• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Things That Make a DM Say "Whoa?!?!"

the Jester

Legend
I hate fumble rules so much, but if I was in a game for some reason and the DM decided to use them I would make a halfling barbarian and then not have to worry about it.

I use fumbles, but each player decides whether or not he or she wants them 'enabled'. If not, neither that pc nor any attacks npcs or monsters make against him are subject to the fumble rules.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
As pointed out in a different thread, a level 20 Moon Circle druid has infinite hit points.

Incorrect. The Druid takes all the overflow damage when their animal form "dies", so attrition is not only possible, it's essentially guaranteed.

But even without the overflow damage it's still a long way from "nigh-infinite HP" to "invincible." Insta-kills, Disintegrate have been pointed out as doing the trick.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, basically.

While I admit that I am not a 5E expert, nor a math wiz, I do believe that I read somewhere that Advantage equates to a +5 bonus over a sufficient sample size. Since a PC Wolf Barbarian will be utilizing this feature nearly every (note I did not say all; I realize that it only applies when he is raging) battle of the campaign, that is a fairly consistent and long term sample size, thereby qualifying. Thus my trepidation and use of the "+5 bonus".

The math works out such that if you need to roll a 10 to succeed, then advantage is about equal to a +5 bonus. If you need to roll a 15 or a 5 to succeed, then advantage is about equal to a +2 or +3 bonus. If you need a 2 or a 20 to succeed, then advantage is closer to a +1 bonus. The rules that passive checks with advantage are giving the benefit of the doubt to the passive check.

Joe Liker

First Post
Incorrect. The Druid takes all the overflow damage when their animal form "dies", so attrition is not only possible, it's essentially guaranteed.

But even without the overflow damage it's still a long way from "nigh-infinite HP" to "invincible." Insta-kills, Disintegrate have been pointed out as doing the trick.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, basically.

Yes, "infinite" may be an exaggeration, but the point of this thread is crazy stuff in the new rules that feels like it could be exploited. I think this qualifies, as you'd have to use some very specific tactics to actually kill said druid if you aren't willing or able to endure the battle of attrition.

kerbarian

Explorer
At 3rd level, a chain-pact Warlock with Voice of the Chain Master becomes the (almost) perfect scout. Her familiar can be flying and invisible, and she can telepathically communicate with it and see through its senses at any distance and for an unlimited time. If it gets caught, no big deal -- just re-summon it.

It could steal or plant small objects, and she can also speak through it. Have a quest to find the old sage in the tower, deep in the haunted forest? Just have your invisible familiar spend a day flying there and then chat up the sage while the party hangs out in a tavern.

An Imp can even take on many low-level threats by itself (due to chain pact, it can attack via the Warlock using her action), with no combat risk to the characters.

At 3rd level, a chain-pact Warlock with Voice of the Chain Master becomes the (almost) perfect scout. Her familiar can be flying and invisible, and she can telepathically communicate with it and see through its senses at any distance and for an unlimited time. If it gets caught, no big deal -- just re-summon it.

It could steal or plant small objects, and she can also speak through it. Have a quest to find the old sage in the tower, deep in the haunted forest? Just have your invisible familiar spend a day flying there and then chat up the sage while the party hangs out in a tavern.

An Imp can even take on many low-level threats by itself (due to chain pact, it can attack via the Warlock using her action), with no combat risk to the characters.

Formally known, post-Iron Man 3, as the Tony Stark Maneuver. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads