These are not stories!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
theRuinedOne said:
Ack!! Hey papa_laz, I'm glad you like my Story Hour and all, but please don't attack these other guys and then praise me. That's not exactly the kind of publicity I want starting off. :(

Don't worry Ruined. I don't hold you responsible for this guy not mentioning my story hour. ;)

Dr Midnight

Explorer
What was the name of that song by Denis Leary again?

Goodness me. I'd love to offer something scathing, but P-cat said it best: "the impression people will get from reading your post is that you're less interested in helping people than you are excited to be deliberately insulting to folks who put hundreds of hours into something that you get for free."

As someone who starves and scrapes for any little piece of appreciation I can get from readers of my story hour, I feel like here's yet another reason to let those "why do I do it?" thoughts get more stage time in my head.

DanMcS

Explorer
Grazzt said:
Wow. This thread reminds me of this thread...

How so? You mean, they're both trolls, both threads should be closed, and both originating accounts deleted (do they do that here?). Then yeah, I agree with you. :)

Dragongirl

First Post
DanMcS said:
How so? You mean, they're both trolls, both threads should be closed, and both originating accounts deleted (do they do that here?). Then yeah, I agree with you. :)

I agree.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

This thread is a waste of time and the criticism was not solicited by any author here that I know of.

If any of the author's want advice on how to improve their story hours, I am sure that they can e-mail Papa Laz for information on how to do so.

Pathetic Papa Laz. You had no good reason for posting this considering these story hours are free and you can choose which story hours you want to read. No one asked for a critique and thus there was no reason for one to be given. You just want to feel superior.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
I agree with laz 100%! In fact, I won't pick up any published novels (which of course aren't good because they're not written like good short stories) unless the publisher uses a different color text for dialogue. </sarcasm>

Besides, everyone knows that cntxt's Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil is the best story hour this forum has ever had. :D

Edit: Oh, and I should add that to my knowledge precisely one (1) story hour is written by a professional writer, and I really like that one.

Last edited:

Snoweel

First Post
Which one Dink?

Anyway, I've gotta say that papa_laz has a point, re: that they're not novels, and on most occaisions one does have to wade through (endure) a few boring paragraphs before one is truly sucked in, but COME ON!!!!!!!!!

It's frickin' Story Hour!!!!

For starters it's written for free by a bunch of people who just want to share their good times with others. You think it takes a long time to read Story Hour? It takes much longer to write one.

On top of that, it is the narration of a d20 campaign, which means that it's more real than a novel - kinda like the thrill of seeing a real-life snuff film as opposed to watching Arnie blow legions of stunt-men and extras away in a fictional movie.

Therefore, a Story Hour story has its own charm over a novel.

Not only that, but it's probably the best DMing advice one could find anywhere short of sitting in on a session.

And I think they really are entertaining - while the Ruined One's story hour IS the best written, there are others, like Nemmerle, who is an atrocious writer, but whose Story Hour is probably the best on here, by virtue of his !33+ DMing skillzzz and his brilliant setting of Aquerra.

P.S. I was joking about the merits of snuff-films. I saw one once, titled "Real Life Executions". I wish I never saw it, I just can't forget. It was awful.

Kai Lord

Hero
Piratecat said:
Over the course of reading your post, I have come to the conclusion that you're being a hostile, inflammatory jerk.
Piratecat said:
I will remind folks that no matter how upset you may be, the normal propriety rules of EN World apply. No swearing, no personal insults.
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads