiftly as they formed . . . or so the stories say.

Half a millennium flew by, in centuries and during exciting times for the Halflings- decades, nothing much happened.

Oh certainly in the big folk’s lands empires were built, humbled, crumbled, sacked, re-built and smashed again. Kings came and went, like the seasons- powerful beasts roamed the land visiting death and destruction to all that stood in their way, which once again, were predominantly the big folk.

The Halflings perfected the Seven Sisters, a scone big enough to feed… well, seven. They handed down their victories in battle, their most common foe the fish of the river, which grew bigger by the generation.

They made honey, and jam, and preserves, and pickles, and beers, and wines, and spirits, and cigars, and shoes, and… merry.

Nobody bothered the Halflings, and the Halflings bothered nobody, and thus was the balance preserved.

Even unto this day.

Hibberd found the book when she was only twelve, hidden in a small compartment below her mother’s deathbed, the runes on its pages made no sense. They seemed to move about when she tried reading them, confuse the viewer, bringing nothing but eye strain and headaches. But to a Halfling, slight for her race, continually bullied, and with few friends, this link to her mother somehow held her.

She persevered, for years, until one day a single word could be read - ‘Twilight’.

As time passed Hibberd’s devotion to deciphering the book brought its rewards- slowly though, interminably slowly. As each page has revealed itself to her, her power has multiplied- what started as a doubt has grown to a certainty. There’s something deep inside her, some empty space, some well that she can feel in her head, in her heart and more often in the pit of her stomach- a power to call on, if only she knew the words, all of the words.

She knows that she must use this power, grow into it, continue to apply herself, to study the book. For only the first few pages are clear to her, and there is much, much more held within.

Richard Rawen

First Post
See now, that was fantastic stuff, had me wanting to log onto my lil halfling rogue on DDO and do some skulking around :)
It also puts my DM ears atingle... I have a halfling rogue/ranger (power-gamer) in my tabletop group that will have some fun rp opportunities soon :)
Thanks!

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
See now, that was fantastic stuff, had me wanting to log onto my lil halfling rogue on DDO and do some skulking around :)
It also puts my DM ears atingle... I have a halfling rogue/ranger (power-gamer) in my tabletop group that will have some fun rp opportunities soon :)
Thanks!

I had a Halfling Rogue/Ranger in DDo for a good while, loved the little chap; fell out of love with DDo though, too quickly, and with a bump.

More of the same...

Turn 27. “You’re one of them.”

Castle Whiterock: The Upper Ruins of Castle Whiterock (Eventually).

“You have to, really- you must.” Brianna is insistent, and she has money, which for some of the adventurers is all that matters, that and the thought of returning to Cillamar victorious and hailed as heroes.
“Moradin has sent this poor Elven-ish woman into our midst brethren so that we may alleviate her suffering.” Cestode concludes.
Hibberd grins, she’s up for anything that smells like adventure, “I’m game.”
“Good lad.” Cestode gives Hibberd a chuck on the arm.
“Lad? I’m a girl.” Hibberd looks a little put out.
“Well get a hair cut then.” Cestode fires back.
“If there are people that are trapped there- slaves, like you say, then I’ll go, and I’ll find this friend of yours, if it’s the last thing I do.” Twiglet slams his tankard down on the table- he’s developing a mean streak, and he sure knows right from wrong.
“Stout Dwarf Twiggy.” Cestode adds.
“You too.” He replies without a smile.
“Count me in.” Gina smirks, and then wonders why.
Grungarak nods.
“So that’s settled Brian.” Cestode stands and proffers a hand.
“It’s Brianna actually.” The Half-Elf songstress shakes Cestodes hand.
“If you say so.” Cestode has the last word.

They watch Brianna head over to the bar, soon she’s deep in conversation with Lady Chauntessa the owner of the Slumbering Drake.

“Bit moody.” Cestode interrupts the silence.
“Her friend…” Gina starts.
“Sapphira.” Twiglet helps out.
“Sapphira, is missing- you’d be on edge, worried, imagine if you lost someone you loved.” Gina ends the conversation.

Cestode makes his excuses, heads back to his room.

The others stay up a while longer, although not too late, early to bed- early to rise, and they need to be on the road by dawn so they can be back in Whiterock while there’s still plenty of light left in the day- just in case.

They all get a good nights rest, except maybe one, who twists and turns in his sleep- haunted by dreams, he resolves, tomorrow to write a letter home, tell his dad, and his mum, and even his sister, who against his better judgement he misses also- that all is well, that he’s doing good, that he’s trying to make friends.

Sleep eventually takes Cestode.

And the next day they are back at Whiterock, this time on horseback, although for the smaller members of the group make that ponyback.

The place is exactly as they left it, which is a relief, although nobody says it. They find spaces in the stables and leave enough feed and water within reach so that the mounts will not go without, at least for a couple of days. They bar the doors from the outside and head round to the keep and the door they found that goes down into the castle dungeon itself.

Hibberd suddenly pulls up short, she’s a little ahead of the others making her way from shadow to shadow, Cestode’s having trouble keeping her in sight.
“She’s good.” He murmurs.
“What’s that?” Twiglet asks.
“Nothing.” Cestode smiles.

“There’s something going on- listen.” Hibberd states.
So they do, all stand statue for a moment- there’s the sound of a dog, a dog with a sore throat by the sound of things- barking, enraged.

Then another sound- guttural, speech of some sort.
“What’s”, Twiglet begins.
“Orcs.” Grungarak confirms and snarls, he hefts his axe and heads over the first pile of rubble and directly towards the sound.
“Where’s he…” Hibberd starts up, and then joins the end of the queue; all of the adventurers grab their weapons and head off looking for a fight.

They don’t have long to wait.

The grand hall, the one that was not so grand, in the centre of which are three of the hugest Orcs that any of them have ever seen, not that any of them have seen many, if any, Orcs before- except for Half-Orcs, like Grungarak. Huge pale skinned beasts all knotted muscles, each of them armoured, and armed with huge morning stars and heavy crossbows slung on their backs.

“Wait a minute”, Cestode states, “you’re…”

Beyond the Orcs is a dog, a very big dog, a very ugly dog it seems to be fighting with a monstrous centipede, the multi-legged terror is nearly four feet long, it’s also losing the fight- quickly and badly.

And soon it’s no more, the hound crunches through the multi-segmented carapace, wolfs it down- poison glands and all.

“You’re one of them.” Cestode declares.

Grungarak straightens, out of his creeping crouch, steps into the hall and barks one word, “death”, in Orcish, and then half-trots half-runs into the pack of Orcs.

CRUNCH

The first is down and dead, missing much of the right side of its body before the others know what’s hit them.

Twiglet and Cestode motor over, filling the air with their screams- which is enough to break the spirit of the remaining two Orcs, they attempt to run back to the door. Grungarak gives chase, leaving the two Dwarfs facing the huge hound which charges straight for them.

CHUNG

Gina’s crossbow bolt misses the oncoming hound by quite a margin, and the devil dog bowls into Cestode, knocking the Paladin of Moradin back, and nearly over, and taking a bite from his arm in the process. The dwarves swing their axes in unison, both bite deep into the beast, nearly crippling it, the battle is joined, the pair back-pedal as the hound comes again.

“It’s healing.” Gina calls, and sure enough the massive gash that Twiglet inflicted is now less than half the size it was.

Hibberd meanwhile crouches and runs around the outside of the hall, trying to remain out of sight to get closer to the fleeing Orcs, the first of which realises almost too late that it cannot outrun the Half-Orc Ranger and so spins round to meet its foe.

CLANG

Their huge weapons clash and leave both combatants shuddering from the force of the blow. Grungarak is the first however to recover, just by a second or two, but that’s all the time he needs- his greataxe slams into the side of the Orc, severs arteries, breaks ribs, crushes organs- the Orc slumps to the floor dead.

The hound snaps its jaws shut, this time on Twiglet’s hand, wrenches and shakes, brings the stumbling Dwarf to his knees.

“Nooooo.” The beast dances back and then leaps in slavering jaws sent to butcher him.

FWUNCH

That is until Cestode shuffles slightly to the side of the beast and brings his greataxe down with enough force to sever the things spine, the second blow takes care of business.

“Thanks. You saved me.” Twiglet grins.
“Moradin preserve you Twiggy, we’ll fight together to the bitter end.” Cestode replies, and dashes off after the remaining Orc who even now is making his way over the pile of loose rocks, the home straight, at the bottom of the pile is the door they discovered last time, the door to the Orcs domain.

FWUNG

Hibberd’s hand crossbow fires, the dart it fires is tiny, and yet…

Thuck

It buries itself in the last Orcs back in the place he cannot reach, no matter how hard he tries, and he tries- just before he slumps onto the pile of broken stone- dead.

“Good work young lad.” Cestode can’t help himself, he’s impressed, he may have to buy a crossbow one day.
“I’m not a lad, I’m a…” Hibberd calls back.
“Haircut.” Cestode snaps back.

Silence for a while, just the sound of the adventurers collecting their thoughts, healing their wounds, and rifling through the pockets of the dead Orcs for bounty- they find a handful of gold coins.

The door ahead, their destination, is closed still.

Richard Rawen

First Post
I had a Halfling Rogue/Ranger in DDo for a good while, loved the little chap; fell out of love with DDo though, too quickly, and with a bump.

Soon Mod 9 should be along... maybe a month or two. It will raise the cap to 20th level... make a few other major changes to subscribers...
and go Free To Play!
Check it out! DDO FreePlay!

Anyways, looking forward to more of the gang, having a blast reading :)

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Soon Mod 9 should be along... maybe a month or two. It will raise the cap to 20th level... make a few other major changes to subscribers...
and go Free To Play!
Check it out! DDO FreePlay!

Anyways, looking forward to more of the gang, having a blast reading :)

Alas I also no longer have the time to play DDO, my bro still plays but not often. Truth be told I want someone to make Vandal Hearts from the PS1 with 4e rules and a dungeon design package to serve as a gaming table, I think I'd re-prioritise my whole life if they did that.

Turn 28. “Bugger.”

The Slave Pits of Despair

For the stat conscious, and just to keep up with the play, our happy band now consists of-

Grungarak, Half-Orc Ranger 2
Twiglet Dwarven Fighter 2
Gina Gnome Cleric of Garl Glittergold 2
Cestode Dwarven Paladin of Moradin 2
Hibberd Halfling Wizard/Rogue 1/1

And so into the depths we go…

Or rather we would if I could get them down there.

“So what is it?” Twiglet asks again.
“A foul demon hound sent to destroy Dwarves, am I alone in noticing the way it avoided the Half-Orc and made straight for me and Twiggy- certainly it must have some sort of sixth sense, able to instinctively target the greatest threat- me. Oh and Twiggy.” Cestode offers his opinion.
“Mmm. If you say so- I think it’s a dog that can regenerate, like a Troll, a Dog-Troll- that’s it… most likely.” Gina states.

The adventurers stare a while longer at the destroyed Dog-Troll.

“Hope there’s not many more of them.” Twiglet adds.
“If there is then we shall stand together Twiggy, they cannot hope to challenge us with our combined strength.” Cestode adds, and then some more- “we make a great team, you and me.”

The group break up, saunter over the rubble pile, head for the door they discovered last time they were here.

“He’s a bit full of himself.” Gina whispers to Twiglet.
“Mmm. He’s got a lovely beard though.” Twiglet whispers back and looks a little wistful.

Then they’re at the stairs- Hibberd leads the way.

Quietly the Halfling takes a wander down, all the time scanning the steps for anything amiss, it’s a wonder then that she doesn’t spot the tripwire across the stairs about half-way down.

“Bugger.” The Halfling tumbles over and is back on her feet in seconds, just a bruised elbow to show for the encounter, and a dented ego.

However she keeps the noise to a minimum- there are voices below, gruff voices- Orcs. Hibberd cuts the wire and signals for the others to come forward- quietly.

They make their way down.

“Orcs.” Grungarak whispers.
“Five.” He adds.
“Or more.” He finishes.

The others nod and signal for Hibberd to move on, she shuffles forward again, taking extra care.

And fails to spot the second tripwire.

Luckily the rope does nothing more than snag her foot, arresting her descent for no more than a moment, she cuts it away, then signals to the others to move forward, which they do.

However this time the spell is broken, it has to be said the adventurers are not the quietest bunch, at the bottom of the stairs a huge Orc suddenly appears, he must have heard them.

“For Moradin.” Cestode is underway.
“Likewise.” Twiglet snapping at his heels.

The sturdy Dwarves take the last few steps at a gallop and thump into the Orc guard, greataxes to the fore, the Orc is near sliced in two, the pair spill into the chamber beyond.

This chamber is huge, a guardroom of sorts. There’s a door centred in the east wall and another door located on the south wall. A table with four battered chairs is along the north wall. A three-foot-high haphazard pile of rocks forms a crude wall about 20 feet long positioned in the southeast corner of the room. Five bestial humanoids with porcine features, Whiterock Orcs, rush to defend the room. Their skin is pasty white and they have unkempt white-grey hair. Two leap up from the table and advance with glaives while the other three take cover behind the makeshift wall hoisting heavy crossbows into position.

THUNG-CHUNG-DUNG

All three bolts are aimed straight at Cestode, not one of them pierces his armour the last ricochets of his helm and embeds itself in the stone ceiling.

“Thank fecking Moradin.” Cestode applies a wonky grin and checks himself all over for leaks.

Then the Orcs with glaives arrive, and are met with reach weapons- the skirmish is brief and at the end of it both Orcs lie dead, Twiglet has a nasty cut along his right arm.

In the midst of the chaos Grungarak bounds into the room with his bow ready.

FWUNG

One of the Orcs behind the low wall bites the dust, Gina follows in and quickly applies her healing hands to Twiglet’s wound.

Which only leaves two Orcs left, the first struggles to reload his heavy crossbow, the second hefts his glaive and charges around the low wall- only to be met by a pair of killer Dwarfs, the Orc holds out for a while, blocks several blows but is soon reduced to a bloody mess.

Hibberd is quickly to the door on the south wall, it’s the nearest, the Halfling presses his ear against it- concentrates, blocking out the noise in the room.

The last Orc offers little in the way of resistance, Grungarak’s arrow misses by inches but its enough to terrify the creature and cause it to drop its crossbow, it scrambles for its glaive, and screams- “no kill”, in Orcish.

Grungarak however has other ideas he spills his bow and unleashes his greataxe, then rumbles towards the creature, the Orc has few options, it chooses to try and dive across the low wall, it choose badly and ends up halfway across the obstacle and sans its head.

“There’s something coming.” Hibberd half-call half-whispers, “something big- NOW.”

“Form up, around the door, don’t let it enter the chamber.” Cestode calls and all except Hibberd rumble into position, the Halfling is hidden from sight to the side of the door.

The door flies open.
“Who’s makin’ der noise?”
“It’s a feckin’ Minotaur.” Twiglet turns as white as a ghost.

And that's the last of them- no really, no more.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Regardless, I think they got killed by the minotaur.

I agree with the Baron, who'd be foolish enough to argue with a Mind Flayer, I do however remember DMing them through another four levels of Whiterock, last sessions I remember saw them being strangled by giant kelp while attacked by a vey large Gar (Pike?).

However that may have been my imagination- it's famous for it.

Cheers Paul

Richard Rawen

First Post
Heh, well there has to be an end, and chopped to bits by a mino is not so uncommon - yet there's glory there... sorta :p

Thanks for sharing your storyhour Goonalan, maybe I'll get off my duff and post some of my stuff some day :)
Hey! you have another story somewhere... where I can further harass you! :) Onward!

Last edited:

Remove ads