There's a new version of Battlegrounds RPG Edition

heruca

Explorer
BRPG v1.6j has just been released. It is available both as a Full Install and as a patch for v1.6i.

Download BRPG v1.6j and read more about it here.

heruca

Explorer
BRPG v1.6k has been released. It is currently available only as a patch for v1.6j, but a Full Install version is expected to be available soon.

Download v1.6k and read more about it here.

heruca

Explorer
BRPG v1.6m has just been released. It is currently available only as a patch for BRPG v1.6k or v1.6L.

Download v1.6m and read more about it here.

I read on your site that battlegrounds can be used remotely with a group. I've been looking for a VTT that will work for my group...

We've used maptools in the past, but have consistently had connection issues, including being able to connect at all, port forwarding issues, and icons showing up as question marks. But I'm not here to complain about other programs (just to let you know the problems I've had for the relevant questions in this post).

We LOVED the program when it workedm though. I've researched a number of VTTs and haven't found another one that did everything it did for our needs (mainly map creation and fog of war as well as a "vision layer" that could be dependent upon characters).

It seems like your program does do this!!! I'm pretty excited to find out more, and was wondering what you can tell me about how nationwide connections work for your program (even pointing me to the relevant part of your website), what "technical support" might be like (even if that's forum based cooperative support), and what kind of files are shared via the program (sound? chat channels? etc).

I'll look into these questions myself of course, but I wanted to say that it looks like you have a pretty awesome VTT going on there, one that could potentially save my group's game (or resurrect it, more accurately).

Thanks for your time.

heruca

Explorer
Battlegrounds requires the GM (only) to set up port forwarding if the GM is behind a router. Setting up port forwarding is pretty easy, and if you have a static IP address it only needs to be done once. Those who have no way of controlling port-forarding (e.g., hotel guests, or students in some college dorms) can use a free VPN program like Hamachi to get around this.

Battlegrounds automatically sends the players any media assets they need, including maps, tokens, portraits, visual aids, and short audio clips. Visual aids and audio clips that are larger than 2MB (uncompressed) will need to be distributed to the players prior to the game session. Battlegrounds lets the GM easily create a media bundle for all the media required for each Encounter. This allows content to be displayed immediately when needed in a session, without waiting for transfers to complete (the same is true of Battlegrounds' artpacks).

Battlegrounds' Fog of War system uses a combination of dynamic reveals (which are calculated automatically based on light sources present and any special night vision the characters possess) and manual reveals (the GM uses draw tools to reveal or conceal the areas they want). Battlegrounds does not have a line-of-sight-based Fog of War system like MapTools does.

Tech support can take any number of forms. Via forum is the norm, and email support is also very common. On occasion I've even done tech support via Skype, iChat screen-sharing (for Mac users), or via Battlegrounds' built-in chat Lobby.

Hope that answers your questions.

Last edited:

Thanks for the quick response!

That answers all of my questions, and I'll be forwarding the website for battlegrounds to the more tech savvy members of my group (I'm DM, but 2 members have computer degrees/jobs).

Thanks, I may soon see you on your own forums!

heruca

Explorer
BRPG v1.7c has just been released. It is available both as a Full Install, and as a patch for BRPG v1.6m or higher.

Download v1.7c and read more about it here.

heruca

Explorer
The Battlegrounds Games website was recently down for about 5 days. It seems that the webhosting company goofed during a server migration. The site is still on the old server for now, but at least the website and the forums are back.

I hope no one thinks that the outage was some sort of sign that Battlegrounds Games was going the way of the dodo. It most certainly isn't, and rest assured that I would never suddenly "close up shop" like that, without warning. I plan to be around for years to come, and I still have more software updates and add-ons in the works.

Sorry about the prolonged site outage. It was beyond my control.

Remove ads