• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Thievery in 5e - still relevant?

Cruentus

Adventurer
You don't even need a rogue any more:
The wizard with proficiency is the best trapfinder
The druid with perception, likewise will find secret doors
Any dex-statted character (which is, like, half of them) with a Criminal or urchin background can pick locks and sneak.
And a bard can pretty much do what a rogue can do, skill-wise, using expertise.

The 'role' of rogue is easily doled out to a party. Despite this, I still think Thief archetype is the best rogue. There's way cooler things to sneak around to find and steal than money.
And don’t forget about the multiclassing and spells all around to further handle “thief-like” needs. Invisibility, silence, fly, spells as rituals not using resources (except time), etc.

I remember (“Back in my day…”) the thief character was the one who scouted ahead of the party to scope out the room, listen at the door, check for and pick locks, check for and remove traps, etc. Many of these things are either less prevalent, less dangerous, or some combination of the above. “Perception” and “Stealth” are available, the aforementioned spells, bard flexibility, multiclassing, etc. all can eat into that niche. Which, don’t get me wrong, is okay, because then you don’t need a thief in the party, but it feels like all the classes are becoming “samey” and focused mostly on the combat elements, and not the “out of adventure” elements.

We would usually encounter things going on in the towns and cities we returned to to spend out coin, which resulted in adventures in the city, which required the thief to climb to upper stories, slip into windows, hide in people’s great halls, etc. so the party could access the site, or sneak in, or whatever. Now we just “misty step” somewhere. It might not be a “heist”, but it required sneaking around the town, and the party followed where the thief scouted the “safe” route. Not so much nowadays.

Scribe

Legend
Magic item purchasing isn't supported by 5e RAW, if I'm not mistaken; and while I too would houserule it in in a heartbeat I'm asking from more of a RAW/as-designed perspective this time.

The de-emphasis on Magic items is one of my persistent issues with 5e as written. From purchasing, to finding, to crafting and expectation of use. Its this void in design to me.

Larnievc

Hero
A conversation with a friend about wealth in D&D in our games vs 5e led to this series of points and questions:

Given that there really isn't much in 5e to spend money on other than relative trivialities such as inn rooms and mundane gear, and given that 5e as written places very little emphasis on downtime between adventures, does the traditional "Thief" archetype within the Rogue class even have a place in the game any more?

Put another way, If money has so little use in 5e, what's the point of stealing it (or in stealing goods that can be liquidated into it)? And if there's no point in stealing, does that spell the end of true thieves? If yes, is that a good thing? If no, how can they be made viable?

By the Thief archetype I mean the character who is the typical party Rogue while in the field but when in town between adventures pulls off a few 'jobs' or heists to enhance either its own personal wealth or that of the party; or who buys and sells information on the side; or who has contacts in many shady places the rest of the PCs might not want to know about.

And note I'm specifically not referring to characters who steal from the party itself.
I dunno man, if you roll a thief type guy your DM should have some thief type encounters to show case their abilities. Can you manage without? Sure! Like if you don't have a dekker your DM shouldn't give you dekker only solvable challenges. Party mostly fighter type? Lots of fights. No monks in your party? Very few abandoned monastery based encounters.

You can do without a lot in 5e. Play what you like and your DM should play to your strengths.

dave2008

Legend
Certainly not IRL. Even if I did, level 6+ adventurers often have thousands of gold rolling around. That's enough to pay for a modest lifestyle for three for over a year, or enough to get a better lifestyle for several months at a time.

IRL, food is a serious concern. In-game, it's barely a footnote.
That all depends of course.

Curious, why do people think PCs are swimming in gold? That is pretty much entirely up to the DM isn't it.

My PCs have to really work to get enough gold to afford the things they need to level up and generally adventure.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That all depends of course.

Curious, why do people think PCs are swimming in gold? That is pretty much entirely up to the DM isn't it.

My PCs have to really work to get enough gold to afford the things they need to level up and generally adventure.
Yeah, I have never had this too much gold problem. Of course, I run homebrew, so there's no doomsday clock (like nearly every WotC AP), so there's room for downtime, and I choose how much money to give out.

So maybe this is another problem with published adventures.

Given that there really isn't much in 5e to spend money on other than relative trivialities such as inn rooms and mundane gear, and given that 5e as written places very little emphasis on downtime between adventures, does the traditional "Thief" archetype within the Rogue class even have a place in the game any more?
There will always be a need for a stealthy urban thief. Wasn't there a whole book about heists recently published?

Stealing a few silvers from the peasantry's pockets isn't worthwhile, no. But now you're stealing things of far more interesting value: signet rings that prove heritage, damning love letters, a potion of wisdom just as it is completed, planting damning love letters, &c. The rest of the party are lookouts and distractions acting cotemporaneously.

During downtime, thieves talk to fences, smugglers, and compatriots to figure out the next score or info for whatever malarkey that the paladin wants to do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads